robert millar

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
brakelever

robert millar

Postby brakelever » Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:07 pm

have just read the robert millar book what a blinding read , dont know how i managed to miss it when it came out , but what ever happened to him or is that a question too far , considering he was one of the greatest bike riders britain ever produced its a shame he is not involved still in some way ?

Timoid.

Postby Timoid. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 22:03 pm

Great read and he was a brilliant rider.

Unfortunately asking a question like "What happened to Robert Millar" will result a lot of nudge nudge wink wink comments, pictures from the daily mail and then a big arguments on here.

Suffice to say he's living a quiet life away from anything cycling related.

AidanR

Postby AidanR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 22:09 pm

Yeah, it's a good read.

Oddly, unbelievably, it seems that the rumours might have been true. But then he never was going to conform to what you wanted him to be.

Moray Gub

Postby Moray Gub » Thu Dec 03, 2009 23:21 pm

Timoid. wrote:Great read and he was a brilliant rider.

Unfortunately asking a question like "What happened to Robert Millar" will result a lot of nudge nudge wink wink comments, pictures from the daily mail and then a big arguments on here.

Didnt he occasionally post in here as gotthetshirt or something ?
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

ynyswen24

Postby ynyswen24 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 00:31 am

Yes, he does seem to read the forum and post -very occasionally. He lives his own life, as he always did, and has hopefully found a good place to be in. He did write a very good article about a stage of the TdF in Rouleur (the Rapha magazine) a few issues ago. It'd be good if he wrote more as he writes bery well and with great honesty, insight and a wry detachment from his own (massive) achievements and the reputations of others.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:01 am

I can't sing his praises high enough. In my younger days, from the comfort of the living room armchair, watching Robert Millar on TV in the mountain stages of a Grand Tour was awesome. He did it his way and is a true legend and inspiration to all other british cyclists if ever there was one.

As someone who has intimate knowledge of the whole racing world, I wish he would be a more public profile and contribute some more of his views on a whole range of related topics. It is sad that he doesn't but he has his reasons, it is his choice and that has to be respected. Wherever he is and what he is doing now, 'thanks for the memories' and the inspiration to which I am eternally grateful.
Last edited by Top_Bhoy on Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Fri Dec 04, 2009 03:58 am

and anything other than cycling related will be speculation and inuendo

Ah, but that's also true of so many other threads...

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 06:07 am

Le Commentateur wrote:
and anything other than cycling related will be speculation and inuendo

Ah, but that's also true of so many other threads...

Not true...the majority of most other topics containing the speculation, inuendo and cheap shots at least will have some cycling related attachment. Most times on this forum, the discussions on Robert Millar only ends up one way....with one or two individuals badly throwing cheap shots and mocking the man which have no cycling content whatsoever.

dave milne

Postby dave milne » Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:01 am

Top_Bhoy wrote:Note: Any references to anything but Robert Millars cycling related achievements/career should be immediately deleted by the moderators. Few know the real truth of his current life and anything other than cycling related will be speculation and inuendo.

Whilst I agree with you that comments like that are nothing but speculation and innuendo no need to enforce a stalinst state on here

BikingBernie

Postby BikingBernie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:31 am

Top_Bhoy wrote: Any references to anything but Robert Millars cycling related achievements/career should be immediately deleted by the moderators. Few know the real truth of his current life and anything other than cycling related will be speculation and inuendo.

Hardly speculation and innuendo. Robert and his partner have even discussed on another cycling forum how his personal life became public. Suffice to say, Millar would be quite happy if no one bought Richard Moore's book about his life...

Personally, I think it would be great if everyone were totally open about Millar's current life, and were also totally accepting and non-judgemental about it. Those who would like to see all comments about what has happened to him since he retired deleted are in effect reinforcing the view that his choices are somehow wrong or best ‘kept hidden’, attitudes that themselves help to validate the ignorance and prejudice that surround such issues.

