Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
TimothyW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby TimothyW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 am

Fair enough, no argument that the spokey can be a bit stiff to get on and off the nipples, I always figured snug = good fit = less likely to round off nipples.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24117
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:51 am

TimothyW wrote:Fair enough, no argument that the spokey can be a bit stiff to get on and off the nipples, I always figured snug = good fit = less likely to round off nipples.


Well, you want the happy balance, the one that doesn't round nipples and yet slides in like a glove...

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby thecycleclinic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 13:12 pm

The sapim key is 4 sided and has never rounded a nipple off. I do break nipples occasionaly when they get the thread bind a bit but never rounded one with eh sapim key.

If fits like a glove too.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

wayne17
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 06:44 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby wayne17 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 19:32 pm

Just bought a new bike, tarmac sl4 in rocket red and my wheels halo mercury white rims on hope mono rs hubs 28/32h look a bit hipster on it so I am looking to replace rims.im 185cm tall,87kg.
Was thinking of getting some light bicycle 45mm carbon clinchers, but I wonder if 28/32h in these is overkill? Would 20/32 be better or Would I be better off getting alloy rims either open pro ust or kinkin xr31t.
Last edited by wayne17 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 01:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonySJ
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 20:54 pm

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby TonySJ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 20:00 pm

Guys not sure if this is the place to post this question but I have a mate who rides a Tandem with his missus and has asked if you can get wheels that are Tubeless compatible for a Tandem as he wants to try them out?
I run tubeless and hes impressed with the durability and thinks he would like to go TL on his tandem first.
Anyone got any advice on this slightly off target post.
Regards.
Tony.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24117
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 07:52 am

TonySJ wrote:Guys not sure if this is the place to post this question but I have a mate who rides a Tandem with his missus and has asked if you can get wheels that are Tubeless compatible for a Tandem as he wants to try them out?
I run tubeless and hes impressed with the durability and thinks he would like to go TL on his tandem first.
Anyone got any advice on this slightly off target post.
Regards.
Tony.


Most of the TL tyres I have used have a weight limit of 70 kg, which roughly means 140 kg on the bike, which is hard to achieve on a tandem. That said, the figure is probably very conservative.

There are pretty robust tubeless compatible rims around and with 36 holes

TonySJ
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 20:54 pm

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby TonySJ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 09:04 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
TonySJ wrote:Guys not sure if this is the place to post this question but I have a mate who rides a Tandem with his missus and has asked if you can get wheels that are Tubeless compatible for a Tandem as he wants to try them out?
I run tubeless and hes impressed with the durability and thinks he would like to go TL on his tandem first.
Anyone got any advice on this slightly off target post.
Regards.
Tony.


Most of the TL tyres I have used have a weight limit of 70 kg, which roughly means 140 kg on the bike, which is hard to achieve on a tandem. That said, the figure is probably very conservative.

There are pretty robust tubeless compatible rims around and with 36 holes

Thanks. I don't think he's concerned about reducing weight or anything out and out performance wise. He's just looking at puncture sealing and avoiding having to repair a puncture watched over by his OH saying can't you get it sorted I'm getting cold lol.
I looked on MB site, cycleclinic, but wasn't sure of tubeless wheels suitable for a tandem. No doubt he will comment/assist shortly.
T.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24117
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 am

I don't think you got the message in my post. Weight limit is for safety, the tyre is designed to carry a load NOT exceeding 70 kg, therefore unsuitable for a tandem where the combined mass of 2 riders plus the mass of the cycle itself easily exceeds 70 kg per tyre (140 kg in total)

TimothyW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby TimothyW » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 pm

And it's a fair point, I'm a very heavy rider and had a tubeless tyre at maximum spec pressure spontaneously fail on me (sidewall blew out, immediately lost all air pressure)

Unless the tyre is specced for the load I wouldn't use it on a tandem.

Although it is possible the two of them are lighter than I am...

Svetty
Posts: 1895
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 16:29 pm

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby Svetty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 13:08 pm

wayne17 wrote:Just bought a new bike, tarmac sl4 in rocket red and my wheels halo mercury white rims on hope mono rs hubs 28/32h look a bit hipster on it so I am looking to replace rims.im 185cm tall,87kg.
Was thinking of getting some light bicycle 45mm carbon clinchers, but I wonder if 28/32h in these is overkill? Would 20/32 be better or Would I be better off getting alloy rims either open pro ust or kinkin xr31t.

Great hubs and decent rims but 28/32 is overkill for those rims. The end product would be a decent stiff wheelset but somewhat overbuilt.
FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24117
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 17:10 pm

If you have the choice, I would say in your case 24/28 would be spot on with those rims...

Ti yred
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby Ti yred » Mon Feb 04, 2019 20:27 pm

While I'm recovering from being T-boned by a Peugeot a few weeks ago, I'm pondering what to do regarding replacement wheels. Instead of having another winter bike built up, I think I'm going to simply have a second set of wheels for my Ti to use as winter wheels.

I've had two sets of Open Pros on the older Hope Mono RS hubs (one of which has a bendy front rim now) and they've been the perfect wheels for the scrubby Herefordshire roads in winter. I am however, thinking of having a pair of the UST Open Pros instead of the Open Pro clinchers. Is it worth the extra few quid to change to tubeless or should I stick with what I know best? Never used tubeless so have no opinion on them. Would be interested to hear others views on whether there is any benefit to changing...

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 23:15 pm

Many tubed tyres have a 70kg weight limit too. Would The schwalbe marathons supreme be a suitable tyre?

Ryde do the Andare 321 tubeless disc brake which has a 180kg weight limit and 36h drilling.
Last edited by thecycleclinic on Tue Feb 05, 2019 07:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 23:23 pm

the new Mavic rim is nice rim. You can use tubed tyres with it but an IRC, Hutchinson or Mavic tubeless tyre fit very well. Pick the tyre that best suits you. Its just like tubed tyres they are all different.

Also look at the kinlin xr22t but 32h is out of stock with me anyway. The XR26T rim is kinlins mid depth offering. DT Swiss r460 has easy tyre fitting but that why I don't like it much for tubeless tyres.

The Ambrosio p20 is another good reason.

If you like silver box section the Ryde have the R13.

Lots of tubeless options that retain the tyre well.
Last edited by thecycleclinic on Tue Feb 05, 2019 19:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Ti yred
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby Ti yred » Tue Feb 05, 2019 18:07 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:Ti yred the new Mavic rim is nice rim. You can use tubed tyres with it but an IRC, Hutchinson or Mavic tubeless tyre fit very well. Pick the tyre that best suits you. Its just like tubed tyres they are all different.

Also look at the kinlin xr22t but 32h is out of stock with me anyway. The XR26T rim is kinlins mid depth offering. DT Swiss r460 has easy tyre fitting but that why I don't like it much for tubeless tyres.

The Ambrosio p20 is another good reason.

If you like silver box section the Ryde have the R13.

Lots of tubeless options that retain the tyre well.


Thanks for the info. Lots to have a look at and ponder over. It might be me but despite the fairly mediocre conditions of our rural roads round here (and including the vast amount of debris left over from the 3 months of winter hedge cutting) I've been pretty fortunate with punctures and they are pretty rare (please don't let me have jinxed that now)...so with that in mind, I wouldn't simply go tubeless for that reason. I'm supposing another reason would be to be able to run lower pressures for the odd occasion I go down a rougher track or fireroad etc. I usually run my clinchers at 85 psi or thereabouts.

Any other advantages for tubeless over clinchers for my winter riding?

Cheers

Paul

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby thecycleclinic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 22:59 pm

For me it comes down to comfort and the ability to repair a tyre externally, normally for the life of the tyre that's the bonus.

I also like race tyres. I can't use Vittoria corsa's all year round. I would but they wear out too quickly and puncture so readily for me at least.

IRC, Hutchinson fusion and that new conti tubeless tyres all offer race tyre feel but with longer life. The contis are wearing quite quick though. You can ride them at 40 psi too. There are some team riders who race and train on tubeless tyres at 50 psi.

I am sure it's saving me money too as I used to go through inner tubes at a frightening rate and tyres too. However I am also a tyre snob. I have never bought a tyre because it is cheap as some do. The tyre is the most important part of the bike to me.

If you don't puncture much then the only thing that you will notice is more space in your back pocket and a bike that feels like it shod with vittoria Corsa's.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Ti yred
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby Ti yred » Wed Feb 06, 2019 17:38 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:For me it comes down to comfort and the ability to repair a tyre externally, normally for the life of the tyre that's the bonus.

I also like race tyres. I can't use Vittoria corsa's all year round. I would but they wear out too quickly and puncture so readily for me at least.

IRC, Hutchinson fusion and that new conti tubeless tyres all offer race tyre feel but with longer life. The contis are wearing quite quick though. You can ride them at 40 psi too. There are some team riders who race and train on tubeless tyres at 50 psi.

I am sure it's saving me money too as I used to go through inner tubes at a frightening rate and tyres too. However I am also a tyre snob. I have never bought a tyre because it is cheap as some do. The tyre is the most important part of the bike to me.

If you don't puncture much then the only thing that you will notice is more space in your back pocket and a bike that feels like it shod with vittoria Corsa's.


Thank you. From what you say, and what I've read, comfort and wear are two very big ticks in the tubeless box. I'm always happy to try something new presuming it will benefit me so I think I'm leaning towards the "I'm going to give tubeless a go" in particular the open pro UST rims, which I can always use as clinchers if needs be I guess.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

thecycleclinic
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby thecycleclinic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 22:22 pm

most tubeless tyres are more comfortable. I have only found one that is not. The tyre you pick though will either keep you on tubeless tubeless or put you off. It shouldn't but folk seem to think that all tubeless tyres must be the same. You also need to carry tyre plugs -good ones. trying to mount a tube in a tubeless tyre on the mavic rims is a dead end, dont even bother packing one.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

wayne17
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 06:44 am

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby wayne17 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:21 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:If you have the choice, I would say in your case 24/28 would be spot on with those rims...

Yeah I think I will leave the carbon rims this time and build a set 24/28 at a later date. Have ordered a set of open pro ust rims 28/32. I have seen a couple of sets of these rims advertised 24/28h with cx Ray spokes max weight 100 kg. So my question is I assume that at 28/32 cx Ray would be ok for my 87kg or would Sapim d-light front and back or dt revolutions with dt comp rear drive side make the better Wheelset for me?

Ti yred
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Postby Ti yred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 16:35 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:most tubeless tyres are more comfortable. I have only found one that is not. The tyre you pick though will either keep you on tubeless tubeless or put you off. It shouldn't but folk seem to think that all tubeless tyres must be the same. You also need to carry tyre plugs -good ones. trying to mount a tube in a tubeless tyre on the mavic rims is a dead end, dont even bother packing one.


Thanks very much for the info


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests