Is road racing too expensive?

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
DeVlaeminck

Re: Is road racing too expensive?

Postby DeVlaeminck » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 am

I am guessing prize money, levies and volunteer expenses add to BC race costs. I've never organised under lvrc/tli though.
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:23 am

So could we do with BC cutting their entry levy and offering insurance FOC? Because don't you have to be a BC member to enter? Or buy a 1 day licence?

I guess that a lot of the time, entries are from people with enough money to pay into this sort of sport and actually, you only need to address the cost when entry numbers start dropping.

No - I don't ride around on £2k hoops or wear jerseys costing £130 either... in fact - the wheels I tend to ride cost less than the proposed jersey ...

davetex

Postby davetex » Mon Apr 08, 2019 13:59 pm

I can't wondering why the likely cheapest transaction method for BC races (online) attracts a £1 surcharge for the user, especially when that user is a BC member. Seems counter productive to me.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 18:19 pm

insurance FOC, whoes going to pay for it? BC make there money from the levies and other income. I am not saying they spend it all wisely but as an organising they do spend money on the sport. Insurance has gotten expensive for BC because riders keep on claiming when they crash. You race at your own risk. Claims should not be allowed. If you cant deal with the potenial loss from a crash in racing dont race it really that simple.

The prize money always comes from sponsors. It is for the Ixworth crits. I have stumped up cash from my shop for the CC sudbury road race before and might again this year. You dont get it back but you need prize money for the race.

Racing is as expensive as you want to make it. £30 for an entry is not so bad. It when you trash £2000 worth of kit in a crash it gets expensive. The cost is what it is.

LVRC is cheaper because you hire a circiut for a couple of hours get event insurance of cycling UK and hold a race. Alot less to it.

Road racing under BC regs is way more involved. Circuit racing under BC regs is often cheaper.
BC comms need paying. it goes on an on the costs. It's expensive to host.

Oh for the Ixowrth race we need to print programmes race numbers with rider names on them (alot of races we cant just reuse the same numbers)... it goes on. Yet our race is cheaper than some which shows we are canny.

transponder hire/costs have to factored in. Line Judging is a thing of the past or it should be. Line judgin is makor pain and if you dont get it right/have a messy finish it creates complications we could do without.

the insurance for free comment makes me thing you need to get real.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Apr 08, 2019 20:53 pm

I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure the insurance element in BC races doesn't allow competitors to claim for injury or damage. As far as I'm aware it is third party cover only. As for LVRC races just hiring a circuit that's not the case, they race on open roads too (or used to) and why would their costs for hiring a circuit for closed circuit races be any less than the BC equivalent? I've never used a transponder in a road race either as an organiser or a competitor though I haven't done either for a few years admittedly. It seems like an unnecessary cost to me.

DeVlaeminck

Postby DeVlaeminck » Mon Apr 08, 2019 22:10 pm

Line judging with a couple of elevated cameras is fine - I've organised/judged plenty of road races and I'd rather spend 20 minutes sorting out results than faff about with transponders. Transponders may make sense if you are awarding primes, prizes for 1st 3rd cat or giving all finishers a place (though all that can be done with a camera) but even then they are a nice to have rather than something that makes a real difference.
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 05:36 am

I always thought bc races were eye wateringly expensive. And to get anywhere means you’re racing twice a week minimum du ing the season so 150 to 200 pcm on entry fees.

Plus kit
Plus transport costs
Plus all the rest.

Notwithsatanding the cost of putting the event on racing in the UK is a very expensive sport.

My experience of racing in Europe was that the event costs were a fraction of bc and it wasn’t unusual to have closed roads esp in local crits.

mike cb

Postby mike cb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 08:13 am

This feeling of "better" coming along with "higher price"

Smaller events mean less equipment, less staff members on course, less swag, a lower number or no security, less medical staff and thus, an overall lower cost to put on the race.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 09:38 am

mike cb wrote:This feeling of "better" coming along with "higher price"

Smaller events mean less equipment, less staff members on course, less swag, a lower number or no security, less medical staff and thus, an overall lower cost to put on the race.

what?

BigMitch41

Postby BigMitch41 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm

I used to race motorcycles, now that was expensive! ;)
Paracyclist
@Bigmitch_racing
2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
2014 Whyte T129-S
2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
Big Mitch - YouTube

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Wed Apr 17, 2019 14:05 pm

Imposter wrote:
mike cb wrote:This feeling of "better" coming along with "higher price"

what?

Exactly... what's he talking about? staff members... swag..?

Ajkerr73

Postby Ajkerr73 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am

Alejandrosdog wrote:I always thought bc races were eye wateringly expensive. And to get anywhere means you’re racing twice a week minimum du ing the season so 150 to 200 pcm on entry fees.

Plus kit
Plus transport costs
Plus all the rest.

Notwithsatanding the cost of putting the event on racing in the UK is a very expensive sport.

My experience of racing in Europe was that the event costs were a fraction of bc and it wasn’t unusual to have closed roads esp in local crits.

Comparing "racing in Europe" and here is not a discussion on race costs, it's a discussion on how national cycling bodies support and subsidise cycling in Europe versus the BC approach .

PS - to Joey who reckons it's £10-£15 and hour to race.....train harder, pedal faster and you'll make a profit in these races! ;-)

joey54321

Postby joey54321 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 13:25 pm

Ha! old thread. Thanks but I think I am done with road racing. This season I've found that the ones I have entered just don't do it for me any more, it's not worth the time and money for me.

Instead, I am gonna carry on racing cross through the winter and go back to TTs as a regular racing fix in the summer. Also gonna through in some self-supported ultra racing to dip my toe in that particular pond.

Return to “Amateur Race”