Cycling jacket

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
eldarp
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 am

Cycling jacket

Postby eldarp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 09:54 am

I buy a bike jacket so I have a dilemma between the two models so I would ask if anyone has experience with the same to share their opinion. I need the jacket for temperatures of 5-15 ° C for these cold autumn mornings.
I choose between:

1. Bontrager Velocis S1

2. Endura Pro SL Thermal II

If there is any other suggestion feel free to suggest.

Thanks in advance for your help

Fenix
Posts: 4601
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 14:25 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Fenix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 am

I have a slightly earlier version of this - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-equinox-softshell/

It gets a lot of use around about now. In fact I don't think I needed my full winter jacket last year ?

It would be too warm at 15 degrees mind you - but I think any jacket that covers you for 5 degrees would be.

Do you have armwarmers ? https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/pren ... rm-warmers

Imposter
Posts: 10351
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Imposter » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am

eldarp wrote: I need the jacket for temperatures of 5-15 ° C for these cold autumn mornings.
I choose between:


Sounds like two jackets to me. A jacket that would work in 5c would probably see you overheating at anything over 8-10c..

User avatar
Step83
Posts: 3249
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:23 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Step83 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am

Both windproof

https://galibier.cc/product/gino-pro-wind-jacket/

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-transition-jacket/

Not windproof

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/morvelo-strand ... ve-jersey/

DHB used to carry some jackets similar to the above that were wind proof which made them great for this temps and below if you put on another layer. Other option would be a Gilet?

eldarp
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 am

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby eldarp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Step83 wrote:Both windproof

https://galibier.cc/product/gino-pro-wind-jacket/

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-transition-jacket/

Not windproof

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/morvelo-strand ... ve-jersey/

DHB used to carry some jackets similar to the above that were wind proof which made them great for this temps and below if you put on another layer. Other option would be a Gilet?

Thank you. Castelli Transition is very interesting to me. I'll take her into consideration as well. As things stand now, I'll probably choose between Casteli and Bontrager.

edward.s
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby edward.s » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Stolen Goat climb-and-conquer? https://stolengoat.com/product-category ... g-jackets/

Very pleased with mine, managed to pick it up half price as an ex demo.

User avatar
Navrig2
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:16 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Navrig2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 18:01 pm

Castelli Perfetto.

On its own at the upper temps and with a merino baselayer at the lower temps.

PBlakeney
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby PBlakeney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 18:52 pm

I got one of these a couple of years ago and have found no reason to replace it.
Works from ice to 8 deg for me, best of all, it has never rained while I've had it on. Jinxed now. :evil:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-performa ... 3299942600
I use a lightweight jacket for when the temp will be above 8 deg.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

User avatar
Pinno
Posts: 34969
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:37 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Pinno » Thu Oct 10, 2019 20:24 pm

The Aldi stuff is pretty good vfm. Just added another merino base layer from there and I bought 2 pairs of the merino socks last year. Wish I had bought more; they're just nice to wear all the time.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

KingstonGraham
Posts: 7166
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 19:54 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:15 am

Navrig2 wrote:Castelli Perfetto.

On its own at the upper temps and with a merino baselayer at the lower temps.


Same. Then with packable waterproof for wet (or cold descents to keep all the wind off) and buff/warm gloves as required for lower temperatures.

I don't think I wore a jacket other than the waterproof last winter.
and then the next thing you know

User avatar
Navrig2
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:16 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Navrig2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 07:43 am

KingstonGraham wrote:
Navrig2 wrote:Castelli Perfetto.

On its own at the upper temps and with a merino baselayer at the lower temps.


Same. Then with packable waterproof for wet (or cold descents to keep all the wind off) and buff/warm gloves as required for lower temperatures.

I don't think I wore a jacket other than the waterproof last winter.


For light to medium rain I don't bother with a waterproof. The Perfetto has a good DWR when clean and sheds rain quite well. The only problem is that the pocket holes don't drain quickly enough so anything in the pocket has to be waterproof or bagged.

It's not cheap though. I got mine in the Black Friday sales two years ago at half price. I wouldn't pay full price.

User avatar
Pinno
Posts: 34969
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:37 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby Pinno » Sat Oct 12, 2019 22:32 pm

A very good and cheaper option to the Perfetto/other Castelli jackets is the DHB all weather*.
I cannot praise it enough. I have both the Espresso 4 and the DHB and I think that the DHB is slightly more versatile.
Couldn't get on with the Alpha so I sold it and put the money towards the Espresso 4, which is A1.

*Yes, I know it's really a softshell.

For the OP, this might be of interest:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/21 ... ng-jackets
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

KingstonGraham
Posts: 7166
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 19:54 pm

Re: Cycling jacket

Postby KingstonGraham » Sun Oct 13, 2019 18:43 pm

Navrig2 wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
Navrig2 wrote:Castelli Perfetto.

On its own at the upper temps and with a merino baselayer at the lower temps.


Same. Then with packable waterproof for wet (or cold descents to keep all the wind off) and buff/warm gloves as required for lower temperatures.

I don't think I wore a jacket other than the waterproof last winter.


For light to medium rain I don't bother with a waterproof. The Perfetto has a good DWR when clean and sheds rain quite well. The only problem is that the pocket holes don't drain quickly enough so anything in the pocket has to be waterproof or bagged.

It's not cheap though. I got mine in the Black Friday sales two years ago at half price. I wouldn't pay full price.


To be honest, mine is from when it was a long sleeved Gabba. Still going ok after 4 years except for the hole in the back where it fell off its bike, I much prefer it to the short sleeve gabba or the endura equivalent.
and then the next thing you know


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests