Female riders are you on female bikes?

share ideas, ask questions and talk to other women in the sport
robthehungrymonkey

Re: Female riders are you on female bikes?

Postby robthehungrymonkey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 09:29 am

jibberjim wrote:
robthehungrymonkey wrote:Women generally have much longer legs to upper body ratio than men do. Therefore a shorter top tube would make more sense on womens bikes.

No they don't, in some parts of the world it's true, but in the UK it's not - see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12031138 has the ratios for all ages including young adults, you'll see that it's the MEN that have the longer legs / shorter bodies in the south east of England but that is very much an on average and the individual variation is high. But if it was the case, then as you say a shorter top tube may make sense for those people - but it's slightly more likely to be a male rather than a female here in the UK.

I'm surprised by that, as every girl I have tested it with has significantly longer legs proportionally than men.

TinyMac

Postby TinyMac » Sun Jun 29, 2014 15:36 pm

I have been reading this post with interest as a new lady rider!

I am 5ft3 but have very long arms, after testing various bikes I have finally settled on a Trek Lexa SL 2015 which should be arriving Wednesday (yay!) in a 52cm frame.

I was however very frustrated going round various shops and finding for the same £800 my bike was costing me (carbon forks/tiagra) my partner could purchase himself a full carbon bike with 105 and had an enormous range to choose from. My choice was basically between the Trek, the Giant Avail 2 and the Specialized Dolce Elite. Neither of the other two fit as well so it had to be the Trek - thankfully it's a relatively tame colour scheme - I don't know where bike designers got the idea all women want flowers and pink bar tape, of all the riders I know none of them are that 'girly'!

at2014

Postby at2014 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 13:42 pm

my wife is absolutely not a woman bike.... she has my length so overall so didn't need it and doesn't like the flowering on road bikes either. :)

HJ1976

Postby HJ1976 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:41 pm

I sat on lots of 'female' specific bikes when I got my current road bike - and was advised to get a 'unisex/male' bike due to my geometry :)

lindsey80

Postby lindsey80 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:29 pm

Everybody tends to be different, however I don't really like the geometry of womens road bikes or mountain bikes, best thing to do is to get a bike fit to be sure :)

hannahk

Postby hannahk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 20:46 pm

I've just bought myself a Trek Silque after a year of being uncomfortable on my current bike. Had a fantastic experience at Velocity Bikes in Cosham, Portsmouth if anyone down south is looking for advice. Now I just have to wait for it all to be built for me and shipped from America. :)

Estona

Postby Estona » Tue Aug 29, 2017 09:09 am

I like to ride my bikes through the mountains and take lots of photos. Travel is always fun. This is our health - cycling.
weedit.photos
Last edited by Estona on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

burnthesheep

Postby burnthesheep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 19:12 pm

I'll have to say, even if women's bike choice is slimmer than men's in the UK..........here in the US it is worse.

I am so jealous of all the places available to buy in Europe and some of the prices as well. I know you get hit with VAT after, but still.

I'm looking for my wife and the selection isn't great at all. The local shop with Giants, didn't see a single Liv in stock for her to try.

Then there's a lot of "not available in the US" configurations that means we have to buy a more expensive model of the same thing.

My exact Giant Propel in the US cost me $1800 on a big sale, without the carbon aero wheels. Same exact bike in the UK was like $1500 WITH the carbon aero wheels.

fat daddy

Postby fat daddy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 04:32 am

My wife rides a unisex Santacruz mtb and a women's spec geometry "hybrid"

It all comes down to the standover height for her. With mtbs there are generally loads with a low one, but with road frames the best are the women's geo .... just a shame the specs and range are poor on the majority of woman's bro bikes

Jayme

Postby Jayme » Thu Aug 31, 2017 08:08 am

I have one female specific bike and one unisex bike. Both are road bikes, but the female specific is more of an endurance bike and the unisex bike is more of a race bike. Both are equally comfortable. The unisex bike is a slightly smaller frame, so has a slightly longer stem, both have the same width handlebars. My preferred bike is the unisex bike, but it is higher spec.

dc5rn

Postby dc5rn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 20:31 pm

My wife rides a '17 Roubaix Comp Carbon in a 56. She's 5''10" and seems to fit better on a male bike. Too bad she's taller, I can't even ride her new bike :(

Pitters

Postby Pitters » Sun Jan 21, 2018 13:12 pm

Yes -I’m shorty just under 5ft and have a liv bike which fits me perfectly. It’s an extra small frame .

Return to “Womens cycling forum”