May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Robert88

Re: May has gone - ding dong the witch is gone

Postby Robert88 » Fri May 24, 2019 14:33 pm

"Brexit meant MyExit" the Musical

By Cameron and May.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri May 24, 2019 15:27 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:https://fullfact.org/europe/what-was-promised-about-customs-union-referendum/

here, about half way down, Brexit does not mean leaving the single market is said explicit by Gove, Johnson and Hannan and even Aaron Banks and Farage talk about the "Norway option" in the campaign.

The argument is that May then called a GE with a manifesto containing a different version of Brexit. The result of that GE provided a mandate - albeit a weak one - for the that different version of Brexit.

How close does the manifesto come to the withdrawal agreement?
and then the next thing you know

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri May 24, 2019 15:30 pm

remainers did say that brexit would lead to job losses
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri May 24, 2019 15:58 pm

KingstonGraham wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:https://fullfact.org/europe/what-was-promised-about-customs-union-referendum/

here, about half way down, Brexit does not mean leaving the single market is said explicit by Gove, Johnson and Hannan and even Aaron Banks and Farage talk about the "Norway option" in the campaign.

The argument is that May then called a GE with a manifesto containing a different version of Brexit. The result of that GE provided a mandate - albeit a weak one - for the that different version of Brexit.

How close does the manifesto come to the withdrawal agreement?

I'll admit to not having done a line by line comparison.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

mamil314

Postby mamil314 » Fri May 24, 2019 16:12 pm

Reported thread title, I don't believe this forum needs to cater to this.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Fri May 24, 2019 16:32 pm

What? Faux outrage much?

Matthewfalle

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 24, 2019 16:35 pm

thread title changed because Mamil felt OUTRAGE

#anger
#freespeech
#we'renotallTories
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Fri May 24, 2019 16:35 pm

mamil314 wrote:Reported thread title, I don't believe this forum needs to cater to this.
are you seriously objecting to "ding dong the witch is gone"?

It's the word "dong" isn't it, because it could mean penis?
Last edited by First Aspect on Fri May 24, 2019 17:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjsterry

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby rjsterry » Fri May 24, 2019 16:47 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:thread title changed because Mamil felt OUTRAGE

#anger
#freespeech

#we'renotallTories

Having a Yaxley-Lennon moment there, MF? ;)
1980s BSA 10sp

DeVlaeminck

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter total failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby DeVlaeminck » Fri May 24, 2019 16:57 pm

I can understand where May was coming from, she seemed to see herself as a kind of unifying leader in the middle of two extremes but it's been clear for a while she was unwilling or incapable of building a majority around any kind of way forward and she's really just been slowing down progress. Of course depending on our destination we may end up wishing progress had been slowed even more but she's overstayed her welcome and I doubt many from any political perspective will think she should stay.

Hard to really feel much about her going as there is so little certainty as to where we go now.
Holbrook Sports FC Women - sign for us

Robert88

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter total failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby Robert88 » Fri May 24, 2019 16:59 pm

DeVlaeminck wrote:I can understand where May was coming from, she seemed to see herself as a kind of unifying leader in the middle of two extremes but it's been clear for a while she was unwilling or incapable of building a majority around any kind of way forward and she's really just been slowing down progress. Of course depending on our destination we may end up wishing progress had been slowed even more but she's overstayed her welcome and I doubt many from any political perspective will think she should stay.

Hard to really feel much about her going as there is so little certainty as to where we go now.

Yes, there's no question you knew where you stood when May was at the helm.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Fri May 24, 2019 17:06 pm

Robert88 wrote:
DeVlaeminck wrote:I can understand where May was coming from, she seemed to see herself as a kind of unifying leader in the middle of two extremes but it's been clear for a while she was unwilling or incapable of building a majority around any kind of way forward and she's really just been slowing down progress. Of course depending on our destination we may end up wishing progress had been slowed even more but she's overstayed her welcome and I doubt many from any political perspective will think she should stay.

In no man's land surrounded by the dead and dying, with sounds of battle heard through the fog from all sides?

Yes. We knew where we stood.

It is still better than being strapped to a war head remotely controlled by bickering psychopathic children, which is what we will have next.

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Fri May 24, 2019 17:18 pm

Play time for all...

Dear redacted

Please see below a statement from the Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party, and Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Vice-Chairmen of the 1922 Committee:

“This morning the Prime Minister announced her intention to resign as Leader of the Conservative & Unionist Party on Friday 7 June. We are saddened by her decision but understand it, and thank her for her years of service to our Party and our nation, not just as Prime Minister but over many decades before that. As an activist, a councillor, a devoted constituency MP, a loyal member of the Shadow Cabinet in our long years of opposition, our first female Party Chairman, as a bold and reforming Home Secretary, and throughout her time as our nation’s second female Prime Minister, she has shown great dedication, courage and tenacity. She embodies the finest qualities of public service and, with this decision, has once again demonstrated her strong sense of duty and devotion to the national interest.

After the Prime Minister has resigned as Leader of the Conservative Party, we will begin the process to elect a new Leader. The timetable for this is set by the Executive of the 1922 Committee after consultation with the Party Board, which includes representatives of the voluntary, Parliamentary and professional party. We intend that the Parliamentary stages of the contest – which involves determining the final choice of candidates to put before all members of the party – should begin with the close of nominations in the week commencing 10 June.

Successive rounds of voting will take place until a final choice of candidates to put to a vote of all party members is determined. We expect that process to be concluded by the end of June, allowing for a series of hustings around the UK for members to meet and question the candidates, then cast their votes in time for the result to be announced before Parliament rises for the summer.

