Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Stevo 666

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Stevo 666 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Wayne Plunger wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

/

No thanks!!!!

Quite - we wouldn't want to do Boris out of a job :)
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:20 pm

Why people record their activities on 2 devices simultaneously and then proceed to upload both to Strava - and leave them there.

I get that some use a cycle computer AND their phone or smart watch - but it's a bit weird to see "Group Activity" appear in your Strava feed - for it to be the same person, same distance (give or take a decimal place) and then that they achieved their weekly goal or climbed the equivalent of Mt Everest ... when they didn't do any such thing ...

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:46 pm

Slowbike wrote:Why people record their activities on 2 devices simultaneously and then proceed to upload both to Strava - and leave them there.

I get that some use a cycle computer AND their phone or smart watch - but it's a bit weird to see "Group Activity" appear in your Strava feed - for it to be the same person, same distance (give or take a decimal place) and then that they achieved their weekly goal or climbed the equivalent of Mt Everest ... when they didn't do any such thing ...

But surely no-one would ever try to exaggerate their mileage by doing that, would they? :D :D

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:11 pm

Slowbike wrote:Why people record their activities on 2 devices simultaneously and then proceed to upload both to Strava - and leave them there.

both linked to Garmin connect - both sync automatically?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:31 pm

Chris Bass wrote:

both linked to Garmin connect - both sync automatically?

The activity that triggered the "intrigue" was a Garmin 705 .... there's nothing automatic about one of those! Even my son's 800 has to be connected to the computer to upload ... Perhaps the "athlete" is getting HR off one and Cadence off the other ... at least he's not joining the two rides together to make it up the Longest ride leader board! ;)

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Sep 17, 2019 22:55 pm

Milemuncher is Steven Abraham and I claim my fake £5.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 23:51 pm

Pinno wrote:Milemuncher is Steven Abraham and I claim my fake £5.

Don't. You. Ever. Be taking the name of St SA in vain. Get thee to purgatory.

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:30 am

PBlakeney wrote:
HaydenM wrote:
keef66 wrote:
elbowloh wrote:I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.

That certainly falls into the trivial / intriguing. Who, apart from undertakers or necrophiliacs, would be interested? And why spam a cycling forum FFS?

If you wanted to trick a bunch of cyclists into clicking on a dodgy link, how about 10 inner tubes for a fiver?

Hmmm, maybe they are onto something actually...

Well, at this moment in time 6 people have clicked onto it so it is off interest to some... :shock:
Edit - 8 and rising. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I clicked on it so I could hit the report button. I suspect others did too.

elbowloh

Postby elbowloh » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:49 am

Non-iron shirts.

Lets face it, they still need ironing, just not as much as a regular shirt, even when dried on a hanger.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:00 am

elbowloh wrote:Non-iron shirts.

Lets face it, they still need ironing, just not as much as a regular shirt, even when dried on a hanger.

Mine don't. Maybe you're using the wrong ones?

hopkinb

Postby hopkinb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:00 am

They work for me, even if they look a little bit creased on the hanger, or out of the shirt bag, the creases fall out after 15 mins of wear. Though I am very careful to take out of the machine immediately they have finished and dry on a hanger.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:10 am

Tumble dry often refreshes the non-iron.

Also put them on when you're still warm and a tiny bit damp from the shower.

I find CT ones work well and are the cheapest when on a deal. I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:30 am

hopkinb wrote:

They work for me, even if they look a little bit creased on the hanger, or out of the shirt bag, the creases fall out after 15 mins of wear. Though I am very careful to take out of the machine immediately they have finished and dry on a hanger.

How do you maintain a neat crease on the sleeves though?

hopkinb

Postby hopkinb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:35 am

Pross wrote:
hopkinb wrote:

How do you maintain a neat crease on the sleeves though?

Dunno, but it stays there like it has been drawn on, and I'm wearing a shirt > 3 years old today - needs to be chucked out really. I don't think that the production method for these non-iron shirts is terribly environmentally friendly.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:38 am

Shirley Basso wrote:I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.

Why people still wear ties ....

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:41 am

Slowbike wrote:
Shirley Basso wrote:I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.

Why people still wear ties ....

I like to wear one occasionally (weddings etc.) as they can allow you to add a bit of individuality when everyone is in either a grey or navy suit. Haven't worn one to work for probably 8 years or so though.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:45 am

Pross wrote:. Haven't worn one to work for probably 8 years or so though.

I started the trend of "no ties" at work - I said I wasn't going to wear one as when I'm leaning over an open PC there's a high probability of the tie falling into the CPU fan ... nobody wears a tie now ...

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:51 am

I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Slowbike - shame on you! You just keep being a bad influence on the world!
Faster than a tent.......

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:53 am

Rolf F wrote:I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Slowbike - shame on you! You just keep being a bad influence on the world!

I don't wear a suit! They're too thin, wear out too quickly and are, quite frankly, a complete waste .... and who needs the jacket?

and anyway - I don't emulate DC - I was doing the open neck, no tie thing way before you even knew who he was ... btw - he got it wrong - ditch the suit!!

keef66

Postby keef66 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 08:54 am

I always used to wear a tie to work, but they have fallen out of favour in the last few years. Even the Board members are now doing smart casual in the webcasts etc. I still occasionally wear one to keep people on their toes.

I miss them.

Return to “The Cake Stop”