Campervan

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
PhilipPirrip

Re: Campervan

Postby PhilipPirrip » Fri Jul 12, 2019 15:16 pm

One of my best bits of kit in the camper is my washing machine - it's a 60 litre dry bag.

Just collect some clean water from a river or lake in the bag, add some no rinse, environmentally friendly washing liquid, chuck in your clothes and seal it up. As you're driving along the clothes get agitated and by the time you arrive at your destination just wring them out and hang them up to dry.

Works a treat.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 19:14 pm

PhilipPirrip wrote:One of my best bits of kit in the camper is my washing machine - it's a 60 litre dry bag.

Just collect some clean water from a river or lake in the bag, add some no rinse, environmentally friendly washing liquid, chuck in your clothes and seal it up. As you're driving along the clothes get agitated and by the time you arrive at your destination just wring them out and hang them up to dry.

Works a treat.

I like that very much. Do you have to tweak the suspension for stubborn stains? :) Just need a more hefty version of a salad dryer and you can spin them out as well.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

cougie

Postby cougie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 19:27 pm

Get a black dry bag and leave in the sun and you've got all your water for a solar shower !

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 21:20 pm

My parents are a few weeks from selling their house. Having not found a house they like it's visiting relatives via motorhome. A couple of house sittings then motorhome until they get a new house. Not bad if you ask me.

We're a family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old). We don't need a large van. So we've bought a panel van l1h1 Vauxhall Vivaro. It'll get converted in time. Just like it will become our only vehicle. It's a good van, right size and good nick. Above all it's not a vw. So it's a grand cheaper, 2 years younger and any 60k mileage leas then a vw costing the same price. Added benefit was the cab is roomier. Three of us fit into the vivaro and a vw. The only difference is I can't fit in the passenger seat with our son there too. It cuts in at the waist which means I have to sit leaning over. IMHO the 2 seat bench isn't a full 2 seat more like a large single seat. The vw t5 does drive well though. Not quite enough to make it worth the scene tax though.

So we're going to convert and my partner likes the way our seat car shifts (only 138bhp). So she wants to get the van re-mapped. It's a 114bhp van but I heard they can be easily remapped up to 160bhp if you wanted to. Then it's a car substitute and day van. Weekends and longer. We might camp in the van or use a tent. Does that mean it's not earning it's keep? Is it not cost effective? Would we be better off staying in hotels? Tell that to the future us after we've lived the memories to prove your wrong.

Singleton

Postby Singleton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 03:04 am

We had one for a couple of years - did some good trips in it.
But we've gone back to a car and will rent airbnb or similar.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:25 pm

I fancy one (converted Transporter or Transit size) to do some touring. The thing that puts me off is that if I'm staying somewhere a few nights I don't want to use it for any day trips. On my own I would simply cycle to places but there's no way my wife and daughter would so we'll stick with a tent for the time being

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sat Jul 13, 2019 17:11 pm

Must admit I hankered after one for many years then when it came to it looked at the cost of a decent one and all the malarky that goes with it and gave up on the idea. We bought an apartment abroad instead.

Everything is there for us when we get there if we fly out. If we drive down just do hotels en route with an overnight bag.

Friend of mine (more money than sense) has a massive Fiat based one (circa 80k) think he has used it twice in five years!!

NB. Never had a work pension so no lump sum!!!

joey54321

Postby joey54321 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 20:29 pm

An apartment instead of a van??? Was the van gold plated or something?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 21:19 pm

Apartment? €30k hovel I think if a van is too expensive. No offence meant but where can you buy a 30k apartment such is enough to get a good van Then you have the furniture, pots, plates, etc. Flights out there. Makes owning a van seem cheap for sure. However we all make our choices, I just can't see how cost of a campervan would force you to make the apartment purchase.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Jul 13, 2019 21:27 pm

I don't see anyone saying they bought an apartment for £30k. I assumed that they were talking relative values e.g. felt that £150k on an apartment was a better investment than a camper van?

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Jul 13, 2019 21:53 pm

An example of cost comparison was given. £80k will buy a decent apartment in some very pleasant areas. Or a hovel in a posh area.

Wayne Plunger wrote:Friend of mine (more money than sense) has a massive Fiat based one (circa 80k) think he has used it twice in five years!!
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:16 pm

Pross wrote:I don't see anyone saying they bought an apartment for £30k. I assumed that they were talking relative values e.g. felt that £150k on an apartment was a better investment than a camper van?

