Castelli sizing

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Do you need to order a size larger with Castelli jerseys? According to their sizing chart I fit a medium but with Italian clothes I've heard they come up smaller. Not sure if Castelli is Italian, sounds Italian...
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Castelli is italian.

The problem I had was getting a pair of bib shorts that were long enough to fit me but weren't designed for someone who weighs 200 pounds. I ended up having to buy a pair for a 44 inch chest. They fit fine (awesome apir of shorts as well) but getting the right size was a nighmare. I would suggest going with 1 size up from what the guide says, mainly to get the length right.
    FCN: 8

"This is what hydrogen does given space and 13 billion years"
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I have just bought a pair of Castelli bib tights. I'm 5' 11'', 12st and they are a snug but ok fit.

Hope that give you a starting position
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    I am of a very slight build and find their stuff fits me well, unlike a lot of US/UK brands which are generally a bit baggy. That ties in with what barriecusvein says.
    You can always send them back if they don't fit.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Sorry I should have said that I bought Large. Vital information missing!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME having the arms of a gibbon helps too - some of the arms lengths on their garments can best be described as 'generous'
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I found a medium Castelli Jersey to be perfect for my medium-sized torso. I'm 5'10", 38" chest, 32" waist 75kg.

The difficulties in sizing people report are mainly on bib shorts, jerseys are much easier. Go with the chart.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I find Jerseys are the same as most brands with sizing. I'm 38 chest, 32 waist just under 6 feet and a Medium is perfect.

Bibs - go a size up!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I'm 5'8" with 37" chest and 30" waist and I've got the medium jersey. Best piece of cycling gear I've ever bought. Sleeves perfect length for me. Have hardly had it off me this last month since I bought it.
  • Have any of you people heard of food.

I had to send a Castelli top back last year as I couldnt get may arms in without turning my hands blue and doing the zip up had the fabric at the edge of its elastic tolerance. It was an XXXL!!!

I am 6 foot and 15 stone and ex-rugby player (with build to match) but this was no good for my thin cyclist ego.

Seriously Castelli tops IME are made for small Italian men who don't live with their mothers (can't cook, wont cook!)
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • chriskempton
    Barry Nice wrote:
    Have any of you people heard of food.

I had to send a Castelli top back last year as I couldnt get may arms in without turning my hands blue and doing the zip up had the fabric at the edge of its elastic tolerance. It was an XXXL!!!

I am 6 foot and 15 stone and ex-rugby player (with build to match) but this was no good for my thin cyclist ego.

Seriously Castelli tops IME are made for small Italian men who don't live with their mothers (can't cook, wont cook!)

I think you're just not a "normal" cyclist :wink:
    Castelli jersey sizing is IME no different to Assos, Giordana, Gore, Descente or anyone else's. You would have the same issue with all of them. Lose some weight, fatty :lol:
  • cymro68
    cymro68 Posts: 9
    Castelli jersey sizing is IME no different to Assos, Giordana, Gore, Descente or anyone else's. You would have the same issue with all of them. Lose some weight, fatty :lol:

What would you suggest when the sizing chart gives one size for the waist but another for height? I’m 5’11”and 31” waist. Sizing chart for Bib shorts give M for waist 30 – 32, L waist 32-34, but on the height, M is 5’8” to 5’10”, L is 5’10” to 6’.
    :roll: :roll:
  • Barry Nice
    Barry Nice Posts: 50
    edited April 2009
    chriskempton: I am sure you are being a sarcastic Yorkshireman rather than being personally offensive (I did notice your emoticon) but I would bet good money that I am carrying comparable levels of bodyfat to most cyclists. Weight does not always mean fat and bodyfat is not the only reason why some cycling clothing does not fit. Try playing a high standard of rugby and going to the gym for weights work 4-5 times a week for 15 years and see if you fit into a Castelli top.

I dont have tops from Assos or Giordana (just bibs), but I do have tops by Gore and Descente in XL which are a relaxed fit. so NO I dont have the same issue with all of them.

I am sure you thought you were being helpful and/or funny but either I am having a bad day or you are mistaken on both counts
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    cymro68 wrote:

What would you suggest when the sizing chart gives one size for the waist but another for height? I’m 5’11”and 31” waist. Sizing chart for Bib shorts give M for waist 30 – 32, L waist 32-34, but on the height, M is 5’8” to 5’10”, L is 5’10” to 6’.

I'd suggest you go and try them on or order from somewhere that allows you to order boths sizes and return the those that don't fit and doesn't charge a restock fee such as Wiggle.
  • chriskempton
    cymro68 wrote:

I'd suggest using some common sense, or as Doyler says order from somewhere you can order both and return one, or switch if it's wrong.

