Things you have recently learnt

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
PBlakeney

Re: Things you have recently learnt

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 15:52 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:If you take a decent photo you shouldn't need to edit it.

People saying that tend to think of post processing as a new thing. Try having a read up on how much post processing Ansel Adams did. It is simply digital instead of dark room these days.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 15:58 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:If you take a decent photo you shouldn't need to edit it.

People saying that tend to think of post processing as a new thing. Try having a read up on how much post processing Ansel Adams did. It is simply digital instead of dark room these days.

Renaissance art put the artist inside the camera, photography put them outside, and digital has put them back in. Something like that.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:00 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:People usually spend more time editing a photo than they ever do looking at the finished image.

That's the case with most stuff though isn't it?

filming a movie/watching a movie
cooking food / eating food (depending on the meal)
writing on a bike forum compared to riding a bike
making this f**king powerpoint presentation compared to actually presenting it!

etc
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:08 pm

Chris Bass wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:People usually spend more time editing a photo than they ever do looking at the finished image.

etc

That's why I don't use PowerPoint at uni anymore. Whiteboard, students can photograph it for notes, they get the context as the idea builds. If still don't understand I'll take 10 or 20 mins in the office to knock up a video. I try to do it in 1 take to save buggering about.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:41 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

etc

That's why I don't use PowerPoint at uni anymore. Whiteboard, students can photograph it for notes, they get the context as the idea builds. If still don't understand I'll take 10 or 20 mins in the office to knock up a video. I try to do it in 1 take to save buggering about.

Not sure our Customer Service Director would be OK with that approach! :D

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:44 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

etc

You can get interactive electronic whiteboards these days that allow you to save what you wrote/drew and send the file out by email. And do the presentation remotely to anyone else who has one. I guess they're a tad more expensive than the traditional versions though.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:48 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

etc

You can get interactive electronic whiteboards these days that allow you to save what you wrote/drew and send the file out by email. And do the presentation remotely to anyone else who has one. I guess they're a tad more expensive than the traditional versions though.

Local infant school has them so would assume that they are not that expensive in the scheme of things.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 17:30 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

etc

Local infant school has them so would assume that they are not that expensive in the scheme of things.

We have them in some rooms but not all. Last time I checked they didn't work after upgrading to windows10.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:44 pm

Mr Goo wrote:Many of the engines under bonnets of those cars from Munich and Stuttgart are made by Renault. So much for German engineering.

For a while Renault engines were fitted to Volvo's and the SAAB Griffin had a modified (to petrol) wet liner Isuzu engine.
However, Renault engines were amongst the best during the time their engines were dominating F!.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:50 pm

Pinno wrote:
Mr Goo wrote:However, Renault engines were amongst the best during the time their engines were dominating F!.

Not so recently learned, but a documentary at the time revealed that the optimum engine was the one that would fail 10m past the finish line. Explains a lot of F1 car failures.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:54 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
Pinno wrote:
Mr Goo wrote:However, Renault engines were amongst the best during the time their engines were dominating F!.

Not so recently learned, but a documentary at the time revealed that the optimum engine was the one that would fail 10m past the finish line. Explains a lot of F1 car failures.

That's right; they were built for each race until F1 was sanitised, err... I mean, da rools changed.
In Moto GP, tyres are made to last the 26 or whatever laps and no more. Any surplus longevity compromises grip.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 00:46 am

Pinno wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:
Pinno wrote:

That's right; they were built for each race until F1 was sanitised, err... I mean, da rools changed.
In Moto GP, tyres are made to last the 26 or whatever laps and no more. Any surplus longevity compromises grip.

This is essentially a decent cycling coach's motto though - you should be able to cross the line but if you can still climb off the bike you didn't give enough.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 00:50 am

HaydenM wrote:
bompington wrote:
HaydenM wrote:I had sort of assumed that more people under a certain age have an inherent propensity to learn new software as they were doing it from a very young age

Oh, if only....

More suited to the annoyances thread, but if I had a quid for every parent who has told me something like "oh he really enjoys computers, he's on his all the time" which translates as "gamer who has no clue how to make their computer do anything useful, nor any desire to learn"

I understand that but I still think a Grad today could have a head start over a grad of 15 years ago having grown up using computers for everything. I never really spent much time gaming though

The down side of that is that kids are entering primary school today unable to hold a pen/pencil/crayon, but oddly they can draw with their finger like on a tablet screen. And one of my little sisters friends a few years ago (she's 8 now) didn't have a clue how to turn a page in a book - she was trying to swipe the page. Like on a tablet.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 06:47 am

Mouth wrote:
HaydenM wrote:
bompington wrote:
HaydenM wrote:I had sort of assumed that more people under a certain age have an inherent propensity to learn new software as they were doing it from a very young age

Oh, if only....

More suited to the annoyances thread, but if I had a quid for every parent who has told me something like "oh he really enjoys computers, he's on his all the time" which translates as "gamer who has no clue how to make their computer do anything useful, nor any desire to learn"

I understand that but I still think a Grad today could have a head start over a grad of 15 years ago having grown up using computers for everything. I never really spent much time gaming though

The down side of that is that kids are entering primary school today unable to hold a pen/pencil/crayon, but oddly they can draw with their finger like on a tablet screen. And one of my little sisters friends a few years ago (she's 8 now) didn't have a clue how to turn a page in a book - she was trying to swipe the page. Like on a tablet.

Remember the first time I signed for a package with my finger after postie gave me the stick thingy. He was gob smacked.

I was a bit older than 8 in those days.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Sep 21, 2019 07:38 am

Mouth wrote:This is essentially a decent cycling coach's motto though - you should be able to cross the line but if you can still climb off the bike you didn't give enough.

Yeahbut, cyclists don't expect their legs to explode just past the finish line. :lol:

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 09:23 am

Mouth wrote:
HaydenM wrote:
bompington wrote:

Oh, if only....

Not having a clue how to do something because they have never had to isn't a bad thing, especially when it is something that takes about 3 seconds to learn how to do.

Learning how to use technology is a good skill, turning pages is a good skill, if you can use technology I'd guess you'll be able to handle turning pages when shown!

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 15:00 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
Mouth wrote:This is essentially a decent cycling coach's motto though - you should be able to cross the line but if you can still climb off the bike you didn't give enough.

Yeahbut, cyclists don't expect their legs to explode just past the finish line. :lol:

It is possible to give too much:

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 18:47 pm

stolen from a different thread - I never knew Ali G's real (fake real/real fake?! who knows) name:

Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:Don't worry, I didn't expect everyone to get it.

I'm not entirely sure you did either, but never mind.

You didn't try to explain your point so I didn't bother to think about it. Got dose of 'rickitis'? :wink:

It's a white guy playing a white guy. It's taking the p*ss out of middle class, suburban, white kids adopting inner city black street culture because they think it's cool, but not really getting it.

Not exactly. It's a white guy playing an Asian character who is pretending to be black.

https://youtu.be/QaZbrqE1CF4

The character's 'real' name is Alistair Leslie Graham. Baron Cohen has stated that he was loosely based on Tim Westwood.

You learn something every day. And for you, an important debate won :)

diplodicus

Postby diplodicus » Sun Sep 22, 2019 15:04 pm

Robert88 wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:

It is possible to give too much:

Or take too much :shock:

Pross

Postby Pross » Sun Sep 22, 2019 21:05 pm

That you catch the sun more up in the mountains even though it's cooler in the valleys. Nursing sore shoulders and neck today.

Return to “The Cake Stop”