Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Surrey Commuter

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Surrey Commuter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 19:51 pm

Man Utd claim to have 1.1billion followers, why does nobody pull them up on this obviously made up number.

If you rule out all those too young to have an opinion or old enough to remember a world without foreign football on the TV, most of India, most women and people with no electricity then that makes nearly one of us a follower.

In 30 seconds you can ascertain that they only have 100 million FB friends which is an incredibly low barrier to being counted as a follower, yet they have chosen to multiply this number by eleven and present it to investors

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:01 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:Man Utd claim to have 1.1billion followers, why does nobody pull them up on this obviously made up number.

If you rule out all those too young to have an opinion or old enough to remember a world without foreign football on the TV, most of India, most women and people with no electricity then that makes nearly one of us a follower.

In 30 seconds you can ascertain that they only have 100 million FB friends which is an incredibly low barrier to being counted as a follower, yet they have chosen to multiply this number by eleven and present it to investors

There is some "standard" for measuring TV viewers of sporting events. It's something like counting 15 min blocks as separate events, so if you watch a whole game it is counted as 6 viewers. Clearly nonsense and leads to claims of x billion watching the world cup, olympics etc.

Not sure that explains your Man U followers other than to say such nonsense is endemic in sport.

Attendance at Arsenal is the same thing as ticket sales which is clearly absurd. They must know actual attendance for safety reasons, but it is a closely guarded secret.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:04 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
As Steve said, life is too short to do two things: drive rubbish cars and drink cheap wine.

Life is too short to spend it driving cars on a regular basis. That is not a pro bike comment just an anti commute comment.

Who said anything about commuting? Quite a few cars are fun enough to drive just for the hell of it.

I get there are places I might want to drive. None of them are anywhere near me though. The idea there is a car I want to drive in, say, SE England intrigued me. But clearly, it's just one of those things I am not going to get like putting mint on lamb.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:40 pm

TheBigBean wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
As Steve said, life is too short to do two things: drive rubbish cars and drink cheap wine.

Life is too short to spend it driving cars on a regular basis. That is not a pro bike comment just an anti commute comment.

Who said anything about commuting? Quite a few cars are fun enough to drive just for the hell of it.

I get there are places I might want to drive. None of them are anywhere near me though. The idea there is a car I want to drive in, say, SE England intrigued me. But clearly, it's just one of those things I am not going to get like putting mint on lamb.

How many decent performance cars have you driven?
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:46 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:

How many decent performance cars have you driven?

Driven? None, but then I don't own a car and rarely drive. I have been in a few - they definitely accelerate to the back of the traffic jam noticeably quicker. Just accept that I am a lost cause.

crumbschief

Postby crumbschief » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:47 pm

I knew someone who had a 1984 Panda 4x4 and it's funny thinking about again.

BlackJersey11

Postby BlackJersey11 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 20:56 pm

Why we do things that we know will make us unhappy because they are easier than the alternative

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Sat Oct 12, 2019 21:05 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:Man Utd claim to have 1.1billion followers, why does nobody pull them up on this obviously made up number.

I'm intrigued why you need to rule out most of India. 79% of the world has access to TV. Major clubs make damn sure their matches are available as widely as possible. There is a Bulgarian film about a Man Utd fan who wants to change his name to Manchester United.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mate ... ter_United

Also some Indian fans Image

A Mongolian fan

Took me slightly longer than 30 seconds, but I think your assumptions are off.
Last edited by rjsterry on Sat Oct 12, 2019 21:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

crumbschief

Postby crumbschief » Sat Oct 12, 2019 21:16 pm

BlackJersey11 wrote:Why we do things that we know will make us unhappy because they are easier than the alternative

Because facing truth is hard for humans and getting lost in distraction is easier to get through.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 21:30 pm

crumbschief wrote:I knew someone who had a 1984 Panda 4x4 and it's funny thinking about again.

i had a white one with a black bull bar in 1992 and it was mega - utterly brilliant off road and pulled mahoooooosf hand brake turns.

i also had a 1000 Sport (with the 5th gear) in 1998/99. That was also mega.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Sat Oct 12, 2019 23:15 pm

TheBigBean wrote:Don't you still have tractors, sheep, cattle grids, natural hazards, cyclists etc.

I sort of get the track bit, but isn't it easier to rent one when required?

There's 149,000 of us in this shire in an area of 4000 square miles.
The back roads full of sheep, cow pats, cattle grids, dead farmers in ditches etc are really not the terrain for going for a 4 wheeled 'jolly'. Those are cycling roads. There is always the anticipation of a cyclist just around that bend, in me. I reckon there's only about a dozen regular cyclists in the locality (radius of 25 miles approx.).

