Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 16:07 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
You've got a little sprog - do you think they'll thank you later on in life for earning more money or for spending more time with them?
Of course, there is a balance - but the one thing you cannot buy is more time.... so spend that time wisely.

Ah, the naivety of suggesting it's about more money.

How about, I do a long commute and don't see her in the week so her mother brings her up and not some random in a nursery?

I still stand by the "Don't live to work, Work to Live" - you just have to define for yourself what "Living" is ...

Yeah not sure you really got the point.

Working to live is a luxury, and for many it's not really a choice.

And there's a lot of judgement around about how to live one's life, particularly when children are involved, usually around how much or little you see your children. This rhetorical question, for example
You've got a little sprog - do you think they'll thank you later on in life for earning more money or for spending more time with them?

hmm?

I think I do - I don't think you do ...

Working to Live isn't a luxury - and for many it is a choice - one they often make subconsciously - it's working out what they're willing to sacrifice and in what timescale - so some may choose to work hard for a shorter period of time, earning sufficient to change their lifestyle later on. Others don't have the drive, willpower or believe they have the capability to do that and work a more mundane job longer term.

Some chose to work away from home for a job that they enjoy, but forfeit the home lifestyle - but they're not forced to do that job, it's a choice.

The question I put to you wasn't rhetorical - you know your earning potential and what that means in terms of lifestyle - do you give up city work to find a lower paid job local to home - and probably do away with the things that you can currently afford - or take the "I don't see my daughter during the week" on the chin - knowing that you'll be able to do more varied things as a family with the free time you do have.

You don't have to answer the question or justify what you're doing to me or anyone else - other than your wife & daughter - and as long as it's fine with them, then it's good.

Mate, you really don't have a clue.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Sep 16, 2019 16:38 pm

HaydenM wrote:
rjsterry wrote:A bit of a false dichotomy, this life:work thing.

Admittedly I don't have kids but I find the harder I work (not necessarily hours-wise, but often comes with it) the more satisfaction I get which translates into how much I enjoy my evenings and weekends. When I'm generally motivated it spurs me on to get out and do other things outside work.

For example, at the moment my boss has just returned from 5 months sailing to a part time basis, I've been smashing through lots of big bits of work which are far beyond my previous level of responsibility but it's been hugely enjoyable. I've also been riding my bike 5 times a week, getting fit and feeling strong. I'm generally much more positive about everything (including the OH snapping my X01 rear mech off my new bike). Don't know if that's because I like the pressure to some extent, or because being bored at work filters into out of work life for me.

Not having kids must play a part, I don't feel tied down by the stress so it's quite exciting. If I had kids that might change

You don’t see the connection between cycling more and your OH breaking off your rear derailleur? :lol:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 07:18 am

PBlakeney wrote:
HaydenM wrote:
rjsterry wrote:A bit of a false dichotomy, this life:work thing.

Admittedly I don't have kids but I find the harder I work (not necessarily hours-wise, but often comes with it) the more satisfaction I get which translates into how much I enjoy my evenings and weekends. When I'm generally motivated it spurs me on to get out and do other things outside work.

For example, at the moment my boss has just returned from 5 months sailing to a part time basis, I've been smashing through lots of big bits of work which are far beyond my previous level of responsibility but it's been hugely enjoyable. I've also been riding my bike 5 times a week, getting fit and feeling strong. I'm generally much more positive about everything (including the OH snapping my X01 rear mech off my new bike). Don't know if that's because I like the pressure to some extent, or because being bored at work filters into out of work life for me.

Not having kids must play a part, I don't feel tied down by the stress so it's quite exciting. If I had kids that might change

You don’t see the connection between cycling more and your OH breaking off your rear derailleur? :lol:

I've been taking the p1ss and saying she did it deliberately. She's getting quite upset about it which is either because it genuinely wasn't her fault or she's worried that I'm onto her...

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Sep 17, 2019 08:30 am

HaydenM wrote:....Not having kids must play a part, I don't feel tied down by the stress so it's quite exciting. If I had kids that might change

Kids don't add 'stress' - work, responsibility, organisation etc but not 'stress' and besides, you'll be bored of your current routine/work eventually.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:12 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Of course, there is a balance - but the one thing you cannot buy is more time.... so spend that time wisely.

Ah, the naivety of suggesting it's about more money.

How about, I do a long commute and don't see her in the week so her mother brings her up and not some random in a nursery?

I still stand by the "Don't live to work, Work to Live" - you just have to define for yourself what "Living" is ...

Yeah not sure you really got the point.

Working to live is a luxury, and for many it's not really a choice.

And there's a lot of judgement around about how to live one's life, particularly when children are involved, usually around how much or little you see your children. This rhetorical question, for example

hmm?

I think I do - I don't think you do ...

