Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
User avatar
Cowsham
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:15 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Cowsham » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 am

Good gears, brakes, bearings are important but most important is fit -- make sure it's the right size -- too big and you'll always struggle to lug the thing about -- too small and you'll be uncomfortable and not get the power down. The cube has good enough gear for the money and I'm happy with it having ridden it from November last year the 30 miles round trip to work and back every other day. Get a scoot on one first. Oh and if your on road a lot or on bridle paths and hard trail put a pair of hybrid tyres or city tyres on -- I'm getting mine ready for a big camping trip and thought I'd put the smart Sam's back on to see if I could hack them -- but I put the city tyres back on again as the 30 road / trail miles on the Sam's was tough going.

Peug26
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Peug26 » Tue May 14, 2019 01:08 am

Cowsham wrote:Good gears, brakes, bearings are important but most important is fit -- make sure it's the right size -- too big and you'll always struggle to lug the thing about -- too small and you'll be uncomfortable and not get the power down. The cube has good enough gear for the money and I'm happy with it having ridden it from November last year the 30 miles round trip to work and back every other day. Get a scoot on one first. Oh and if your on road a lot or on bridle paths and hard trail put a pair of hybrid tyres or city tyres on -- I'm getting mine ready for a big camping trip and thought I'd put the smart Sam's back on to see if I could hack them -- but I put the city tyres back on again as the 30 road / trail miles on the Sam's was tough going.


According to quite a few websites I have seen they seem to recommend 18" or 19" for a 27.5 and 19" or L for the 29.

The Cube seems to have excellent gear for the money. The more I compare it to sub £1200 trail MTBs (HT) the more this seems to be the case). They mustn't be making a lot of money on it I would have thought.

I am leaning more towards the Acid Eagle since it has the SRAM gear and a 1x12 (opposed to the 2x11 Shimano on the Acid). A lot of people seem to sing praises to 1x and wherever I read they keep saying that 2x is pretty much out of fashion.

I don't intend to ride on tarmac so shouldn't need hybrid tyres on?

User avatar
Cowsham
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:15 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Cowsham » Tue May 14, 2019 10:08 am

Peug26 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Good gears, brakes, bearings are important but most important is fit -- make sure it's the right size -- too big and you'll always struggle to lug the thing about -- too small and you'll be uncomfortable and not get the power down. The cube has good enough gear for the money and I'm happy with it having ridden it from November last year the 30 miles round trip to work and back every other day. Get a scoot on one first. Oh and if your on road a lot or on bridle paths and hard trail put a pair of hybrid tyres or city tyres on -- I'm getting mine ready for a big camping trip and thought I'd put the smart Sam's back on to see if I could hack them -- but I put the city tyres back on again as the 30 road / trail miles on the Sam's was tough going.


According to quite a few websites I have seen they seem to recommend 18" or 19" for a 27.5 and 19" or L for the 29.

The Cube seems to have excellent gear for the money. The more I compare it to sub £1200 trail MTBs (HT) the more this seems to be the case). They mustn't be making a lot of money on it I would have thought.

I am leaning more towards the Acid Eagle since it has the SRAM gear and a 1x12 (opposed to the 2x11 Shimano on the Acid). A lot of people seem to sing praises to 1x and wherever I read they keep saying that 2x is pretty much out of fashion.

I don't intend to ride on tarmac so shouldn't need hybrid tyres on?


Fair enough but check out whether you could live with the way the shifters work on the sram gears -- get a ride on it and compare it to shimano -- I couldn't tolerate it especially if you were riding technical bits of a trail. I like the 2 rings as it gives me more top end speed plus I don't follow fashion or trends ( I like to think I set them -- or could be delusional ) with the 15 mile run to work I like to be able to horse on if I'm running a bit late or get a puncture and have to make up time.

User avatar
figbat
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby figbat » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

My MTB has three rings up front - I are dinosaur.

In truth I rarely use anything other than the middle ring, but when I need the granny ring I really appreciate it, and occasionally on a stretch of road or smooth trail descent the big ring gets a workout. I could cover the range with a larger cassette and 2 or 1 rings but then the step between gears would get wider and I spend more time moving up and down the intermediates than I do crawling up a climb or flying down a hill.

User avatar
steve_sordy
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 08:38 am

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby steve_sordy » Tue May 14, 2019 13:30 pm

Cowsham wrote:...................

Fair enough but check out whether you could live with the way the shifters work on the sram gears -- get a ride on it and compare it to shimano -- I couldn't tolerate it especially if you were riding technical bits of a trail. ...............


