Dave Brailsford prostate cancer

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
D O G

Dave Brailsford prostate cancer

Postby D O G » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am

Link

May partly explain why Ineos have been fairly lacklustre of late.

Hope he recovers well.

Shipley

Re: Dave Brailsford prostate cancer

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 13, 2019 16:30 pm

5hr op means it’s been silent for a while and they had to dig deep. My bro went through the same thing. 7hr op and a very long recovery as he had no symptoms and had no way of knowing he had it. His PSA score was over 100.....mine is 0.5 :shock:

If you are a male in your 50s get tested annually, it’s a blood test only and watch the profile of your score. If it increases from year to year you can get very early non invasive treatment and manage it.

It’s one of the easiest cancers to control so don’t die of ignorance or neglect.

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Sun Sep 15, 2019 19:49 pm

it's really none of our business but since they've released the information, Good Luck Dave I wish you all the best.

Cannock Chase

Postby Cannock Chase » Sun Sep 15, 2019 22:29 pm

Shipley wrote:...If you are a male in your 50's get tested annually...

If you only ever follow one bit of advice on this forum, follow this one....
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:38 pm

Is there a correlation between cycling and prostate cancer. or does it just seem that way. :?:

Franco di Banco

Postby Franco di Banco » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:52 pm

[f you are a male in your 50s get tested annually, it’s a blood test only and watch the profile of your score. If it increases from year to year you can get very early non invasive treatment and manage it.

Possibly the worst bit if advice ever. I read an interesting article today about a guy who did just that.
He was told that he was most definitely positive, had a scan which confirmed everybody's worst fears and went into hospital expecting to come out feet first.

Then they casually said that they were wrong and he could go home. A false positive and he's not the first and he won't be the last. But our wonderful NHS don't care about all the worry that their inefficiency causes, just as long as they don't get sued for missing something.

Be very cautious about believing anything to do with the PSA test.

apreading

Postby apreading » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:04 pm

You shouldnt get tested if you have cycled in the 48 hours prior to prostate cancer check as cycling increases the levels of PSA that they measure temporarily.

Many doctors don't realise that strenuous pedalling raises levels of a protein called PSA, which is also a key indicator of possible prostate cancer. As a result they are sending healthy men for painful - and unnecessary - biopsies.

Consultant urologist Chris Eden, of the Royal Surrey County Hospital, in, Guilford, says GPs should routinely ask men with high PSA if they're keen cyclists.

"Unfortunately some doctors may be unaware that cycling can spuriously raise a man`s PSA levels and so refer their patient for further and unnecessary treatment. All because their cycling produced a false positive," he said.

He says raised PSA levels caused by cycling, do not put the rider at any risk of cancer.

"Cycling does raise PSA levels but only temporarily. So the way to distinguish whether cycling has caused a rise in levels is to refrain from getting on a bike for 48 hours and then having a second PSA test. The levels will have dropped if cycling was responsible for the rise."

PSA tests measure the total amount of prostate specific antigen (PSA) in the blood. PSA is a protein produced by normal cells in the prostate and also by prostate cancer cells. It is normal for all men to have a small amount of PSA in their blood. But a raised level can sometimes be a sign of prostate cancer which is why further investigation such as a biopsy is needed.

Mr Eden said: "The irony here is that physical exercise such as cycling is actually protective against prostate cancer since it`s a way to avoid weight gain and is generally a way to keep healthy. So it`s important that cyclists don`t get scared off from enjoying their hobby.

"I think any man who is a regular cyclist and who needs a PSA test should tell their doctor about their hobby. It`s surprising how many doctors may not know about the association and this could avoid unpleasant further investigation. Mentioning you regularly use your bike could save on a lot of discomfort."

Ridgerider

Postby Ridgerider » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:17 pm

For me, it wasn't any test results that told me something was wrong, it was poor urine flow and just going to the loo more often than usual.

The blood (psa), finger and MRI tests have only confirmed what my bladder was telling me, which is that I have an enlarged prostate. The next round of tests are due to find out why it is like that.

A doctor friend mentioned the influence of cycling on any blood test, but I think he just said abstain for 48hrs before any psa test.

All I can say is listen to your body incase it's trying to tell you something.
Half man, Half bike...with Gesink|Kruijswijk|Roglic|Groenewegen|Bouwman|van Poppel|Jansen|Tolhoek|Mr ten Dam

Shipley

Postby Shipley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:56 pm

That’s correct, if your prostate has swelled to contract your urine flow. If it swells in the other direction you will have no symptoms. A PSA test showing increased levels will give you an indication that you should get some more tests. It’s not definitive but is a good enough indicator to check.

Or you can think it rubbish and end up dead. I know a few who have.

