Decathlon Balance Bikes

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Decathlon's balance bike range. Looking into getting http://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-ride-520-mtb-balance-bike-id_8349388.html for my son's 2nd birthday.

I like the fact that it has brakes, versus many others that don't, but want to know if they're actually useable by little people.

Any feedback welcome.
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I bought a bike from Halfords instead because I didn't like the wobbly steering. There were no bearing on the bike, everything is a nylon bush. Plenty seem to get on fine with it but as my boy was a bit big and rough with stuff i decided to go for the Halfords thing instead. Lower seat height, heavy, cheap. Althought I only paid £36 for it (BC discount and they have ramped the price. during the last winter I saw it was on sale for £25!
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/b ... ke-2015-12
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    My daughter loved her decathlon balance bike and even though she's now 5 and on her second 'proper' bike she still likes to play with it on the drive.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I would definitely go for the decathlon one over the Halfords one. We got that exact same bike (Halfords) for our lad and he loved it but tended to just walk about clumsily with it between his legs. Then we happened to get a Strider very cheaply which is a similar design to the Btwin with lighter plastic wheels and lighter frame and he was flying. Don't get too hung up on the brakes, he probably won't use them anyway, thankfully at that age they grow out of shoes before they wear them out ;)
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    See if you can pick up a Puky LRM new or second hand. They are great bikes for littler ones with loads of stand over height.

One tip, the saddle height is really important. Too low and they will just waddle about so it needs to be just high enough to take their weight and allow a comfortable stride.