The Rugby Thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834
    The tournament should have simply been held over 5 straight weekends and players should have had to stay in their bubble for that period. Training base, hotel, travel, match venue and nothing else. Sure, it's tough but they are professional sportsmen and cricketers seem to be managing it for months at a time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,905
    edited February 2021

Rumour is that it was Fabien Galthie who broke the bubble.

They could have looked to postpone by one week as it's a fallow weekend, and made that decision by Tuesday lunchtime.
    Scotland could have then released their players back to the English clubs for this weekend on the proviso the English clubs then released them back again for the revised date.

Given that Scotland and Wales have players moving in and out of their bubbles, I think the French have been unlucky, but the tournament rules should have been crystal clear about what would happen in this situation, afterall they've only had 10 months to realise this was a possibility.

Wasn't there a precedent in the Autumn tests?
    Should have made that clear from the beginning.

Edit - France v Fiji with France receiving a 28-0 BP win. Happy to receive, not so happy to give.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Giving Scotland the points doesn't do anything for the missing TV cash though.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,969
    Pross said:

The tournament should have simply been held over 5 straight weekends and players should have had to stay in their bubble for that period. Training base, hotel, travel, match venue and nothing else. Sure, it's tough but they are professional sportsmen and cricketers seem to be managing it for months at a time.

I agree and it should be held that way (over 5 consecutive weekends) every year. It would then better replicate the World Cup.

pblakeney - different tournament, different rules. The autumn was a mickey mouse affair by comparison to the 6 Nations.

Premiership Rugby have gone from a 5:0 split to a 4:2 points split this season for games that don't go ahead which seems fairer, especially as innocent teams can be impacted later - eg Team A plays Team B on sat. On Monday Team A has positives, so Team B has to isolate resulting in them having to postpone the following Saturday in their match against Team C.
  • pblakeney
    Should have had the protocols defined before beginning in any case.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,969
    Agreed
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Pross said:

There's no reason why it couldn't all have been moved to later in the season this one time. April/May, temperatures higher, less infection going around anyway.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    johngti said:

Pross said:

There's no reason why it couldn't all have been moved to later in the season this one time. April/May, temperatures higher, less infection going around anyway.
    I suppose there isn't but I think sporting fixtures like this have a history and a place in the year. Tradition is important. coats scarves warm beer, freezing pitch, boiling pub.
  • pblakeney
    England win for me today. Home advantage is nothing without the fans, as results have shown.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I think it's difficult to make a score prediction for Eng v Wal.

I am however certain that it will be a dreadful game
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hard to call.
    More interested in our boy getting his 100th cap and setting a new world record in the process.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

Hard to call.
    More interested in our boy getting his 100th cap and setting a new world record in the process.

Most concussions in first 100 appearances?
  • mrb123 said:

Hard to call.

Most concussions in first 100 appearances?
    Excuse me if I don’t find your comment amusing

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Youngest player to reach 100 caps. That's pretty impressive considering his injuries in the last few years and with the challengers that have come and gone for the wing position. A good chance to make that centre spot his for a couple more years now though and it's giving him more chance to get involved.
  • johngti
    Interesting try there!
  • Pross
    edited February 2021
    Not convinced by this referee. Possibly right there but he has seemed a bit on England's backs since the start. Superb cross kick and well played by Biggar.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Caught napping.

Farrell needs to shut his trap.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Caught napping.

Farrell needs to shut his trap.

That's asking for the impossible.
  • Pross
    Ref evening things up now. Very whistle happy.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Not convinced by this referee. Possibly right there but he has seemed a bit on England's backs since the start. Superb cross kick and well played by Biggar.

There is only ever going to be one winner in an argument with a referee.
    Wales will be chuffed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    He's very unclear in his instructions which isn't helping. I'm not a fan of Farrell but I can understand his frustration.
  • Pross
    I really hate the slow approach to the lineout Wales do.
  • johngti
    Ref needs to get the scrums set a bit quicker too
  • johngti
    Even the most one-eyed welsh supporter would say that was a knock on!
  • Pross
    This is an interesting one. My instinct was knock on but the more I see it the more I think he's right but would be seriously pi$$ed off if that went against Wales. Williams did well to keep playing.
  • Pross
    Wales' 6N lucky steak is continuing including help from the posts.
  • Pross
    Good finish by Watson, step gave him the angle to beat two big defenders there.
  • Pross
    Utterly bizarre first half, I think the officials have been smoking something.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited February 2021
    Switched on to a thoroughly bemused Martin Johnson...

Edit - if Big Sam is on England's side I think Msr. LeReferee may have c*cked up...

Edit Edit - ...twice
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • johngti
    Second try seems to be legit