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Sep 17, 2019 16:12 pm

There is plenty of evidence that, overall, prostate screening is not beneficial. Here's a pretty well balanced explanation:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate- ... a-testing/

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:35 am

bompington wrote:There is plenty of evidence that, overall, prostate screening is not beneficial. Here's a pretty well balanced explanation:

I must say that isn't that convincing.

It mentions the false positives but then says that MRI scans largely solve that problem.

It mentions 15% false negatives but then does not being 100% invalidate the test, I don't see why.

It mentions revealing cancers that would not shorten life expectancy - but would it not be better to know and monitor over a period of time than live in ignorance?

There may be more to it - maybe it's not so easy to monitor the rate of growth of the cancer but it's hard not to suspect the real issue is that it would be very expensive for a cash strapped health service and possibly at a population level would not be a good use of cash ?
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 09:38 am

DeVlaeminck wrote:
bompington wrote:There is plenty of evidence that, overall, prostate screening is not beneficial. Here's a pretty well balanced explanation:

I must say that isn't that convincing.

It mentions the false positives but then says that MRI scans largely solve that problem.

It mentions 15% false negatives but then does not being 100% invalidate the test, I don't see why.

It mentions revealing cancers that would not shorten life expectancy - but would it not be better to know and monitor over a period of time than live in ignorance?

There may be more to it - maybe it's not so easy to monitor the rate of growth of the cancer but it's hard not to suspect the real issue is that it would be very expensive for a cash strapped health service and possibly at a population level would not be a good use of cash ?

The bottom line is that research shows that outcomes are no better for screened populations than unscreened.

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 am

so, say someone you know is a keen cyclist, and exhibits the problems as described in the basic description, i.e. peeing a bit more than normal, and feeling like it is never quite complete when you go to the loo.

what would you say to them. I'm that person by the way.

be interested in seeing what you folk say.

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 am

philbar72 wrote:so, say someone you know is a keen cyclist, and exhibits the problems as described in the basic description, i.e. peeing a bit more than normal, and feeling like it is never quite complete when you go to the loo.

Well that's partly just old age ;-)

Or more particularly symptoms of an enlarged prostate, which is usually BPH, which is not quite universal but really common in men as they get older.
But obviously can be more sinister, so in your position I'd go on an internet forum and ask a bunch of randoms who may or may not have a clue for advice.

Or you could go see a doctor.

M.R.M.

Postby M.R.M. » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:17 am

bompington wrote:go see a doctor.

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am

bompington wrote:
philbar72 wrote:so, say someone you know is a keen cyclist, and exhibits the problems as described in the basic description, i.e. peeing a bit more than normal, and feeling like it is never quite complete when you go to the loo.

Well that's partly just old age ;-)

Or more particularly symptoms of an enlarged prostate, which is usually BPH, which is not quite universal but really common in men as they get older.
But obviously can be more sinister, so in your position I'd go on an internet forum and ask a bunch of randoms who may or may not have a clue for advice.

Or you could go see a doctor.

yep, that's the plan. the second part of this. need to drink less coffee and more water as well.

Ridgerider

Postby Ridgerider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:17 pm

"Just relax, it will make the examinations less uncomfortable"

Or as the nurse said to me, and with hindsight, she is a very wise woman and made it very simple... "Just turn up for your appointments".
Half man, Half bike...with Gesink|Kruijswijk|Roglic|Groenewegen|Bouwman|van Poppel|Jansen|Tolhoek|Mr ten Dam

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Ridgerider wrote:

"Just relax, it will make the examinations less uncomfortable"

Or as the nurse said to me, and with hindsight, she is a very wise woman and made it very simple... "Just turn up for your appointments".

She certainly had hindsight too :)

Mercuryrev

Postby Mercuryrev » Wed Sep 18, 2019 18:41 pm

I've just had a PSA blood test thanks to having pain in my nether regions and my doc wanting to eliminate prostate cancer. After worrying for a few days, my PSA was nice and low, but my doc still wants me to see a urologist as there was a tiny bit of blood in my wee test.

From my viewpoint, no the PSA test isn't perfect but it hopefully reduces the likelihood that I will be surprised, one day, to find I have prostate cancer. It also gives me a figure that I can refer to when I have my next PSA test in a year's time.

Surely if there's nothing that definitively says yes or no, something is better than nothing?

bflk

Postby bflk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am

My flow rate dropped this year so went to see the doc but whilst he weighed up the pros and cons of the PSA test I got the impression he was gently steering me away from doing it. As I understood you can get false positives and false negatives from the test. A drop off in flow is normal in the 50s anyway.

Everyone needs to weigh it up in conjunction with their GP.

Return to “Pro Race”