If you liken a bog standard car to an old steel framed Reynolds 501 bicycle replete with Sachs bike components and chrome rimmed wheels and a performance car to an all singing, all dancing CF bike with Dura Ace or Campag Record and CF hoops, then you may get the picture. They both do the same job, it's just that one does the job so much better than the other. You can pootle on both!

I couldn't imagine commuting (by bike) in say, the London area. Hats off to those who do. I used to commute when I lived in Cheltenham but the number of near misses when I look back, is frightening. Besides, I doubt it was good for my stress levels.

Anyway, i'm too far away from anything so having a car is essential here, so I may as well have a quick one :D
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 23:53 pm

TheBigBean wrote:
Driven? None, but then I don't own a car and rarely drive. I have been in a few - they definitely accelerate to the back of the traffic jam noticeably quicker. Just accept that I am a lost cause.

I'll not try to persuade you any further, but I do find it amusing that you can say that about something you've never tried.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 06:55 am

rjsterry wrote:

I'm intrigued why you need to rule out most of India. 79% of the world has access to TV. Major clubs make damn sure their matches are available as widely as possible. There is a Bulgarian film about a Man Utd fan who wants to change his name to Manchester United.

A Mongolian fan

So because you found a couple of photos that disproves my theory that 1 in 7 of the global population are Man Utd followers. If we take out your 21% without a TV then it is 1 in 5. Let’s take out the ones too young to have an opinion and you could be near 1 in 3.

India was used as an example of a country where football is not a major sport.

morstar

Postby morstar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 08:41 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

I'll not try to persuade you any further, but I do find it amusing that you can say that about something you've never tried.

To take that argument to a worrying extreme...

Dogging

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 08:52 am

morstar wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

To take that argument to a worrying extreme...

Dogging

I think the two are fairly different. But if you want to argue for the sake of arguing...
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Sun Oct 13, 2019 08:58 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

I had quite a long distance commute and did it is a shoot car which was not up to it. Last year I did weekly pilgrimages to Europe but got nice cars - exec taxis to take me there. Moden Merc/ BMW / Audi and a Jag. Now these impressed me and Were better as a mode of transport because they could accelerate, overtake and just get to the airport noticably faster. I should have had one of those - or a better car in Stevo's context. But I just don't really have any interest in cars. Nothing against them but I'll never buy one.

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Sun Oct 13, 2019 09:01 am

I've got a list of their names and there are actually 1.2 billion. :D Just finished counting them.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Sun Oct 13, 2019 09:11 am

Surrey Commuter wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

A Mongolian fan

So because you found a couple of photos that disproves my theory that 1 in 7 of the global population are Man Utd followers. If we take out your 21% without a TV then it is 1 in 5. Let’s take out the ones too young to have an opinion and you could be near 1 in 3.

I've no idea whether the claimed number of followers is real or how they are defining a follower, but I think football is bigger in India than you assume - from what I've read as much because of the celebrity of the players as the actual sport. I would imagine the same applies in other countries. It's more about branding than football.

The 'too young to have an opinion' criteria is hilarious. I have an image of you insisting to a 5 year old in mini replica kit that they can't possibly follow Manchester United.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Sun Oct 13, 2019 09:34 am

Lagrange wrote:But I just don't really have any interest in cars. Nothing against them but I'll never buy one.

This may sound hypocritical but that is heartening.
I know so many people who live within walking distance of school and shops and other amenities and their default position is to drive everywhere, regardless of the weather or the distance.

When it was suggested that the town centre should be pedestrianised, there was uproar. I didn't understand the animosity towards the idea*. It's only a small town but the TC is dissected by 3 roads and constant traffic. I noticed when the girls were small, it was so tricky to park up and do whatever I needed to do because I was constantly crossing roads. The planning involved the closure of 2 roads with access for buses and taxi's only. Park up and wander around without a constant river of cars.

*Me finks they're basically fick innit.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 09:53 am

rjsterry wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

A Mongolian fan

I've no idea whether the claimed number of followers is real or how they are defining a follower, but I think football is bigger in India than you assume - from what I've read as much because of the celebrity of the players as the actual sport. I would imagine the same applies in other countries. It's more about branding than football.

The 'too young to have an opinion' criteria is hilarious. I have an image of you insisting to a 5 year old in mini replica kit that they can't possibly follow Manchester United.

If you checked how they define a follower my criteria would no longer seem “hilarious”

Return to “The Cake Stop”