Training / winter wheels

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Matthewfalle

Re: Training / winter wheels

Postby Matthewfalle » Wed May 22, 2019 15:37 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
Slowbike wrote:Ignoring the additional wear & tear that arguably occurs in inclement weather ...

there's another reason for having training/winter wheels - you use them in the winter, when you're just getting in easy miles/easy rides - then, when the sun comes out, put the good wheels on - suddenly feels so much better & faster - instant training benefits! :)

nah - use nice stuff all year round as theres no point having obermayers in the garage and you in the graveyard.

You wouldn't ride your best road bike on a cyclocross race - so why take it out in the grotty weather? If that principle works - then you can apply that to components too. If that doesn't work, then yer - ride what you want when you want.

Matthewfalle wrote:so long as ypu look after it it will be fine. its a bicycle not the space shuttle.

Having heard the GRIND of the grit against the rims on a winters commute ... I'm happy with my choice to use the more robust bike/wheels for general use, then take the best bike out when the weather suits.

Matthewfalle wrote:you worked for the money to buy them so enjoy them. you wouldn't arrange a date with Nina and go out with Janet Street Porter would you? So why ride rubbish?

#nina
#labcoat

If you owned a #inserttypeofparticularlynicebutexpensivecarhere# - would you want to take it to the supermarket to do the shopping? Or would you have a cheap runaround that didn't matter so much when some d#ck doors it...

1. of course you wouldn't but yes, I do use N1 in the grotty weather and the new S3 is used for everything. road bike to cyclicross race is a ridiculius example. road bike to canal pth/gravel track is closer and yes, bikes with tubs and deep rims do get ridden on these.

2. Good for you. Personally lifeis too short to ride rubbish.

3. Of course ypu do. its a car. its there to be used. the AMG gets taken to Edwyn's, filled with stuff to go to the dump, school run, in the snow/rain/whatever. Its just a car.

It gets biffed it gets repaired. It gets smashed up, buy another. its just a car/bicycle/whatever.

Bit weird to keep all this stuff to be used three times a year if you ask us.

#weird
#useit
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

trek_dan

Postby trek_dan » Wed May 22, 2019 15:56 pm

Depends if you are bothered about keeping the black Exalith coating or not. A few weeks of use over winter and the coating will be more or less gone. Doesn't effect the functionality of the wheels but they won't look as bling.

Darrell1967

Postby Darrell1967 » Wed May 22, 2019 19:20 pm

I been mulling over this for the Autumn and winter commute. My bike has Knight TLA carbon wheels and I don’t want to mess them up with London winter road junk.

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Wed May 22, 2019 19:31 pm

The Exalith surface is bl00dy brilliant imho, both my Scotts wear them.

The only minor complication with buying winter wheels, is that the Exaliths require specific brake pads, so you would also need to remember to change the four pads over twice a year - may not bother you, but for some people it would.
Unless you could get a second hand pair of ksyrium exaliths for the winter, which could also double as nice light climbing wheels. I did see a pretty much immaculate pair for sale on here a while back for £400, was sorely tempted but resisted - these were ones that were £1200 new.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

OnTheRopes

Postby OnTheRopes » Wed May 22, 2019 20:48 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
Slowbike wrote:Ignoring the additional wear & tear that arguably occurs in inclement weather ...

there's another reason for having training/winter wheels - you use them in the winter, when you're just getting in easy miles/easy rides - then, when the sun comes out, put the good wheels on - suddenly feels so much better & faster - instant training benefits! :)

nah - use nice stuff all year round as theres no point having obermayers in the garage and you in the graveyard.

You wouldn't ride your best road bike on a cyclocross race - so why take it out in the grotty weather? If that principle works - then you can apply that to components too. If that doesn't work, then yer - ride what you want when you want.

Matthewfalle wrote:so long as ypu look after it it will be fine. its a bicycle not the space shuttle.

Having heard the GRIND of the grit against the rims on a winters commute ... I'm happy with my choice to use the more robust bike/wheels for general use, then take the best bike out when the weather suits.

