Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Rolf F

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 am

Rick Chasey wrote:gone for the presidential white block pocket square too then? To complete the fancy dress look?

Surely you don't think that a tie with an unobtrusive clip constitutes fancy dress? I hope you don't go to fancy dress parties - the disdain would be traumatising!

I'm not exactly naturally dapper or anything. I just like to try a little to react against endemic workplace slovenliness!! It's needed......
Faster than a tent.......

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 am

Rolf F wrote:Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Oh hai! :D

Ties are a PITA and don't affect how well you do the job, so why bother.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 am

Rolf F wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Tie clips?

Are you in fancy dress as a "business man"?

Never had a pinstripe suit.... (hate the things - look terrible on anyone!).

Tie clips are just a thing that jazzes a tie up a little and has functional value (stops the tie blowing round and trying to garrotte me when I pop out to the meadow at lunchtime on a windy day looking for butterflies!). Of course, I also have shirts with French cuffs and shoes made in Northampton (bet Coopsters are made in China, the little patriot).....

Ties will be back, mark my words. The hipsters will demand it.

Glad at least Bomp gets it......

a proper tie (non of this nylon/polyester rubbish poor people wear), a well cut suit, decent shoes and shirt - yeah its actually quite nice sometimes.

our formal kit is Wful to wear but looks good but you notice the difference between it and a nice suit immediately.

the one thing i really don't like is the shirt/blazer/jeans/loafer look. the clarkson. awful.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:58 am

Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Cuffs are up to you. Round here if you're a brit you wear double cuffs, as much as a pain as they are, though I actually don't mind single on others, if they're nice shirts.

If you start deviating away from formal suit colours, all the rulez are out the window and what you wear is a fashion statement. Whole different ballgame at that point.

Beyond that, you want your suit to give off the impression of *you* being super smart, but the suit should never be never memorable.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Speak for yourself.

If I turned up to a pitch without a tie they'd wonder what I was smoking and why I was being so presumptuous.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

Speak for yourself.

If I turned up to a pitch without a tie they'd wonder what I was smoking and why I was being so presumptuous.

I am.

The City is more 'corporate' obviously. And you have clients so you have to go along with their norms, rather than going with your own. I'll wear one for the odd board presentation because I choose to, but my tie collection has lasted long enough to keep Rolf happy from sheer lack of use.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:12 pm

You're not in a BD role though. You're mainly internally facing, and the external folks you meet are pitching to you.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Cuffs are up to you. Round here if you're a brit you wear double cuffs, as much as a pain as they are, though I actually don't mind single on others, if they're nice shirts.

If you start deviating away from formal suit colours, all the rulez are out the window and what you wear is a fashion statement. Whole different ballgame at that point.

Beyond that, you want your suit to give off the impression of *you* being super smart, but the suit should never be never memorable.

Pretty much this. I wear single cuffs as I can't be bothered with cufflinks any more except for special occasions.

Socks should be the colour of your suit (if plain).

I don't get monogrammed cuffs though. Two people at work have them and I think they look try-hard.

Although now in a BD role I rarely wear a suit. I mainly get told off for overdressing, but I am 'regional' now.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:You're not in a BD role though. You're mainly internally facing, and the external folks you meet are pitching to you.

We are not disagreeing here.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm

rjsterry wrote:A tie with jeans is a bit odd.

I disagree.

It's a lot odd.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Shirley Basso wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Pretty much this. I wear single cuffs as I can't be bothered with cufflinks any more except for special occasions.

Socks should be the colour of your suit (if plain).

I don't get monogrammed cuffs though. Two people at work have them and I think they look try-hard.

Although now in a BD role I rarely wear a suit. I mainly get told off for overdressing, but I am 'regional' now.

I've switched to single cuffs to but, much to other's disgust above, I have gone bit Clarkson these days. I always wore suits (and ties) but now, as client rather than adviser, don't have to any more except for the odd more formal meeting.

Oh and my socks always match my shoes. I hate contrasting socks.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Clarkson does have a way of making any item of clothing look bad. It depends how much of a slob you look like trying to pull it off.

I have now thrown away all my jeans except one pair for gardening

Socks should match trousers, or it makes your legs look short and / or that you're wearing boots.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm

I only wear a full suit when going to an AGM, if it's an IC meeting then I either wear a suit with no tie, or some variation of chinos and a jacket. The top guys don't wear ties either and they have previously been CEO/other top positions of various investment banks and investment management business' so I'm not too worried. I'd like the option to wear a tie sometimes but no one else in the office does and I'm not a fashion trailblazer...

Normal day to day I wear a lot of jeans or chinos and smart shirts in the office though

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Bigger question is what tie knots are you all doing and how big you're making them.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I make mine massive and really short like all the cool girls at school did...

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Bigger question is what tie knots are you all doing and how big you're making them.

Now we are talking!
Faster than a tent.......

hopkinb

Postby hopkinb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Something slightly asymmetric and not too big.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Wed Sep 18, 2019 13:04 pm

Four in hand.

elbowloh

Postby elbowloh » Wed Sep 18, 2019 14:16 pm

Step83 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Rolf F wrote:I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Oh, stop! :lol:

1930s-50s things; cheap worn silver plate but nice! And semi functional when you don't keep having to straighten them but there you go! It makes me feel deeply and justly superior to the non-tie wearers.

Speaking of monocles (in another thread) - apparently they are in now. Latest hipster thing. That intrigues me. Hope not Mogg inspired.

Have you considered a pipe? Not for smoking,but perfect for gesticulating.

Pipes are great for that.

At school DT was ties off or tucked into the shirt, sleeves up and girls hair tied back, band saw, pillar drills, lathes, sanders and welding gear so makes sense.
Same with Science fire, explosives etc not what you want near a cheap Nylon tie.

What you've described is whenever a PM or Minister visits an NHS hospital.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Sep 18, 2019 15:08 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Bigger question is what tie knots are you all doing and how big you're making them.

Neat Windsor with the length to finish on the belt when standing.
That said I rarely wear a tie these days. Used to be 100% at work.
Standards are slipping. :wink:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Return to “The Cake Stop”