Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
elbowloh

Re: Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Postby elbowloh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am

keef66 wrote:
elbowloh wrote:
Poptart242 wrote:
elbowloh wrote:Ok, checked and tighted the saddle, tightened bottle cage bolts and greased pedals and still creaking. What next?

Cleats
Headset
QRs
Stem
Seatpost
Chainring Bolts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Never even considered that one.

Hate to say it, but BB?

Is the creaking regular and at the same point in the revolution of the pedals? Can you make it creak just by sitting on it? Same in each gear / chainring? Seated or standing? Can you swap wheelsets to eliminate them as a possible cause?

I think the BB is ok, all greased and lovely.

Its not regular for sure. Seated and standing both result in creaks. Certainly more creaking the more effort i put in. Same pretty much in all gears. Unfortunately i don't have any spare wheels.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

redvee

Postby redvee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 00:24 am

Dropped the forks out of the Full Monty and put a new lower bearing in but didnnnn't take the old one with me to the LBS so they let me take the three types they had in stock and bring the other two back, luckily the shop is only two shops up the street from home so neighbourly trust was used. This partially cured the noise I was getting so now I've go to replace the gear outer as I've had similar in the past. The bike is over a year old and ridden in all weathers so due for a few new bits.

lemonenema

Postby lemonenema » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Fitted a new pair of tubeless tyres one went on without bother, the other took three attempts including new tape and waaay too much sealant.

redvee

Postby redvee » Thu Jul 11, 2019 01:06 am

Afte Tuesday's fettling the bike is silent again so no need for new gear outer yet though this might be to do with the change in cable routing for the front brake cable, it now runs inside the gear/brake outer so won't rub on the frame any longer.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 06:16 am

I've just started using Pedro Go chain lube which seems to work but I'm getting a black chain, cassette and rear rim after every ride, I'm following the instructions of one drop per link and wiping off the excess. That cant be right?
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 08:38 am

itboffin wrote:I've just started using Pedro Go chain lube which seems to work but I'm getting a black chain, cassette and rear rim after every ride, I'm following the instructions of one drop per link and wiping off the excess. That cant be right?

Sounds like it's not the right lube for you then.

I get the black chain / everything else if the lube is too thick and / or I put too much on. Best experience has been with humble 3-in-1 oil because it's quite thin and the applicator nozzle allowed me to use it very sparingly.

When my last one ran out I bought what I thought was the equivalent but Wilko's own brand. Sadly it turned out to be a lot thicker and the coarse nozzle meant I was over applying it. Despite pathologically wiping down after application, the chain would go black on the next ride and spatter the rear rim and chainstay.

I'm now using 5W30 motor oil thinned with white spirit, applied using the old 3-in-1 tin, and so far so good. I can apply just a small drop to each roller, it penetrates quickly and the excess is easy to wipe off, and the chain stays clean and quiet. Chain wear over time will tell if it's doing a good job as a lube...

edward.s

Postby edward.s » Thu Jul 11, 2019 08:54 am

I've been using TF2 wax lube for a while now. nice and clean and seems to lube well. cheap so you can use as much as you like.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:28 pm

I back to TF2 lube as you said does the job, at least I know how to really deep clean my chain in the future without taking it off.

In other news, i've had the weirdest occasional squeaking from my Superstar arc 31 disc wheels, in the past its just been one or two squeaks on the odd ride but todays it screamed for miles, anyway i've already ruled out QR, rim tape and tyres by changing all of them, today I opened up the brake pads - nope not that either, i let out a load of air as the arc wheels max is 80 psi, nope still the same.

Well i've given up and swapped out the wheelset for Wiggles prime disc, I would like to know what it could be, its a noise like no other i've every heard, I have also taken apart the rear wheel checked and cleaned everything, bearings are perfect, no loose spokes and completely true.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 19:15 pm

Tacx vortex back and would seem repaired fingers crossed

lemonenema

Postby lemonenema » Thu Jul 18, 2019 22:19 pm

Replaced BB and fitted new dropper remote, £17 ztto from eBay. Can't comment on durability yet but it works nicely, good upgrade from the basic one

lemonenema

Postby lemonenema » Thu Jul 18, 2019 22:25 pm

Itboffin - was it front or rear wheel? If rear did it squeal when pedalling or freewheeling? I had an odd problem once where the seal on the back of the freehub was binding, even tried a new one, so I removed it and no more problem. Could be something similar either freehub seal or one of the others?

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 05:47 am

So loud i couldn't really tell it might be the back, but i stripped the rear down to the axle and checked everything

lemonenema

Postby lemonenema » Fri Jul 19, 2019 08:36 am

ok, but there was nothing wrong with the seals on mine either they just started binding. Worth trying the wheel without one or more seals to see if its something that simple

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 15:08 pm

Do you have superstar wheels as well?

lemonenema

Postby lemonenema » Fri Jul 19, 2019 18:05 pm

no it was on a DCR hub, not sure where theyre manufactured though

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 08:41 am

Just freed off seized brake cable on wifes bike, what a pain in the ars* to do as well! Trouble is she rides approx. once a month(she runs every day) so cables prone to seize through non-use.

Wolfsbane2k

Postby Wolfsbane2k » Mon Jul 22, 2019 22:21 pm

Spent the evening rebuilding the mtb from a bunch of bits as the primary bike hasn't been replaced yet, the backup bike has a broken back wheel, and I couldn't find my pack of spokes for it.

Means I'll have to strip it apart yet again this weekend to FINALLY replace the headset that's well and truly knackered and been on my to do list for a year, and was finally ordered on Saturday.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1* - Bike 2 - Bike 3 (Reborn) - Bike 4 - Bike 5 - Bike 6...

Return to “Commuting Chat”