Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
SloppySchleckonds

Re: Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 pm

zefs wrote:Update on Hutchinson Performance 11 storm, I can recommend them for all round usage since I've ridden 2000km so far and they have 2 small cuts and no punctures (a few rides on wet roads but I mostly ride on good conditions). Previously I had Galactik's and Yksion UST which cut more but are faster since they are more race oriented.

They seem reasonably priced as well
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 21:09 pm

£/ per mile is important for determining valve.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 15:23 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:This thread was originally open to help people buying tubeless tyres at a reasonable cost. The problem of availability and cost has not disappeared in the meantime.

Lately it has developed into the "how to patch a tubeless tyre" thread.

The all point of tubeless tyres is that you shouldn't have to worry about any of that... but if that becomes the main topic of discussion, then maybe something is not quite right

Agree with you on cost - they do seem to be significantly more expensive still. Availability is improving, but there are still an awful lot of bike shops that look at you blankly when they get a question about road tubeless tyres..........

Ease of use (fitting, adding sealant etc etc), is still a big stumbling block and until it is improved they won't gain acceptance from a sizeable proportion of road cyclists.

pgmabley

Postby pgmabley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 am

Any recommendations for decently puncture protected 32mm tubeless tyre for Audaxing, particurlarly PBP this year.

I'm in Chilterns, plenty of flint around.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm

it is easy fitting tubeless tyres you just have to rims that meet a certain standard first. Knowing if your rims meet those standard is fairly easy.

I have written a guide on my websitwe which is fairly brand neutral but reading a review on the a tubeless tyre this morning the reviewer was adding sealant by pouring it into the tyre then finish mounting and then inflate. One that can lead to some mess (sealant bubling out of when inflated or a spill) but if the tyre is a too loose a fit the tyre will either not go up (then you have a mess) or you end up using compressed air which if you have poured in stans probably means you could have some stanimals and a more dilute sealant mix as a result. The issue therefore is not a lack of a tubeless standard but people in the trade doing it all backward because when tubeless got started with MTB, you had to do it backwards because there was no properly tubeless ready kit on the market.

That has changed but people still do things backwards. That review talked about it taking 30 minutes to mount a pair of tyres. It take me 15 minutes the way I do it and there is no mess. That includes fitting the tape and valve. This is not rocket science you know.

The Spiderman

Postby The Spiderman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 03:28 am

I’ve just fitted my first UST road tubeless set up.
Mavic tyres on Mavic rims.
Inflated tyre with a track pump and tyres went straight up even without sealant.
Removed valve core added sealant with the supplied injector and reinflated. Very easy.
Having said that I have messed around with tubeless on my MTB and that can be a PITA but that was with non tubeless tyres and due to not checking the tape and interface first.
Get those right and it’s a doddle.
With this new found confidence in tubeless and having referenced Malcolm’s guides I’m going to have a go at converting the non tubeless Mavic XM319 rimes on my 29er using some newly purchased Vittoria Barzo TNT tyres and Gorilla tape.
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

zefs

Postby zefs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 07:16 am

That's what I've been saying about Mavic UST, other companies should follow the same standards/tolerances somehow.

SkeetAM

Postby SkeetAM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:36 pm

The Spiderman wrote:I’ve just fitted my first UST road tubeless set up.
Mavic tyres on Mavic rims.
Inflated tyre with a track pump and tyres went straight up even without sealant.
Removed valve core added sealant with the supplied injector and reinflated. Very easy.
Having said that I have messed around with tubeless on my MTB and that can be a PITA but that was with non tubeless tyres and due to not checking the tape and interface first.
Get those right and it’s a doddle.
With this new found confidence in tubeless and having referenced Malcolm’s guides I’m going to have a go at converting the non tubeless Mavic XM319 rimes on my 29er using some newly purchased Vittoria Barzo TNT tyres and Gorilla tape.

