Get It While You Can!!..Age The Great Leveller!

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Wayne Plunger

Re: Get It While You Can!!..Age The Great Leveller!

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:42 pm

Franco di Banco wrote:As we're willy waving....I did the Staveley Sportif on my 70th. 55 miles and 5,500 ft in less than 4 hours. And I was second over 70, by about 45 minutes.

Don't know about willy waving, after six hours in the saddle I have a problem finding it let alone waving it!!!

Franco di Banco

Postby Franco di Banco » Sun Jul 14, 2019 15:02 pm

After 6 hours????
3 hours is well above my limit!!!

handful

Postby handful » Sun Jul 14, 2019 20:15 pm

A lot depends on how much riding you did vs how much you do now. I usually average around 16-17mph or a bit less with a more hilly ride but regularly get Strava PBs at the age of 57. On my 15 mile commute (when I do it) I usually average 17-17.5mph but that's pan flat albeit usually quite windy!

I only started cycling around 8 years ago and I'm probably as fit now as I've been during that time. Had a PB going up Cheddar gorge today! Not fast I hasten to add, just a PB for me!

So what I'm saying is, if you were a good cyclist doing a lot of miles when you were younger then there will be more of a drop off than an older starter gradually putting more hours in each week.
Vaaru Titanium Sram eTap HRD
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
Intense Spider 29er - mud

amrushton

Postby amrushton » Sun Jul 14, 2019 20:32 pm

I'm 60 this year. Commute 25 miles per day 5 days week on a fixed. Try to get out on a day at w/end but I have a young daughter so she needs to do her things and my wife has her running ( 5 - 17 miles depending how she feels). Ebikes? Not yet, but I've met people who are using them and have had various surgeries and might have had to give up riding. One guy I met recently was cycling Sheffield - Ulverston over a couple of days and used the battery to get him up the big climbs. He was older than me and had had a couple of ops but was able to get out and enjoy himself - chapeau

blueturtle

Postby blueturtle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 21:18 pm

Its all in the mind. Last month I did 100 miles at an average speed of 18.6 mph With the fast lads in my club.Saturday training rides 60+miles average 18.5 to 20 mph. I am 73 and have no intention of slowing down. I reiterate its all in the mind . Do not give in to old age . I am no one special . Just believe in yourself.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 08:41 am

62 in a couple of months. Been riding a road bike for 12 years. Never been very powerful or quick; 15mph is the fastest average speed I've ever managed, and that was on an hour long ride where I made a conscious effort to really push myself. Usually manage a couple of 20 mile-ish evening rides a week and a longer weekend 40-50. I'll definitely do more when I retire.

Kangarouge

Postby Kangarouge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 16:10 pm

Does it really matter whether you're faster or slower now than you used to be, or what average speed you do? Surely the main criteria is - are you enjoying your riding. Lack of speed is presumably only relevant if you're competing. One doesn't need to go fast to enjoy oneself.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 16:20 pm

Annoyingly I never really bothered to work out how fast I was 40+ years ago when I had hair, testosterone and thighs like trees. I know I could push much bigger gears than I do now.

I still enjoy my cycling regardless of speed, but the money I used to spend on shiny things is now going on fitting easier gearing :D

Tiesetrotter

Postby Tiesetrotter » Tue Jul 16, 2019 05:05 am

Kangarouge wrote:Does it really matter whether you're faster or slower now than you used to be, or what average speed you do? Surely the main criteria is - are you enjoying your riding. Lack of speed is presumably only relevant if you're competing. One doesn't need to go fast to enjoy oneself.

Depends whether you want to do well at LVRC events or not, no one is slowing down for age in those.

Return to “Road General”