Things you have recently learnt

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Wheelspinner

Re: Things you have recently learnt

Postby Wheelspinner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

Not sure what your regulations are over there, but here it is a standard pharmacy practice to "repack" pills for people who have multiple scripts to take each day into daily "buckets". They supply pill boxes marked "Sun, Mon, Tue.. " etc and if someone has 4 different tablets to take each day, the pharmacist does this for them.

May be a service restricted to the elderly, or perhaps otherwise impaired, not sure, but it's certainly a standard practice.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am

Bottles not tamper proof? Used to have them. Also child safe which was more likely to cause adults problems opening them.

Cough medicines come with tamper proof features. Boxes of tablets only have your foil and some have a circular tape on the openings. Can't be beyond us to work one out for reusable pill bottles.

Put the counting out back to drug makers? Can easily be done with pill bottles.

This is minor compared to drinks bottles. If we do anything first it should be to ban plastic bottles and set up refund system to get bottles straight back into use without having to recover them like now. As in reuse not recycle.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 am

Wheelspinner wrote:Not sure what your regulations are over there, but here it is a standard pharmacy practice to "repack" pills for people who have multiple scripts to take each day into daily "buckets". They supply pill boxes marked "Sun, Mon, Tue.. " etc and if someone has 4 different tablets to take each day, the pharmacist does this for them.

May be a service restricted to the elderly, or perhaps otherwise impaired, not sure, but it's certainly a standard practice.

Fairly standard over here too.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 13:54 pm

yeah - my grandma, who has dementia, has them split by day and AM/PM as well. although my dad had to relabel them as she doesn't know what AM or PM means anymore for so they now say morning and evening - getting old doesn't sound much fun
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 14:32 pm

CTRL+Y is redo (much like ctrl+z is undo - just the opposite!)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:35 pm

Windows button + L is lock your PC. It locks it quickly so is a very good safety net if you go on websites that are not safe for work and your boss approaches suddenly.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:40 pm

Then they will wonder why you are sat infront of a blank screen - or been idle for so long.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:41 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Windows button + L is lock your PC. It locks it quickly so is a very good safety net if you go on websites that are not safe for work and your boss approaches suddenly.

windows key + m minimises all open windows which could be less suspicious if you want an alternative

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:42 pm

not the picture in picture video I am watching, sadly.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:51 pm

Oh I just get my phone and make to walk away. I've got a job i have to go to the shop floor from time to time. Locking the screen looks perfectly natural activity if followed with a getting up action.

I do use the minimise option but the lock works better for me.

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:52 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Windows button + L is lock your PC. It locks it quickly so is a very good safety net if you go on websites that are not safe for work and your boss approaches suddenly.

before checking that could you confirm what unlock is?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 15:54 pm

Whatever your password is. I guess you need the lock screen when not in use option set for this.

We lock our computers at work because we get people coming into our office when nobody is there. You can't trust people who work here! Obviously I'm the exception!

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 16:37 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Whatever your password is. I guess you need the lock screen when not in use option set for this.

We lock our computers at work because we get people coming into our office when nobody is there. You can't trust people who work here! Obviously I'm the exception!

got you

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu Sep 19, 2019 19:07 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Whatever your password is. I guess you need the lock screen when not in use option set for this.

Ah. I've always use ctlr+alt+del return, but yours is marginally less fiddly.

The thing on our school system that really bugs me is that if you've got Outlook open and log off, it tells you it's logging off, so you walk away, then doesn't log off because it asks you if you really want to log off, because Outlook is open. Grrr.

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Sep 19, 2019 20:13 pm

Don't get me started on school systems...

Maybe I'll start a thread called "seemingly trivial things that make mild-mannered teachers go incandescent with homicidal rage". Which probably makes it a good thing that there don't ever appear to be any actual real people in the council IT department.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Sep 19, 2019 22:20 pm

Whenever you go to a parents evening presentation at a school a message appears on the hoooge screen asking to install an update. Every flipping time.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Sep 19, 2019 22:56 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:Whenever you go to a parents evening presentation at a school a message appears on the hoooge screen asking to install an update. Every flipping time.

Just been to a school open evening for the local secondary school, which included an impressive performance by the school choir. Slightly spoilt by a three foot high Windows logo hovering above their heads while someone cued up the slideshow to follow.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Thu Sep 19, 2019 23:27 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Brexiteers probably think they get to their destination sooner with priority boarding.

Of course, if you are on a flight where there is restricted over-head luggage storage there can be some benefit but I tend to take the reverse approach to priority boarding - ie go through to the gate at the last minute and ideally join the queue to board when the plane is already boarding and the last few people are going through. Might as well spend as much time hanging round the main shopping area as possible than in a dreary departure gate; the second kind of hell is a fair bit worse than the first.

I've recently learnt that whatever the thread topic, if it's in Cake Stop then someone will mention Brexit on the thread.

Brexit will be the neuveau Monty Python: "Whatever you do, don't mention Brexit".

{Now back to page 5...]
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Fri Sep 20, 2019 03:30 am

darkhairedlord wrote:Whenever you go to a parents evening presentation at a school a message appears on the hoooge screen asking to install an update. Every flipping time.

Then don't have children. :D

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 04:18 am

Pinno wrote:Brexit will be the neuveau Monty Python: "Whatever you do, don't mention Brexit".

{Now back to page 5...]

Fawlty Towers surely?
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Return to “The Cake Stop”