Shimano and SRAM shifters look similar and are mostly the same, At specific price points their performance is very similar to each other. SRAM and Shimnao compete with each other pretty ferociously after all. But they differ in a fundamental way in how the shifters work on the trail. You will either like this difference, loathe it, or get used to operating either after a moment's thought. I didn't realise there was such a difference until I bought a bike that had SRAM kit (after years of Shimnao only).

Shimano shifters operate with finger pull to release the chain to drop down to the smaller gears under mech spring pressure. They require a thumb push on the big lever to push the chain up the bigger gears against the spring pressure. Shimano shifters also allow you to push the small lever with your thumb, like SRAM. SRAM shifters are thumb only for both levers. No finger option.

This sounds like a disadvantage for SRAM because it isn't as versatile as Shimano. But Shimano is clearly set up for finger/thumb shifting and everything Shimano has done, from their I-spec mounts, to the shape of the lever bodies and the way they integrate with the Shimano brake bodies, all points to Shimano's design preference for finger/thumb shifting. If I try to use the thumb/thumb option on Shimano kit, then I cannot get the various levers (brake and shifter) in the right position for me, especially if using the I-spec mounts. Even if I revert to a separate clamp for brake and shifter, the newer body shapes interfere with each other such that I can't get the angular separation I'm looking for. So If I've got Shimano kit, I use it the way it was designed to be, and it works fine.

What I like about SRAM, is that it is set up for thumb/thumb operation. This allows me to keep my index finger on the brake lever 100% of the time, shifting only with my thumb. I have no problem getting all the various levers to work well with each other. This means that I can brake and shift at the same time if required. Until I got my first SRAM kit I had not realised what a restriction not being able to brake and shift at the same time had been. The only small downside of the thumb/thumb operation is that on rough trails when shifting down to smaller gears, under vibration my thumb can press the lever several times instead of once. Because it is trigger release and is powered by the mech spring, then I will get several shifts by accident. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened to me. This has never happened on Shimano finger/thumb operation.

Both systems work extremely well for me, but on balance I prefer SRAM and that is after most of my biking life being on Shimano. I had two bikes at the same time, one Shimano and one SRAM. I found that I couldn't make the mental adjustment fast enough at key times after switching from one bike to the other and I was missing crucial shifts. I had to decide which way to go and I converted both to SRAM; that is now my preference. But right now I'm down to one bike with Shimano kit and although I would have preferred SRAM, I wont be spending any money to convert it. As I said, both systems work extremely well for me.

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby JBA » Tue May 14, 2019 15:34 pm

Contrary to Steve's experience I have no problem at all using Shimano shifters as thumb-thumb or thumb-finger. I predominantly use thumb-thumb but quite often use thumb finger just for a change.
Maybe I have a Shimano-shaped and sized hand but have never had a problem with brake/shifter positions and I have used bar mount, iSpec B and iSpec II.
On my previous full susser (Specialized Stumpjumper FSR) I had SRAM kit and that never presented a problem either.
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant XTC Advanced+ 2 2018 ¦ Giant Defy 1 2015
Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Peug26
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Peug26 » Thu May 16, 2019 16:10 pm

This might sound a daft question and side stepping but if I had the opportunity to buy the Marin nail Trail 7 2018 for £950 (discounted from £1600) would that be better than the Cube Acid Eagle 2019 (£800 discounted from £890)?

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby JBA » Thu May 16, 2019 21:51 pm

I’d say it is. Better forks, better brakes and comes with a dropper post.
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant XTC Advanced+ 2 2018 ¦ Giant Defy 1 2015
Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Peug26
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Peug26 » Fri May 17, 2019 17:15 pm

Well I am the eagerly awaiting owner of a Marin Nail Trail 2018 (L, 27.5). After all various discounts got it for £909. Thank you very much for your patience and advice everyone :D

User avatar
JBA
Posts: 2251
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:02 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby JBA » Fri May 17, 2019 19:05 pm

Great price.
Where did you get it from?
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant XTC Advanced+ 2 2018 ¦ Giant Defy 1 2015
Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Peug26
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:35 pm

Re: Can I get better trail bike than Boardman MHT 8.9 for the same price?

Postby Peug26 » Fri May 17, 2019 21:31 pm

It's from Chain Reaction. I preferred the look and colourway of the Cube Acid but I couldn't say no to the Marin at that price.


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests