Rouvy - everything you want to know

A place to discuss indoor training, training plans, online programs, turbos, rollers and buying advice
Spokesrider

Re: Rouvy - everything you want to know

Postby Spokesrider » Mon Feb 25, 2019 22:50 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:Does anyone ever have any problems mid ride where the gradient just seems to get easy and resistance almost stops. I was on one AR route and it happened at top of a climb. 8% went to what felt like 2 or 3%. It didnt last long so thought it maybe a glitch with that route. But it happened again on a different one and ended up cancelling the ride as it was supposed to be 10% and felt like nothing. Was wondering if it was a software or hardware problem. Using a cycleops magnus and linked to my phone via bluetooth. Was on a challenge route so wasnt happy having to abort but didnt want to go on putting out less than 200w flying up a 10% climb.

I've never run into anything like that with my Kickr Snap. 10 percent climbs never ever feel like 2 or 3%. My only complaint is that there is a bit of a lag, which I suspect has more to do with the recording equipment used by the contributor, so that the top of the gradient doesn't appear until I'm maybe 50 yards (or even more) beyond the peak of the hill as seen on the video. But some routes don't have much of that problem.

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 am

I've had no issues since switching to a Neo from a Direto.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

MrB123

Postby MrB123 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 09:18 am

Excellent development on Rouvy. They seem to have acquired a UK video company which mean there are now a load more UK based videos on there. Loads of stuff from some of the better sportives such as sections of the Fred Whitton, Etape du Dales, Hell of Hexham etc.

The quality seems superb from what I've seen so far.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 21:28 pm

Just started my trial period today and on the short 2017 TDF prologue stage i was impressed with the setup, video quality and easy of use, so far the best of all the major players I've tried which is everyone except Zwift. Shame my legs weren't play ball.

I especially liked that picking my turbo model seems to have all the settings spot on
Last edited by itboffin on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

super_davo

Postby super_davo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 07:55 am

Problem with the UK stuff e.g the Fred Whitton rides are they are very up and down, steep gradients either way, which is great when you're riding it for real, but doesn't make for the best turbo training experience. Trying to keep a reasonable power target is very difficult when you're basically shifting from your top gear to your bottom every couple of minutes.

The new videos are very obviously shot from a motorbike during sportive events which means there are lots of real cyclists on the video. Often the motorbike hangs behind them for a bit, zips past loads, then goes slow for a bit, all of which has nothing to do with how you're riding. So the presence of the cyclists in the videos IMO detracts from the realism, rather than adding to it. The videos like the AR Dolomites routes where the roads are basically empty other than the CGI riders work much better as the riders are racing you i.e if you go fast you pass them, if you go slow they pass you.

I'm optimistic about the purchase of the video company because the camera tech produces good quality videos - so when Rouvy start filming themselves for their needs the results should be great. But I'm definitely not blown away by the back catalogue they've put up so far.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:42 am

I just rode half of the Ventoux route, i can see how empty roads will make it feel more realistic and the video footage whilst good needs to be stabilised i.e. not rocking from side to side like a gopro camera would, otherwise i'm still impressed and enjoying it so far. I like the AR feature and the fact that you can upload videos of your own, if i have time i'll upload our club chaingang route.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 19:01 pm

I've uploaded my first route to their site, a simple flat local out and back https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/35956 i'll ride it online tomorrow and see how it compares to the real thing.

Return to “Indoor Training and Turbo forum”