Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Robert88

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Robert88 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 06:25 am

PBlakeney wrote:On a more serious note - Who supplies military drones?
I doubt Iran do so is America getting cross at itself or is the UK being discreetly quiet?

I've a friend whose husband is an Arabian arms dealer. How many do you need?

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 06:42 am

Federal Reserve announces new effort to soothe money markets

Could be nothing or it could be bigger.

the fact that a ‘temporary’ cash squeeze created so much drama shows that neither the Fed nor investors completely understand how the cogs of the modern financial machine mesh.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sun Sep 22, 2019 15:38 pm

Why is this website so unstable?

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon Sep 23, 2019 07:41 am

Pinno wrote:
crumbschief wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.

If you can..,find out if it faces to the left or the right,i'm guessing it will be to the left but you never know.

Could it have been made in India? The Swastika is very similar to the Diwali symbol.

Bit older and more complicated than that...... (basically, everyone seems to have used it!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

There's one dating to a few hundred years BC not far from me on Ilkley Moor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Stone
Faster than a tent.......

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Mon Sep 23, 2019 09:12 am

I doubt the watering bucket was made in Ikley (BC) was it?! :roll:

Oh, and keep your hat on - it gets cold up there.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon Sep 23, 2019 09:16 am

Pinno wrote:I doubt the watering bucket was made in Ikley (BC) was it?! :roll:

It's never sensible to visit the Swastika Stone without a hat on. I read that somewhere.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 23, 2019 09:22 am

I think it is a myth that hatzis tried to put out there in the 40s - I could be wrong
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:23 am

Rolf F wrote:
Pinno wrote:I doubt the watering bucket was made in Ikley (BC) was it?! :roll:

It's never sensible to visit the Swastika Stone without a hat on. I read that somewhere.

Watch out for those Ducks too.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Sep 23, 2019 17:42 pm

How can anyone bring themselves to sit through a Party conference (of any colour)? I'm genuinely struggling to think of a worse way to voluntarily spend your time.

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 19:44 pm

Rolf F wrote:
Pinno wrote:
crumbschief wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.

If you can..,find out if it faces to the left or the right,i'm guessing it will be to the left but you never know.

Could it have been made in India? The Swastika is very similar to the Diwali symbol.

Bit older and more complicated than that...... (basically, everyone seems to have used it!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

There's one dating to a few hundred years BC not far from me on Ilkley Moor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Stone

I think his swastika is the nazi way round, will confirm when he is back. These replies intrigued me enough to Google and it could be South African. It does have 1.5 gallon stamped on it so from a country not on the metric system.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Sep 23, 2019 21:17 pm

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Sep 24, 2019 07:42 am

Pross wrote:How can anyone bring themselves to sit through a Party conference (of any colour)? I'm genuinely struggling to think of a worse way to voluntarily spend your time.

Stapling your eyelids to your eyeballs? I think there are many worse options. A few days of snoozing would go down well right now. Occasionally waking up to hear what catastrophic decision has just been made and then going back to sleep in a hopeless attempt to turn it into a mere nightmare.......

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Tue Sep 24, 2019 09:13 am

How youtube picks ads to show e.g. advertisement for vaginal cream during Peppa Pig.

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 am

Pross wrote:How can anyone bring themselves to sit through a Party conference (of any colour)? I'm genuinely struggling to think of a worse way to voluntarily spend your time.

This is the paradox of politics: for democracy to work, the people who need to get involved are, pretty much by definition, the ones who would rather be doing something else.

To put it another way: no-one in their right mind would want to be involved. So the ones who get involved must, by definition, not be in their right minds.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 am

bompington wrote:

This is the paradox of politics: for democracy to work, the people who need to get involved are, pretty much by definition, the ones who would rather be doing something else.

To put it another way: no-one in their right mind would want to be involved. So the ones who get involved must, by definition, not be in their right minds.

Joseph Heller should have written a novel about it!

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 am

*Wrong thread

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 19:26 pm

TheBigBean wrote:How youtube picks ads to show e.g. advertisement for vaginal cream during Peppa Pig.

YouTube is owned by Google the ads are not served based on the show...

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Sep 24, 2019 19:41 pm

Rolf F wrote:

Stapling your eyelids to your eyeballs? I think there are many worse options. A few days of snoozing would go down well right now. Occasionally waking up to hear what catastrophic decision has just been made and then going back to sleep in a hopeless attempt to turn it into a mere nightmare.......

bear in mind as well its not all electing new leaders/Brexit/invading countries its all the endless debates and votes about minor town coincil regulations and histprical in party regulations.

really frickin' boring stuff.

but its all about the networking and getting one over other people. and shagging other delegates in cheap Bournemouth/Brighton/Skeggy b&bs........
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Sep 24, 2019 20:54 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

bear in mind as well its not all electing new leaders/Brexit/invading countries its all the endless debates and votes about minor town coincil regulations and histprical in party regulations.

really frickin' boring stuff.

but its all about the networking and getting one over other people. and shagging other delegates in cheap Bournemouth/Brighton/Skeggy b&bs........

That's part of the problem though, have you seen the delegates? Yet another reason to stay at home!

When I worked for the Council our Union reps used to love their all expenses paid trips to the TUC or Labour Party conferences though. Apart from one or two genuine ones it was the only reason they stood for the role.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 20:55 pm

It’s the same for any industry conference.

Return to “The Cake Stop”