We are deeply conscious that the Conservatives are not just selecting the person best placed to become the new leader of our party, but also the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. That is a solemn responsibility, particularly at such an important time for our nation. We will therefore propose that the leadership election and hustings involve opportunities for non-members and people who may not yet vote Conservative to meet the candidates and put their questions to them too.

None of us will be candidates in the leadership election, nor will we support any candidate. Our focus will be on facilitating a full, fair and frank debate and contest. We have discussed this proposal with the Chairman of the Conservative National Convention, who is also content with it.”

The Conservative Party

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri May 24, 2019 17:20 pm

First Aspect wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

In no man's land surrounded by the dead and dying, with sounds of battle heard through the fog from all sides?

Yes. We knew where we stood.

It is still better than being strapped to a war head remotely controlled by bickering psychopathic children, which is what we will have next.

Talking of which, can we cancel the Addams family state visit now?

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 24, 2019 17:50 pm

rjsterry wrote:

#anger
#freespeech

#we'renotallTories

oh God no!!!!!!!!! We're far too left wing for that. we're just concerned that someone will report a thread title that doesn't contain swearing/blasphemy/anfi-semitism/racism/sexism etc because he feels that goes against his personal political views and is therefore WRONG

#yaxley-lennonhideouscreature
#milkshake

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri May 24, 2019 17:57 pm

orraloon wrote:Play time for all...

Dear redacted

Please see below a statement from the Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party, and Dame Cheryl Gillan MP and Charles Walker OBE MP, Vice-Chairmen of the 1922 Committee:

“This morning the Prime Minister announced her intention to resign as Leader of the Conservative & Unionist Party on Friday 7 June. We are saddened by her decision but understand it, and thank her for her years of service to our Party and our nation, not just as Prime Minister but over many decades before that. As an activist, a councillor, a devoted constituency MP, a loyal member of the Shadow Cabinet in our long years of opposition, our first female Party Chairman, as a bold and reforming Home Secretary, and throughout her time as our nation’s second female Prime Minister, she has shown great dedication, courage and tenacity. She embodies the finest qualities of public service and, with this decision, has once again demonstrated her strong sense of duty and devotion to the national interest.

After the Prime Minister has resigned as Leader of the Conservative Party, we will begin the process to elect a new Leader. The timetable for this is set by the Executive of the 1922 Committee after consultation with the Party Board, which includes representatives of the voluntary, Parliamentary and professional party. We intend that the Parliamentary stages of the contest – which involves determining the final choice of candidates to put before all members of the party – should begin with the close of nominations in the week commencing 10 June.

Successive rounds of voting will take place until a final choice of candidates to put to a vote of all party members is determined. We expect that process to be concluded by the end of June, allowing for a series of hustings around the UK for members to meet and question the candidates, then cast their votes in time for the result to be announced before Parliament rises for the summer.

We are deeply conscious that the Conservatives are not just selecting the person best placed to become the new leader of our party, but also the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. That is a solemn responsibility, particularly at such an important time for our nation. We will therefore propose that the leadership election and hustings involve opportunities for non-members and people who may not yet vote Conservative to meet the candidates and put their questions to them too.

None of us will be candidates in the leadership election, nor will we support any candidate. Our focus will be on facilitating a full, fair and frank debate and contest. We have discussed this proposal with the Chairman of the Conservative National Convention, who is also content with it.”

The Conservative Party

Since you're kindly subbing the Tory party, who will you vote for Looney? :)
Last edited by Stevo 666 on Fri May 24, 2019 20:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

orraloon

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby orraloon » Fri May 24, 2019 18:16 pm

Whichever is the bigger w@nker of the 2 finalists selected by 0.0007% of the electorate, obvs. de Pfeffel in an early lead.

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger"

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri May 24, 2019 19:17 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

#anger
#freespeech

#we'renotallTories

oh God no!!!!!!!!! We're far too left wing for that. we're just concerned that someone will report a thread title that doesn't contain swearing/blasphemy/anfi-semitism/racism/sexism etc because he feels that goes against his personal political views and is therefore WRONG

#milkshake

Just teasing. Dunno about mamil's political views, but the 'witch' bit doesn't really have anything to do with May's politics. I think she was pretty terrible as a PM, but at least she gave a sh*t. The last PM to resign trotted back into no. 10, doo-de-dooing as though he had just put the recycling out rather than plunging the country into 3 years of ever increasingly bitter division.
1980s BSA 10sp

rjsterry

Re: May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Postby rjsterry » Fri May 24, 2019 19:27 pm

orraloon wrote:Whichever is the bigger w@nker of the 2 finalists selected by 0.0007% of the electorate, obvs. de Pfeffel in an early lead.

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger"

Digital Minister, Margot James is on to you, Looney.

Effectively, the prime minister is going to be chosen by roughly 100,000 people, assuming we go that far into the contest, who don’t ... some would argue they don’t really represent the majority of Conservative voters, let alone the country as a whole.
1980s BSA 10sp

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 24, 2019 19:56 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

#anger
#freespeech

#we'renotallTories

#milkshake

Just teasing. Dunno about mamil's political views, but the 'witch' bit doesn't really have anything to do with May's politics. I think she was pretty terrible as a PM, but at least she gave a sh*t. The last PM to resign trotted back into no. 10, doo-de-dooing as though he had just put the recycling out rather than plunging the country into 3 years of ever increasingly bitter division.

pm - usless

home secretary: awful creature, therefore "witch"

Grenfell: disgraceful

Tory

#hideous
Last edited by Matthewfalle on Fri May 24, 2019 20:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Return to “The Cake Stop”