Do everything waterproof

You would normally find me on the Road Cycling forum however I think this better here.

I am looking for a versatile waterproof jacket. Some of the criteria may not work together but I'd like to try and find something suitable.

Is there a jacket which can do the following:

Packable so single skin
Suitable for bike trail and tour riding
Enough movement for the occasional game of golf, if it rains (I am so sorry for mentioning this)
Suitable as for hillwalking in Spring - Autumn (I have winter gear)
Breathable (well as breathable as any cycling/activity jacket gets)
Budget up to about £150 so lets avoid the really sexy Scandinavian walking kit and Italian cycling kit.

Any suggestions considered.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I should add I already have a road cycling, near race fit waterproof but it other than packable it fails to meet the other criteria.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,524
    edited November 2022
    I have a Berghaus AQ2 jacket. Packs pretty small. About as breathable as a Berghaus copy of Goretex is even likely to be. Has a hood too. I picket mine up a couple of years back from Go Outdoors for about £80.

Edit: this one. Much cheaper now
    https://blacks.c
    o.uk/175220/berghaus-mens-stormcloud-waterproof-jacket-175220/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,488
    edited November 2022
    I’ve got a Patagonia calcite jacket. Can pack it into its own hood but probably not small enough to comfortably stuff in a jersey pocket. Helmet compatible hood, loads of adjustability, under arm vents, brilliant in the rain. Over budget but I picked up a new one on EBay for £150.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • navrig2
    seanoconn said:

I’ve got a Patagonia calcite jacket. Can pack it into its own hood but probably not small enough to comfortably stuff in a jersey pocket. Helmet compatible hood, loads of adjustability, under arm vents, brilliant in the rain. Over budget but I picked up a new one on EBay for £150.

How is it for fabric stiffness?

I find some Goretex fabrics quite stiff and "noisy". The exception was an old, 2nd had Gore paclight I had for a while.

My other outdoor jackets are Paramo which are very soft/quiet but are generally too warm compared to a single layer waterproof.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    Have a look at the Rab Kinetic/Kinetic Alpine. Properly waterproof in a comfortable, quiet, stretchy fabric. Windproof and breathable, too. Mine's replaced 3 other jackets - my cheap hardshell, my mid-layer type softshell (warm-ish but not water/wind proof) and my windproof softshell. The Alpine has reinforced areas but is still very light; the plain Kinetic is crazy lightweight... but I didn't get on with the slightly odd collar/hood arrangement on that one, so the Alpine it was.

2 downsides - no pit-zips (which is an upside on weight/packing), and it may be a tenner or so over your budget unless you can find a great offer. I'd recommend trying one on in an outdoor shop anyway, they're really not like anything else.
  • navrig2
    I've had a look and some of these suggestions look great and can be found within budget. Thanks guys.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

+1 for Rab. Its mega. Also a sucker for a nice bit of North Face. Lots used at work.

If you're presenting to a room full of quiet blokes in Rab and North Face you better know your stuff.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    My friend raves about his assos, I did try it on. Its odd material, I wasn't sure gortex would work but it's paper thin, I've a gortex under armour which is about 5 times as thick. Rrp is about £300, but I think he paid around the 150 on sale. I'll keep an eye myself for one.

https://www.assos.com/gb/equipe-rs-rain-jacket-targa-93701.html
  • navrig2
    After a lot of consideration I couldn't justify my original budget so have gone for a DHB waterproof at about £60. It will do the job.