The paragraph (in summary) said that they wanted a van but the cost put then off, so they bought an apartment instead. You can get very good campervans such as a Ford custom conversion for about £31k hence my comment about buying an apartment for that. If you're not buying a van due to cost and hassle buying the extras, then buy an apartment. Well is it the cost or the extras needed that's less with an apartment? I can't see how buying an apartment is hassle free neither.

The £80k was discussed in a later paragraph that I took as another anecdote. It was not given as an example of the cost of a typical campervan more an exceptionally expensive one. If you look at an apartment equivalent you're not looking at the cheaper end such as £150k. That's if you compare like for like. Such as near the top spec van vs near the top spec apartment.

However this is all irrelevant because these things are personal choice. It seems a little like some want to try to turn it into an argument about how vans are not a good choice. I am falling into this argument like a right sucker for pointless debates. Time to leave that debate and go back to the nice van stories.

My latest story is that we picked up our new panel van. This will over time be converted into a campervan. We're taking our time as we're not made of money. We want a good job so going to a really good converter and working with them to convert it in stages. It'll be worth it in our view.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Jul 13, 2019 22:48 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:However this is all irrelevant because these things are personal choice.

End of.
The rest is just purchase validation.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 02:46 am

NB.

Back in 2006 when we bought said apartment Euro rate was 1.50 to the pound.

Annual running costs including pool condo less than a grand a year.

As an aside half a mile from the local campsite so we have plenty of campervan neighbours. Used to be predominantly Brits but the French seem to be the majority now.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 04:37 am

Wayne Plunger wrote:NB.

Back in 2006 when we bought said apartment Euro rate was 1.50 to the pound

Annual running costs including pool condo less than a grand a year.

As an aside half a mile from the local campsite so we have plenty of campervan neighbours. Used to be predominantly Brits but the French seem to be the majority now.

Guess you will be hit with CGT when you sell, unless the pound recovers.

PhilipPirrip

Postby PhilipPirrip » Sun Jul 14, 2019 06:13 am

Tangled Metal wrote:However this is all irrelevant because these things are personal choice. It seems a little like some want to try to turn it into an argument about how vans are not a good choice. I am falling into this argument like a right sucker for pointless debates. Time to leave that debate and go back to the nice van stories.

My latest story is that we picked up our new panel van. This will over time be converted into a campervan. We're taking our time as we're not made of money. We want a good job so going to a really good converter and working with them to convert it in stages. It'll be worth it in our view.

Indeed, there has been a lot of what is akin to mansplaining going on here that has nothing to do with the OP's questions.

Amazingly, owning a van or staying in other accommodation isn't a binary choice, you can do both. I suspect, and I've seen this quite a few times, that some people have a naive attraction to campervanning but the reality doesn't correlate with their need for comfort and/or it's an adventure too far for them, which is fine as it's not compulsory, but don't judge other by such limited thinking. It's why whenever someone talks about buying a vehicle I suggest hire or borrow one first to see if it's for you or not.

As for the conversion, definitely take your time deciding what you want. Nothing worse than coming up with ideas and plans for your design and all the things you want included only to realise it doesn't feel comfortable and homely once you're on the road.

When I had mine converted I hadn't thought about a long enough seating area to be able to jump in the back for a cat nap during the day on long drives. It was a simple thing I'd overlooked but makes a huge difference, particularly as a solo traveller, to prevent driving tired. Thankfully it was a simple matter of a carpenter friend cutting out a couple of panels and dropping a cupboard lid to make the seating nearly six foot long.

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Sun Jul 14, 2019 06:37 am

PhilipPirrip wrote:
Indeed, there has been a lot of what is akin to mansplaining going on here that has nothing to do with the OP's questions.

...this is the Cake Stop remember.

proto

Postby proto » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 am

If it helps, I paid £21k for my 2013, 70k miles van. Fairly basic by some standards but we’ve been living in it full time quite happily for two months.

Like most things in life, vans are a compromise. More road friendly, buy small. Want space, buy big. And so on. You need to decide what you want it for - weekends away, couple of weeks holiday, or full time. You need to decide where you’re goin* to take it - big Motorhome in Devon? No thanks.

I’m now just outside Brioude. Had my lunch and a cup of tea, waiting for Le Tour to come past in a few hours.

Return to “The Cake Stop”