Things you have recently learnt

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Chris Bass

Things you have recently learnt

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 13, 2019 15:20 pm

Didn't want to call this seemingly trivial things you have recently learnt but that is kind of what i am pitching this as!

I recently learnt when to use less or fewer when talking about percentages - it depends on the thing you are taking a percentage of, if that is countable then it is fewer otherwise it is less!

for example:
there were 10% fewer children according to Mr Johnson
There was 10% less water in the bucket
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

KingstonGraham

Re: Things you have recently learnt

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 15:28 pm

What a cashew nut plant looks like.
and then the next thing you know

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:03 pm

That excess profits duty could be reduced by investing the profits in the business. Also corporation tax was invented by Austen Chamberlain in 1921.

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:56 pm

Robert88 wrote:That excess profits duty could be reduced by investing the profits in the business.

My dear chap, the taxable profit number is what you want it to be. Don't even need taxdodger666 to tell you that. Cash however is a real number.

evil_breakfast

Postby evil_breakfast » Fri Sep 13, 2019 19:41 pm

KingstonGraham wrote:What a cashew nut plant looks like.

I know, mad isn't it?
I will no longer internally object to the price now, as it must be fairly labor intensive.
You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 13, 2019 22:41 pm

evil_breakfast wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:What a cashew nut plant looks like.

I know, mad isn't it?

nuts you could say

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 08:01 am

orraloon wrote:
Robert88 wrote:That excess profits duty could be reduced by investing the profits in the business.

My dear chap, the taxable profit number is what you want it to be. Don't even need taxdodger666 to tell you that. Cash however is a real number.

Maybe it's not so recent, but how little most people know about tax :wink:

At least Robert88 is trying to educate himself about what tax was like in the last century.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 14, 2019 09:02 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
orraloon wrote:

At least Robert88 is trying to educate himself about what tax was like in the last century.

I would agree with this - the amount of people I have spoken to who seem to be relatively well educated otherwise who are adamant that if they get a small pay rise that puts them into the next tax bracket their net pay will actually be lower is quite amazing!

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 09:18 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
orraloon wrote:

I am researching a well-known company that rose and fell last century and how it met its end. It's interesting because the main character was a chartered accountant and also a vocal right wing politician very much like we have today. Its history is almost non-existent on t'internet as if it had been wiped. In its last days shareholders rose in revolt because of the way in which its assets had been grossly undervalued by its accountants and only revealed by chance. By that time the main character was long dead and its youngest director had met his end in mysterious circumstances. None of this can be found with a search engine.

On its collapse lots of manufacturing jobs were lost in two towns and you'd think the internet history of those towns would record something but there is nothing at all almost as if they had been hosting the Mafia. Indeed in the company's heyday it practically ran the town where its HQ was. When it was wound up (it was sold to a foreign buyer) there was a lot money from asset sales but it is very hard to discover what happened to it but it was certainly not reinvested in the places the company had once operated. Capital knows no borders since exchange controls were abolished.

bonk king

Postby bonk king » Sat Sep 14, 2019 09:45 am

I very recently, just now in fact, learnt some fascinating new stuff about %'s, cashew nut plants and tax. Carry on.

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 am

That Google recognises facial expressions in pictures.

I was playing around with their cloud based OCR thing and came across the face detection part. I guess that cameras that take the picture when you smile use a similar principle.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:22 pm

I discovered recently that I am not related to Bobby Crush.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 18:27 pm

I need to get the cars filled up.

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Sat Sep 14, 2019 19:12 pm

The sun is 150 million kilometres from Earth

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Sat Sep 14, 2019 19:43 pm

That time is measured by the distance light travels not the other way around.

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Sun Sep 15, 2019 04:54 am

That the average North Sea cod is 53kg when caught.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 05:29 am

That I've been mispronouncing the musical term 'adagio' all my musical life: an Italian speaker told me that the 'i' merely softens the 'g', so that the pronunciation is "adajjo", not "adajjeo".

diamonddog

Postby diamonddog » Sun Sep 15, 2019 07:16 am

That me ‘Living the Dream’ isn’t always Living the Dream
(Spanish Floods)

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sun Sep 15, 2019 09:04 am

briantrumpet wrote:That I've been mispronouncing the musical term 'adagio' all my musical life: an Italian speaker told me that the 'i' merely softens the 'g', so that the pronunciation is "adajjo", not "adajjeo".

is this always the case in Italian? so would the footballer Roberto Baggio be pronounced Roberto Bajjo - If so I have been saying his name wrong my whole life - not that I have said it that often in fairness!

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 13:08 pm

Chris Bass wrote:
briantrumpet wrote:That I've been mispronouncing the musical term 'adagio' all my musical life: an Italian speaker told me that the 'i' merely softens the 'g', so that the pronunciation is "adajjo", not "adajjeo".

is this always the case in Italian? so would the footballer Roberto Baggio be pronounced Roberto Bajjo - If so I have been saying his name wrong my whole life - not that I have said it that often in fairness!

Yes, also in Italian an h after a c hardens the c sound so it is like a ck in English.

Return to “The Cake Stop”