Female riders are you on female bikes?

share ideas, ask questions and talk to other women in the sport
beccakingdom

Re: Female riders are you on female bikes?

Postby beccakingdom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 17:41 pm

I ride a blokes 56cm cube, still with the blokes saddle on it and I've not had a single problem. I have long limbs and a proportionally short body and mens bikes are generally fine for me. My winter bike is a 54cm mens spesh and that fits lovely too, again with a blokes saddle.

slowdog

Postby slowdog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm 5'2" and ride a Jamis Xenith female road bike. It's a 44cm frame with 700c wheels. No toe overlap problems and really comfortable. I also have a Boardman Comp fi flat barred road bike. I peeled the sticker off with the size on it, but I'm sure it's a small frame - also really comfortable.

I also have another three bikes which are all men's small or extra small size bikes. The womens ones I have are definitely more comfortable. I wouldn't rule out getting another mens though if I tried it first and it fitted. Having said that, I'm running out of room and I can't face getting rid of one of my old ones...

tapscrew

Postby tapscrew » Mon Aug 26, 2013 19:23 pm

No way! Because there is practically no choice and you have to have stupid colours like pink and purple or turquoise and have horrible flowers and stuff on them - gross. And its the same for clothes why do the womens clothes come in pink and purple and turquoise with horrible flowers and stuff on them?????

robthehungrymonkey

Postby robthehungrymonkey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 15:22 pm

Interesting thread. My GF is currently thinking about upgrading her (mens) Spesh Allez. When she got it, she said it was fine and still rides it everyday. However, I feel it just looks a bit wrong in her position, but difficult to put a finger on what.

Also, the cost of new handlebars/stem/saddle will probably add up to more than the cost difference between male/womens bikes.

And yeah, she's also struggling on too many of the WSD bikes being "too girly"!

Cafewanda

Postby Cafewanda » Thu Sep 12, 2013 20:12 pm

Like bikergirl I ride bikes with 650c wheels. I'm 4'11 so am very very limited in what I can get. I currently have a child's track bike, used as a singlespeed, which is my commute/social/shopper and a Trek 1.2 (2010) I use on long rides. As small as both frames are, the top tube on each could do with being a little shorter for my arms.

My next bike will be an Isla bike - another child's bike - the Luath small. Having ridden one at the shop, the top tube reach was great and having additional cross top levers was fun to use. I'll need a longer seatpost and may change the saddle. The great thing was, it's got 700c wheels so I can get different sized tyres. Using 650cx23s in the occasional London snow is 'exciting' but I'm getting a little old for that kind of excitement.

When I had my track bike 'tweaked' so I could put a rack on it, the guy who did the work was happy to see me riding with 650c wheels as he is of the opinion that they are more suitable for us shrimps in terms of toe overlap and something to do with headtube (which I didn't understand). I think he took a photo of the bike to use as a reference for future customers. I do wish more bikes with smaller wheels were available though, with a range of tyre sizes too instead of just 23s.

crossborderreiver

Postby crossborderreiver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 20:32 pm

[quote="p1tse"]Female riders are you on female bikes?

Probably opening a can of worms here but how do you sex a bike??

I've got a womans step through hybrid and a bloky tourer.
One of the problems with the step through frame is that the back brake cable runs down the sloping tube and then bends back up to the brake. Rain tends to run into the cable sleeve and gets trapped in the bend. Unless the cable is removed and oiled regularly it rusts and jams. The trapped water also freezes in sub zero temperatures resulting in the back brake jamming on.

ej2607

Postby ej2607 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 17:48 pm

I was on a very limited budget when I bought mine (bit of a newbie) but found that there were barely any womens bikes within my price range. I tried all sorts but have a men's bike which, after a few tweaks, fits me just fine.

Nikki Hunt

Postby Nikki Hunt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 17:38 pm

I have been struggling to get a decent road bike to fit for years. When I was in Majorca in March I hired a full carbon FP7 Pinarello, with a 48 cm top tube and a 48 cm down tube, with an Ultegra group set. It was the best bike I have ever ridden. I had no back pain, no neck pain, no numbness in my hands and wrists and I realised that this was the bike for me. I wanted to by it from the shop I hired it from but he wanted 2200 euros and it would not be available until the end of the season, by which time, it would have been well used. I decided I would try to buy a similar one once I got back in the UK. So far I have been unable to track one down.

I am a competitive cyclist and have to ride off the peg men's frames. Everyone tells me that I am far too stretched out but unless I can get a decent bike with a 48 cm top tube, I will always be compromised.

Has anyone had success with the geometry I am looking for? And if so, where can I get what I am looking for?

Levi_501

Postby Levi_501 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am

The most important thing about choosing a bike for the dantier sex, is the colour!

Trust me, if a (most that is) girl like the colour she will ride the bike and not give a rodents gluteus maximus about the geometry.

