My crash

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
AndrewBye
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 17:24 pm

My crash

Postby AndrewBye » Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:08 am

I had a reminder on sunday that this bike racing lark can be a dangerous hobby!

www.sleepingbearproductions.co.uk were videoing my crash at Chertsey:

http://www.sleepingbearproductions.co.u ... SlowMo.wmv

Luckily no serious damage to me other than road rash and some bruises, although bike is gonna require some attention.

I've written my account of the incident on my blog: http://andrewbye.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Bronzie
Posts: 4803
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 21:30 pm
Contact:

Postby Bronzie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:16 am

Ouch - you were well and truly "leant on". Did the guy apologise? Glad you are not too badly hurt.

andyp
Posts: 12083
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 17:59 pm

Postby andyp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:19 am

I hope the guy who deviated from his line into yours at least apologised?

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7045
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Postby Tom Butcher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:48 am

Great video - the slo mo one looks quite graceful but the full speed one really captures the speed of being on the bike and the violence of the crash. I'm guessing the other guy just lost his line rather than tried to shut the door on you.

AndrewBye
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 17:24 pm

Postby AndrewBye » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:03 am

I received no apology from the Polish ex-professional Willier sportsbeans rider (Marcin Biaboloki).

He went away and sat in his car (which might have been just as well as I was pretty wound up at that point). Apparently later he went up to HQ proclaiming something along the lines of "I win race you pay me money".

vermooten
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 15:54 pm

Postby vermooten » Tue Feb 19, 2008 13:23 pm

Fantastic footage, shame you had the be the Buster Keaton figure.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

drenkrom
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 20:07 pm

Postby drenkrom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 14:40 pm

I'd be ticked off at the guy that took out your wheel. That was kind of a lame move, though, especially since there was no wheel to jump onto or anything. That's racing, I guess. Without the sour, the sweet just ain't as good.

phil s
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 17:15 pm

Postby phil s » Tue Feb 19, 2008 18:42 pm

I'd have decked him. What a tw@t

don key
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:55 pm

Postby don key » Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:58 pm

drenkrom wrote:I'd be ticked off at the guy that took out your wheel. That was kind of a lame move, though, especially since there was no wheel to jump onto or anything. That's racing, I guess. Without the sour, the sweet just ain't as good.


Are you and phil s talking of the guy who hit the wheel or the guy who took him down?

drenkrom
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 20:07 pm

Postby drenkrom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 22:03 pm

I was talking about both. The guy who hit the wheel 'cause... come on... at least try to bunnyhop it. It looks so cool when you get it right! But my comment about jumping onto the wheel was about the original guy who veered off his line. I guess that wasn't quite clear. My guess is it still isn't. :wink:

Garybee
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 22:57 pm

Postby Garybee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 22:58 pm

drenkrom wrote:I was talking about both. The guy who hit the wheel 'cause... come on... at least try to bunnyhop it. It looks so cool when you get it right! But my comment about jumping onto the wheel was about the original guy who veered off his line. I guess that wasn't quite clear. My guess is it still isn't. :wink:


That's a little unfair. He was clearly trying to avoid the bike which was sliding across the road at the time. It's one thing bunny-hopping in a straight line but whilst trying to manouver it's asking for trouble.

User avatar
Kléber
Posts: 6722
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 14:11 pm

Postby Kléber » Tue Feb 19, 2008 23:28 pm

Easy to judge on slo-mo video but in the midst of a sprint finish, acrobatics are hard. That move to close the door is outrageous.

It's interesting, with the advent of cameras and websites, everyone can see the local cheats in action, no longer will a few riders mutter about dangerous riders, everyone will see. At the same time, one move can get you branded as Mr Nasty.

don key
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:55 pm

Postby don key » Tue Feb 19, 2008 23:40 pm

Garybee wrote:
drenkrom wrote:I was talking about both. The guy who hit the wheel 'cause... come on... at least try to bunnyhop it. It looks so cool when you get it right! But my comment about jumping onto the wheel was about the original guy who veered off his line. I guess that wasn't quite clear. My guess is it still isn't. :wink:


That's a little unfair. He was clearly trying to avoid the bike which was sliding across the road at the time. It's one thing bunny-hopping in a straight line but whilst trying to manouver it's asking for trouble.


I thought the nonbunny hopper was a hopeless case but on seeing it the other way around its obvious that he is slightly hesitant in changing direction and goes right ,at the time this was good but the bike ,unaturally ends up going the same way and I think and hopefully know that his decision was vindicated by the slow mo and also bunny hopping is ok if you are ready and able but in fact his priority should always be to save his skin over the fate of the machine. So advocating whacking the guy ,either of them is (a) not to clever (B)not good role model material. I am a super hero as demonstrated in the crash vid with my Cadburys slow mo technique, answers on a post card. From behind the non breeding bunny looks to be way off the carrot line but forward its definitely Bugs Frunny bee

The whole thing is exacerbated by the front wheel on the crash bike which pulls the whole bike over into the path of the bunny.

drenkrom
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 20:07 pm

Postby drenkrom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:21 am

OK... maybe not bunnyhopping, but his response looks... tame. He's got a nautical mile of open road on his left yet he goes in one straight line. But I admit it's always easy to judge after the fact. Especially in slomo :wink: And I can't wait to be put in those situations again so I get all giddy. Winter in Canada sucks for cycling, by the way.