I'm not looking to become an advisory service on Castelli sizing, I'm just trying to say that their jerseys are the same as anyone else's IME.
  • chriskempton
    Barry Nice wrote:
    chriskempton: I am sure you are being a sarcastic Yorkshireman rather than being personally offensive (I did notice your emoticon) but I would bet good money that I am carrying comparable levels of bodyfat to most cyclists. Weight does not always mean fat and bodyfat is not the only reason why some cycling clothing does not fit. Try playing a high standard of rugby and going to the gym for weights work 4-5 times a week for 15 years and see if you and fit into a Castelli top.

I dont have tops from Assos or Giordana (just bibs), but I do have tops by Gore and Descente in XL which are a relaxed fit. so NO I dont have the same issue with all of them.

I am sure you thought you were being helpful and/or funny but either I am having a bad day or you are mistaken on both counts

Sorry Barry wasn't meaning to offend, but I happen to be a small Italian man who lives with his mother, so you'd better apologise too.

:lol:
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    i have similar issue
    32 waist but 6" 1 looking to buy team bib shorts
    do i go with L or Xl because of height?
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I find Casellti stuff is a size larger than assos; so I am a medium in Castelli ladies gear, but a large in assos ladies gear. Their sizing guide is correct. Only trade up a jersey size if you prefer a baggier, less race-fit jersey. I wouldn't do that with shorts though - you don't want them moving about whilst you're riding.
  • In my experience Casteli is typically on the small side - so you need a size bigger than normal Nalini, or Biemmie, Lusso. I just got hold of a Cervelo Aero jersey and shorts- they are made from really stretchy lycra for a tight fit - but to feel comfortable I need 2 sizes bigger- they might become my summer kit and at least give me the motivation to get lean1!1
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    just found this modified version of the castelli size chart which makes it all a lot clearer.......

http://www.classiccycling.com/castelli- ... zp-13.html
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    I have some castelli clothing , at 6' the large shorts/bibs for the length , slim-med build med top - gives a tight/race fit in both jacket and jerseys.
    large top gives a looser fit so would probably fit 40" chest + , hop this helps but as suggested earlier , if in doubt order both and send one back.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    6'2 and just inside 13 stone - xxl in castelli with one of their aero jerseys - meant to be a close fit and it is - couldn't go any smaller. Also got a castelli waterproof - it's snug and it's an xl. So it partly depends on what the fit is supposed to be but certainly for tops castelli fits typically Italian.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I think the problem a lot of people have with Castelli stuff is the length, expect it to feel very short at the front when you're standing up and relatively tight across the chest.

For the record I am about 6'2" and can generally wear XL in Castelli and get a relatively 'race' fit. XXL still fits but is slightly more relaxed.
  • I have several items of Castelli clothing and always size up,do find arm & leg length a bit long but otherwise fit is perfect.
    I'm 5'10 and 12 stone , size Large.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    6'1", c 15st, bought Castelli bib tights in December and they feel spot on. Size XL. 42" chest, 35" waist and 34" inside leg. This, contrary to earlier posts on individual's size is a fairly average build for my height and age (if you don't believe me see how many 42" jackets or 36 waist 33 inside leg trousers are left on the rail in M&S).

However, my dilemma is will the bib shorts be long enough??
    Someone's just passed me again
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I'm 6ft 1in, 85kg, 42 inch chest, and an XXL in Castelli sizing (two sizes up from what I normally take in other brands)
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 98
    edited August 2021
    I tried few Castellis (aero, endurance, competition)
    I'm 181cm, 83cm weist, 72kg... according to charts I should use M....
    I tried Large, and the bib straps were way too short, I'd feel so exhausted after 20 mins on a bike ... and no space at all at crotch area....
    WTF ?
    I like to colours etc. but i can't use it. I'm worried that XL would be loose at hems...
    For now, i took Gore C5 Large (again, instead of M) and it's super comfy.
    Is it a problem with all Castelli models ?
  • I tried a sale price Castelli jesrsey and gilet, L and XL too small. The XL gilet wouldn't even do up round my waist every other make I have tried a L has been fine.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    edited September 2021
    How does it compare to my normal fave brand, Endura? I'm a L in their gear, fits me a treat. Castelli...XL?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • What ever size you wear with any other manufacturer, put the word ‘child’ before it with Castelli. They do size tight, so yeah go one size up from your normal size, and you’ll be fine.
  • You often hear Castelli comes up small, but the size guides say medium for me, and medium fits. Everyone is different, of course.