mtb project woes

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited January 2022 in MTB beginners
Hi All

Just bought a 2016 Stumpy elite. I knew it had some issues, so a bit of a project fix in front of me. Unfortunately the list seems to be growing a bit

Mavic deemax dh wheels - needs replacement bearings, both front and rear - happy to replace myself, just struggling a bit to find (roval hubs. the rear says dt swiss roval 142+) - can anyone recommend? Also needs a replacement spoke - again, best place to find or would any Mavic 27.5 work?

Command dropper post - losing pressure after a few hours. Got it to 20-25psi earlier this morning. Fine until around 3pm then it started to become slower and stopping 2/3 way. Presume leaking, but unsure how often these need re-pressuring anyway

There is also a clicking when putting pressure on the saddle. I've removed it and still there but not when pushing down on just the frame. Appears to be from top of dropper. Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Comments

• chatlow
    with the dropper post, I have just set to 20psi again and decided to dunk it under water when fully up and compressed down. No leaks from the top section, so the schrader valve looks good
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited January 2022
    You can search eBay for the bearings, a few come up when I do a search. Just check the ratings to make sure you are buying from a good seller.

You can sometimes bodge it with the spokes, but I recommend you get the correct spoke length, the front wheel will be different to the back. The back will also generally have 2 different lengths (drive and non-drive side). Here are the 3 lengths you need:
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Mavic/Deemax-DH-27-5-Spare-Spokes-2018-2019-p62843/
  • chatlow
    thanks, I also found that link late last night, had hoped to just get a couple of spokes but will consider.
    Looks like I will need to know the exact bearing number. I tried removing the hub end caps but struggled. Then saw a video of someone using the thru axle to remove them so will try later on.