As for bunnyhopping, I've reflex-jumped over some crazy stuff. If you always ride with the "I'll try jumping over it, I'm going to crash anyways" attitude (mountain biking helps) and are any good at it (practice helps), you can sometimes save your hide. And the other bloke's back wheel.

And if you do crash, you ensure you do it in style. Just in case there's a camera around.

Toks
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: My crash

Postby Toks » Wed Feb 20, 2008 08:49 am

AndrewBye wrote:I had a reminder on sunday that this bike racing lark can be a dangerous hobby!

www.sleepingbearproductions.co.uk were videoing my crash at Chertsey:

http://www.sleepingbearproductions.co.u ... SlowMo.wmv

Luckily no serious damage to me other than road rash and some bruises, although bike is gonna require some attention.

I've written my account of the incident on my blog: http://andrewbye.blogspot.com/
Hey Andrew sorry to hear about your crash. I'm not sure if I'm qualified to suggest whether the original 'apparent' shove was deliberate. I'm no sprinter and in trying to crank out extra watts in pure desperation I know I've gone off line on occassions :oops: - but the least he could've done was appologise.

Re the back wheel cruncher :evil: on first view I'm thinking clumsy barsteward but then again he was probably panicking trying not to hit the deck at speed. I hope you're back in action soon. You race at a level most of us will never get to so I appreciate it when you share your thoughts on training, racing or whatever. That means ya blogs getting better - less detached and clinical; more touchy;feely, autobiographical :lol: :lol:

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7045
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Postby Tom Butcher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:38 am

In defence of the wheel smasher he's swerving right to avoid the crash before the bike comes back in the opposite direction and right across him - you'd have to be Robbie McEwen to avoid that. I like the way Andrew lies spreadeagled for a few seconds after the crash.

Top_Bhoy
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 18:56 pm

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 13:15 pm

Tom Butcher wrote:I like the way Andrew lies spreadeagled for a few seconds after the crash.


Do you think he was feigning injury? :twisted:

don key
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:55 pm

Postby don key » Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:31 pm

I have watched it twenty times in a row and it seem that you went right ,to pass the leader who was dying,before the beany boy went left and that its probable that he was defending himself from your encroachment. Its a bit like the Nine eleven, if the first news on the subject says it was al quiada then all subsequent stories lead with that headline.I ,after reading about the crash never looked for anything other than what he didand its there for all to see from what were shown that you moved first into a gap tha wasnt there.Vince Halpern had the same problem in a three man sprint two weeks ago at Hillingdon and instead of forcing the issue and risking a crash he pulled out of the sprint and settled for third, Its not good that this happened but it really looks like the wrong conclusion may have been drawn.

Also it seems that we need to see the rest of the approach footage to see if the jostling started at that point that we see in the film or before.

Smaller guys than me have bounced into me and in keeping myself up and on the track he was bounced, the problem was he was to small and hit the deck hard, people were trying to blame me but I didnt do him, he did me, if I had any inkling he would fold as he did I would probably have sailed off the track and rejoined on the next lap. Hindsight is a useless tool .
Last edited by don key on Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superlightweight
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 17:29 pm
Contact:

Postby superlightweight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:36 pm

Well I am the 'wheel cruncher' in question here and i've come to defend myself! As I saw the crash happen i made the decision to move to the right, in order to avoid riding over Andy's head! Unfortunately his bike skidded across in front of me and I remember thinking "sh*t, I'm going down as well here!". I really didn't have time to think about avoiding the bike, or bunny hopping - shame it didn't happen in slo-mo like the video!!!

Andy is actually a good friend and work colleague - and sometimes i train with him when he is doing a recovery ride and i think i can keep up!! I even bought him lunch at work today as compensation :wink: :D

don key
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:55 pm

Postby don key » Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:45 pm

superlightweight wrote:Well I am the 'wheel cruncher' in question here and i've come to defend myself! As I saw the crash happen i made the decision to move to the right, in order to avoid riding over Andy's head! Unfortunately his bike skidded across in front of me and I remember thinking "sh*t, I'm going down as well here!". I really didn't have time to think about avoiding the bike, or bunny hopping - shame it didn't happen in slo-mo like the video!!!

Andy is actually a good friend and work colleague - and sometimes i train with him when he is doing a recovery ride and i think i can keep up!! I even bought him lunch at work today as compensation :wink: :D


Your off the hook ,its obvious the front wheel dragged the bike over to you ,your well being is more important than a bike.


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daniel B and 13 guests