Working to Live isn't a luxury - and for many it is a choice - one they often make subconsciously - it's working out what they're willing to sacrifice and in what timescale - so some may choose to work hard for a shorter period of time, earning sufficient to change their lifestyle later on. Others don't have the drive, willpower or believe they have the capability to do that and work a more mundane job longer term.

Some chose to work away from home for a job that they enjoy, but forfeit the home lifestyle - but they're not forced to do that job, it's a choice.

The question I put to you wasn't rhetorical - you know your earning potential and what that means in terms of lifestyle - do you give up city work to find a lower paid job local to home - and probably do away with the things that you can currently afford - or take the "I don't see my daughter during the week" on the chin - knowing that you'll be able to do more varied things as a family with the free time you do have.

You don't have to answer the question or justify what you're doing to me or anyone else - other than your wife & daughter - and as long as it's fine with them, then it's good.

Mate, you really don't have a clue.

Yes - I do ... I don't think you get my point in the slightest - the fact that you're arguing says that you're thinking about it ...

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:16 am

No, you really don’t understand the financials.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:39 am

Rick Chasey wrote:No, you really don’t understand the financials.

blah blah blah.... money money money ....

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:42 am

Pinno wrote:
HaydenM wrote:....Not having kids must play a part, I don't feel tied down by the stress so it's quite exciting. If I had kids that might change

Kids don't add 'stress' - work, responsibility, organisation etc but not 'stress' and besides, you'll be bored of your current routine/work eventually.

I didn't mean it to sound quite like that, I mean that I have colleagues who get bogged down by the stress of work and it begins to feel oppressive as they have responsibilities at home which I don't have at the moment

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:49 am

HaydenM wrote:
Pinno wrote:

I didn't mean it to sound quite like that, I mean that I have colleagues who get bogged down by the stress of work and it begins to feel oppressive as they have responsibilities at home which I don't have at the moment

yup- kids certainly change the priorities for many - not all though.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:56 am

Rick Chasey wrote:No, you really don’t understand the financials.

You choose to live in the smoke.
With that comes the benefits of all the bright lights of the big city.

The down side is cost of living, transport and most importantly - work/life balance.
The cost of living and the demands that places on you are compromising that whole work/life balance.
This is your choice. You cannot complain about it as you have the power to alter your circumstances.

I for one, would not make decisions and choices that would compromise the time I currently have available with my children.
I am so glad I left Cheltenham. That was a good decision.That was a choice I made.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 09:57 am

Mate I don’t live in the smoke.

Don’t come on here judging people’s choices when you’re not aware of all the facts.

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 am

Rick Chasey wrote:Mate I don’t live in the smoke.

Don’t come on here judging people’s choices when you’re not aware of all the facts.

Nobody has judged anything - you have to ask yourself if you've got it right - and if the sacrifices you're making now are right for now and the future.
You're certainly touchy about it - so I guess it's hurting you a lot right now - check with yourself that you're doing what is best for all of your family and not just what is expected of you.

As an off the cuff suggestion - which I have no idea if it's in any way feasible - can you flex your working pattern so you can be at home at one end of the day say, mid week? Don't answer - I don't need to know - and I know I don't have all the answers....

elbowloh

Postby elbowloh » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 am

I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

keef66

Postby keef66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 am

elbowloh wrote:I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.

That certainly falls into the trivial / intriguing. Who, apart from undertakers or necrophiliacs, would be interested? And why spam a cycling forum FFS?

If you wanted to trick a bunch of cyclists into clicking on a dodgy link, how about 10 inner tubes for a fiver?

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 am

keef66 wrote:
elbowloh wrote:I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.

That certainly falls into the trivial / intriguing. Who, apart from undertakers or necrophiliacs, would be interested? And why spam a cycling forum FFS?

If you wanted to trick a bunch of cyclists into clicking on a dodgy link, how about 10 inner tubes for a fiver?

Hmmm, maybe they are onto something actually...

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am

HaydenM wrote:
keef66 wrote:

Well, at this moment in time 6 people have clicked onto it so it is off interest to some... :shock:
Edit - 8 and rising. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am

PBlakeney wrote:
HaydenM wrote:
keef66 wrote:

Well, at this moment in time 6 people have clicked onto it so it is off interest to some... :shock:
Edit - 8 and rising. :shock: :shock: :shock:
#

I didn't need to click, my current supplier is the only place that will deliver it in bulk.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am

I'm just wondering how big the embalming market is.

Is it a weird hobby that people do, much like taxidermy?
Is there an embalming forum where people who are members of embalming clubs get mocked for not having any friends?
Do people have to earn the right to wear the same clothes as their favourite embalmers?

The people need to know!!!!!!
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:59 am

I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

http://funerals.smfforfree2.com/
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

/

No thanks!!!!

Return to “The Cake Stop”