If the argument is that no mention of anyone’s private life is acceptable on a cycling forum, why not start off with deleting all the comments about Cavendish’s shenanigans, or are they acceptable because they show what a ‘red-blooded’ male he is?
Last edited by BikingBernie on Fri Dec 04, 2009 15:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warrior4life

Postby warrior4life » Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:42 am

On a seperate Millar note i remember being on the start line at the malvern hills classic in 1997 or 1998 and i looked to me left and robert millar was next me in full z-team kit.
I was only 21 at the time but i watched the tour since 89 so i recognized him straight away.. Nobody else even looked at him (Im guessing the late 90's mountain bikers werent familiar with with late 80's cycling royalty)
It was quite a buzz to be in a real race with a tour legend, i never saw him once the race was underway, he was probably behind me somewhere struggling up the infamous hills...

I read the book but im never too sure about un-authorised biographys and i though it painted him in a bit of a negative gloomy light... A man who wears frogskins to race in cant be gloomy, its impossible! 8)

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:51 am

dave milne wrote:Whilst I agree with you that comments like that are nothing but speculation and innuendo no need to enforce a stalinst state on here

That wasn't what I was trying to convey so I have now edited and deleted the lines..

Allez Mark

Postby Allez Mark » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:14 am

The book is an excellent read.

Personally I don't give a toss about the rumours.

He was emailing Eurosport this year during The Tour, with his insights and expert opinions of the days stage.

My mate still has a "Z" water bottle off roberts bike. We asked him for it after he won a stage of the Kellogs Tour in Newcastle years ago.

Top Man

DaveyL

Postby DaveyL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am

Moray Gub wrote:

It was mis-spelled as "gotheteeshirt" and I have my doubts as to whether it was actually RM...

Moray Gub

Postby Moray Gub » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:50 am

DaveyL wrote:
Moray Gub wrote:

It was mis-spelled as "gotheteeshirt" and I have my doubts as to whether it was actually RM...

apart from the obvious fact it could be anybody why do you say that ?
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

dulldave

Postby dulldave » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:52 am

warrior4life wrote:
I read the book but im never too sure about un-authorised biographys and i though it painted him in a bit of a negative gloomy light... A man who wears frogskins to race in cant be gloomy, its impossible! 8)

It's one of my favourite cycling books. I don't think any biography of Robert Millar would be 100% accurate, particularly if it were authorised by him. However I don't think it made him look negative or gloomy. It illustrated what the author believed were 2 sides to his character.

Personally I kind of like the fact that he has walked away from the world of cycling and only crops up now and again. It just adds to the legend.

I loved his article about the Alpe D'Huez stage in Rouleur and wish we had access to more of this type of stuff from him. In particular I'd like to read about his Superbagneres victory and the 87 Giro.

wreckedmyklein

Postby wreckedmyklein » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:57 pm

I was there when he won at Super Bagnieres. My best spectating day ever - trying to work out what was going on on Radio Tour was hard, but seeing him come round the corner and on to win was fantastic. My Z and Union flags were proudly displayed on our tent for the rest of our holiday. It was also interesting seeing some big guy called Indurain, who was there to support Delgado lead over Aubisque (I think) the previous day. He looked very impressive, and we agreed that he looked like he was the main man (rather than Delgado) and would surely be a future Tour contender. The only time I have ever been right in a prediction.
Over 50mph on Malaucene descent

flattythehurdler

Postby flattythehurdler » Fri Dec 04, 2009 13:01 pm

Does anyone have a link to the rouleur article?

PS I reckon gotheteeshirt was him alright.

dulldave

Postby dulldave » Fri Dec 04, 2009 13:35 pm

flattythehurdler wrote:Does anyone have a link to the rouleur article?

PS I reckon gotheteeshirt was him alright.

It was in print on this issue:
http://www.rouleur.cc/issue-13

Out of print now though.

gotheteeshirt2

Postby gotheteeshirt2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 20:53 pm

BRAKELEVER

if I gave you one question to ask me what would it be :?:

Return to “Pro Race”