Same for me. I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST's in January last year and they were a doddle to set up. Only ridden them in the summer so not worn them down enough to try other brand tyres yet.

Ryan_W

Postby Ryan_W » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 am

After suffering yet another puncture on my Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storms (one that wouldn't seal and I had to stick a tube in), I have purchased a pair of GP5K TLs in 28c. Hoping with the positive history I've had with GP4Ks, these will perform the same...
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 --- '19 Cervélo S5 Disc Di2

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds...

zefs

Postby zefs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:57 am

I don't think GP5K has more puncture protection than Hutchinson Performance, you were probably unlucky with the puncture.

christimson

Postby christimson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 13:38 pm

Why didn't you stick a worm in? It's so simple and takes 10 seconds.

Ryan_W

Postby Ryan_W » Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:10 pm

I've had numerous punctures with these Hutchinson's, more so than I did last winter running GP4Ks with latex tubes.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but they're not for me. Have tried all different pressures as well as different sealants.

Admittedly I didn't try Stans Race in these, but one shouldn't have to with road tyres.

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 17:03 pm

One shouldn't with road tyres anyway you cant inject it.

Sanjay

Postby Sanjay » Mon Feb 18, 2019 17:35 pm

Why can't you inject the Stan's Race sealant Malcolm? Too thick? I've just got some and was planning to inject it through the valve with the core removed this evening!

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 00:37 am

It will clog the injector or the valve when forced through as narrow opening. The the hose pops off and sealant goes everywhere. If you try it in the kitchen your partner will no doubt throw you and your kit out in the the garden then lock the door. It can be just about drained through under gravity but that does not worked in a seated tyre. I have tried and gave up. I never sold it because i know what would happen.

I bought that race sealant and tried injecting it.....

Ryan_W

Postby Ryan_W » Tue Feb 19, 2019 09:44 am

It does pass through a value core, but due to its makeup, it isn't easy with the fibreglass type materials.

I would only use it by removing the bead of the tyre, and that's why it isn't ideal for road usage.

PaulMon

Postby PaulMon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

I've been using 30mm Mavic Elite Allroad tyres that came with my Mavic wheels on the Borg45 wheels Malcolm made for me throughout winter until on the last day of Festive500 picked up a sizeable puncture right in the middle of the tyre. The sealant did half a job and stopped the tyre going completely flat but as soon as I put any pressure in the tyre and added weight then the hole would give way. I attempted to repair it using a big worm when I got home but I wasn't convinced the worm and sealant would do their job whilst out on the bike so I've decided to replace the tyre with a Specialized Roubaix Pro which seem a bargain at £27.

Upto that point I had been reasonably impressed with the Mavic tyres although the wear rate when used on tarmac was high.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:59 am

PaulMon wrote:
Upto that point I had been reasonably impressed with the Mavic tyres although the wear rate when used on tarmac was VERY high.

FTFY

PaulMon

Postby PaulMon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 20:54 pm

The Spesh Roubaix Pro was a dream to get on and inflated. Not only did it go on the rim with little fuss but when I inflated it with the blast pump it pinged into place reassuringly and has sat there all day with 80psi in it. This is by far the best tyre I have put on the Borg rims. I have had 4 other tyres on there and all 4 presented their own little problems, either impossible to inflate and seal or requiring sealant to seal around the bead. I just hope the tyre is as impressive on the road as it was to fit. I'll put some sealant in tonight and report back.

claudie

Postby claudie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 14:22 pm

I have had exactly the same issues as ryan w with Hutchinson performance tyres. The front has been fine for over 1000 miles but the first rear lasted 3 rides before a 6mm split on the top of the tread and wouldn’t seal and the second tyre for a 4 mm split which wouldn’t seal after only 2 rides ( I managed to achovie this one successfully ) but no longer trust these tyres. Got a reasonable deal on GP 5000 Tl but this has been an expensive switch over and I’m not convinced it is worth it ove tubes.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”