Matthewfalle wrote:you worked for the money to buy them so enjoy them. you wouldn't arrange a date with Nina and go out with Janet Street Porter would you? So why ride rubbish?

#nina
#labcoat

If you owned a #inserttypeofparticularlynicebutexpensivecarhere# - would you want to take it to the supermarket to do the shopping? Or would you have a cheap runaround that didn't matter so much when some d#ck doors it...

i wouldn't bother posting any logic, the opinionated Mathewfalle will just shout you down, of course he's right, nobody ever had a winter bike or winter wheels :roll:

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Wed May 22, 2019 21:39 pm

just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

its a pair of very nice but still just £600 wheels. just ride the bloody things and look after them and they will be fine.

next thing you will be saying that ultegra is too good to ride in the winter..........

#wheels
#rotation
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Wed May 22, 2019 22:06 pm

#movetoabetterclimateproblemsolved.

w00dster

Postby w00dster » Thu May 23, 2019 08:30 am

Everyone's allowed to have their opinions, no right or wrong, just individual preference.
I've stated mine, I'm not a clubbie, but I do ride in places with a very harsh winter. £600 wheels for some isn't a great deal of money, but I know to others that is a once in a lifetime spend.
My preference is to ride shallow rims during the winter and even down to having cheaper (slower) more puncture resistant tyres. Maybe if I was riding in the South East lanes I might think differently. But in North Wales, at 1500 feet on fast twisty descent, I'd rather not be on deep rims.
Being honest, I don't recall seeing anyone else in the last 10 years riding on deep carbon rims in the winter around here. After living near Elgin for a few years, during those winters, I also wouldn't want to be riding in the highlands on my best deep carbon wheels during the winter. I don't really look out to see what people are riding, but I'd say that deep carbon wheels in the middle of winter would stick out around here.
Each to their own though.
But then again, I also have a nice car that doesn't get used very often. I tend to take out my beloved Citreon Berlingo rather than that one. When I go mountain biking I also take of my nice watch and put on my beater. Maybe its just me. (I'm a really bad driver who can't park to save their life - I'd rather not have someone door my car because I parked to close! - Plus its a bit of a faff to get it out of the garage, so for popping down to the shops I'd rather hop on my bike)

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Thu May 23, 2019 08:54 am

thing is there are some bargain wheels out there that really don't break the bank. They last a year and a bit at around 8000 miles a year... without too much maintenance..

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Thu May 23, 2019 09:36 am

Matthewfalle wrote:just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

its a pair of very nice but still just £600 wheels. just ride the bloody things and look after them and they will be fine.

next thing you will be saying that ultegra is too good to ride in the winter..........

#wheels
#rotation

Who said the winter bike/wheels have to be rubbish? They're not rubbish, they're just different to the summer wheels - like changing your tyres on the car over to winter tyres for better grip in the cold & wet ..

Appropriate tool for the job ...

#matthewfalleisalwayswrong :p

OnTheRopes

Postby OnTheRopes » Fri May 24, 2019 07:58 am

Matthewfalle wrote:just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

#wheels
#rotation

Doesn't mean winter bikes have to be rubbish or the wheels either but why ruin your best, and British winter will take it's toll on wheels and components.

just because you ride rubbish bikes and bits in your club doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Who said anything about a club, only you and your stupid vendetta against 'clubbies'

- Ridiculous comment, so you really would advise using a £4k set of wheels through a British winter, you are either rich or daft.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri May 24, 2019 08:53 am

OnTheRopes wrote:
- Ridiculous comment, so you really would advise using a £4k set of wheels through a British winter, you are either rich or daft.

Ooh! Is this a competition? Do we have to guess which? Could the answer be both??

Shortfall

Postby Shortfall » Fri May 24, 2019 09:55 am

keef66 wrote:
OnTheRopes wrote:

Ooh! Is this a competition? Do we have to guess which? Could the answer be both??

:D 8) :D 8) :D

Return to “Road Buying Advice”