That said, saddles are very important.

jaxf

Postby jaxf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 14:22 pm

errrr .... I'm riding a bike the colour of which i HATE because it fits well ..... maybe I'm not dainty? (155cm and 53kg)

BLW

Postby BLW » Thu May 22, 2014 16:06 pm

Hi

Yes, I am a female (well last time I looked! lol) and yes I have a ‘womens’ road bike.

It’s a Boardman Road Sport FI.

I didn’t go out looking specifically for one, in fact when I spotted the bike I didn’t know that it was a 'womens bike', as it’s not feminine looking (pretty colours etc) so I was pleasantly surprised when they told me.

However it’s my first roady so I’m afraid I’m not qualified to compare the difference, seems to work ok for me though.

I’m 5’6 with long legs (long in thigh) but I do have a short torso though.

Strawberrymilk

Postby Strawberrymilk » Sat May 24, 2014 21:45 pm

I'm 5'9 and I ride a mens bike. I don't know any different as I always have ridden mens bikes, but I love my bike and it fits me well. I ride with a mens saddle at the moment, I'm not particularly uncomfortable on it (well, not anymore), however I'm planning on buying a womens saddle as soon as I can afford it (I'm broke because I borrowed £500 towards my new bike) Haha!

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Sat May 24, 2014 22:00 pm

At the end of the day they're (in an ideal situation where they're more than saddle/bars swap and pink paint) just a different geometry solution for different riders. We've seen more and more companies produce different bikes with different ride qualities and geometries and WSD is just another way for them to produce bikes to fit more people.

Personally I'd rather find a brand that has settled on a geometry that works for me and them massively optimized it rather than offering loads of different frames. unless they offer full custom in which case, AWESOME

Cyclum

Postby Cyclum » Sat May 31, 2014 20:34 pm

As a rule a man's frame with a female saddle. I have had a women's bike but I never feel like you get much for your money. They seem to bank on women buying a bike on how 'pretty' it looks.
Last edited by Cyclum on Sat May 31, 2014 20:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat May 31, 2014 20:39 pm

Bearing in mind how sensitive a 10 yo girl can be about appearances, mine bloody loves her 50cm Basso in 'men' size...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
ABCC Cycling Coach

upton

Postby upton » Thu Jun 19, 2014 16:24 pm

I think at the lower price point many womens bikes will be the shrink it and pink it type. At higher price points manufactures tend to alter the geometry a little.

I've got a 2nd hand 50cm Madone WSD. The only frame difference is that the top tube is sloping for a more compact design and shorter stand over height. Previous owner had 38 bars and a womens Prologo saddle which i've kept.

I didn't go out looking for a women's bike specifically, but it's more common that bikes below 50cm are womens specific anyway. For me, many xs bikes would have been a tiny bit big too.
As I road race I'm glad I've got 700c wheels- more likely for neutral service to have a spares. Someone lending you an inner tube is also never going to be a problem!

Gearing tends to be lower too. Mine came with a compact and but as a junior I'm limited anyway.

Pro women ride a mixture- just depends on what their sponsor wants. WiggleHonda the normal c59 (I think), Lotto Belisol a Cervelo R3. Not even sure if OricaAIS ride the Ccontessa" version of the Foil.

Specialized Lululemon and Boels ride the womens' Amira on the other hand. Guess Specialized naturally want the women to ride their "womens'" bike!

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Fri Jun 20, 2014 08:31 am

upton wrote:I think at the lower price point many womens bikes will be the shrink it and pink it type. At higher price points manufactures tend to alter the geometry a little.

But there is more variation between humans than there is between male and female. So there is an advantage to different geometries to meet those differences, there's more chance that Person X would suit Geometry Y than male / female.

There's no "female specific geometry" that can make sense.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

robthehungrymonkey

Postby robthehungrymonkey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 09:39 am

jibberjim wrote:
upton wrote:I think at the lower price point many womens bikes will be the shrink it and pink it type. At higher price points manufactures tend to alter the geometry a little.

But there is more variation between humans than there is between male and female. So there is an advantage to different geometries to meet those differences, there's more chance that Person X would suit Geometry Y than male / female.

Is that true?

Women generally have much longer legs to upper body ratio than men do. Therefore a shorter top tube would make more sense on womens bikes.

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:21 am

robthehungrymonkey wrote:Women generally have much longer legs to upper body ratio than men do. Therefore a shorter top tube would make more sense on womens bikes.

No they don't, in some parts of the world it's true, but in the UK it's not - see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12031138 has the ratios for all ages including young adults, you'll see that it's the MEN that have the longer legs / shorter bodies in the south east of England but that is very much an on average and the individual variation is high. But if it was the case, then as you say a shorter top tube may make sense for those people - but it's slightly more likely to be a male rather than a female here in the UK.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

upton

Postby upton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 21:05 pm

jibberjim wrote:

Of course, but most manufactures don't see it that way, preferring to simplify male Vs female geometry (although I personally like shorter top tubes).

A guy who has shorter arms/torso would be well suited to a women's bike. Suppose "titchy upper body design" doesn't have the same ring. :lol:

Return to “Womens cycling forum”