Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
briantrumpet

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby briantrumpet » Thu Sep 05, 2019 22:24 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Pross wrote:
briantrumpet wrote:Is it possible to fart in your sleep?

I realise that this might be disqualified from this thread, as maybe it's not trivial...

Apparently so according to my wife. They can wake you up too.

I concur.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a skill one can learn, or are you two just naturals? I've certainly got aptitude when awake...

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Thu Sep 05, 2019 23:03 pm

briantrumpet wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Pross wrote:

I realise that this might be disqualified from this thread, as maybe it's not trivial...

I concur.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a skill one can learn, or are you two just naturals? I've certainly got aptitude when awake...

My eight year old daughter does. Her room stinks.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sun Sep 08, 2019 16:26 pm

I wonder how rich the person who lives below me (i live in a flat - i don't just look down on people!) would be if they didn't smoke.

I like having my windows open and the frequency in which i can smell cigarette smoke (one for the annoying thread there!) is incredible! I often work from home so may keep a tally one day and work out how many she smokes! It must be at least 40 a day easily.
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 17:01 pm

briantrumpet wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Pross wrote:

I concur.

Another illusion shattered. I honestly believed you were a musician.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Sep 10, 2019 22:11 pm

Robert88 wrote:
briantrumpet wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Pross wrote:

I concur.

Another illusion shattered. I honestly believed you were a musician.

He just might be able to fart pitch perfectly, you never know.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

awavey

Postby awavey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 20:33 pm

how you make cheddar cheese, and Id accept its the quality or rather lack of it, that doesnt melt properly and ends up as some weird plasticised crunchy devoid of moisture version

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Sep 13, 2019 20:47 pm

awavey wrote:how you make cheddar cheese, and Id accept its the quality or rather lack of it, that doesnt melt properly and ends up as some weird plasticised crunchy devoid of moisture version

Also, why does the ready grated stuff not melt as well as when you grate it yourself (even when it's the same make)?

awavey

Postby awavey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 21:23 pm

Pross wrote:
awavey wrote:how you make cheddar cheese, and Id accept its the quality or rather lack of it, that doesnt melt properly and ends up as some weird plasticised crunchy devoid of moisture version

Also, why does the ready grated stuff not melt as well as when you grate it yourself (even when it's the same make)?

I used to think that was because I was always using it to put on lasagne that I hadnt properly prepared for cooking so it was sucking all the moisture out to rehydrate and thats why it went a bit weird...now I think its just because I buy rubbish quality cheese :lol: but this is the first time Ive ever bought a block of cheese that behaved like that

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 21:30 pm

Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

awavey

Postby awavey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 23:28 pm

orraloon wrote:Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

I used to feel the same way, would religiously end up always scraping some flesh off my knuckles grating a bit of cheese block thinking how better I was for not buying grated cheese for doing it :)

and then one day, my resistance just crumbled like a good bit of proper cheddar does, maybe I was in rush or Id run out of cheese blocks,or it was on offer and slightly cheaper by weight, I cant remember, but when I used it it was one of those wtf have I been wasting all my time grating cheese before moments, it does the same job but actually better...you just have to remember to avoid the cheap cheese versions else its not so good :lol:

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Sep 14, 2019 07:16 am

Raised an intriguing point.
If you grated your own cheese, how long would you keep it for?
How long does pre grated cheese keep for? I'd guess much longer. Why?
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Bondurant

Postby Bondurant » Sat Sep 14, 2019 07:47 am

People who put cheddar on lasagne

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Sep 14, 2019 08:41 am

orraloon wrote:Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

It's sometimes on offer at a cheaper price per 100g than non-grated so why pay more and then spend time grating it?

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Sep 14, 2019 09:33 am

What is the point of a roof tent? I guess they make sense if you're touring around and staying in car parks overnight but I saw a car leaving a proper campsite earlier. The only times I've seen them they've been in campsites with large pitches including one that was pitched up on the same site as me for at least a week last year.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 14, 2019 16:49 pm

Pross wrote:

It's sometimes on offer at a cheaper price per 100g than non-grated so why pay more and then spend time grating it?

currently 250g of grated cheese 2 for £3 - 220g non-grated is £1.55 no offer.

I would suggest buying grated and melting it back into a block.
PBlakeney wrote:Raised an intriguing point.

why would there be any difference? unless you are comparing unopened grated cheese with cheese you have grated yourself which is exactly the same as opening a block of cheese and wondering why the unopened one lasts longer.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:00 pm

Chris Bass wrote:
Pross wrote:

why would there be any difference? unless you are comparing unopened grated cheese with cheese you have grated yourself which is exactly the same as opening a block of cheese and wondering why the unopened one lasts longer.

I took a look at a packet of grated cheese and apparently it contains potato starch. Might explain why it melts differently and could possibly change how long it keeps for.

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:04 pm

Pre packed grated cheese has potato starch added, I presume to stop it sticking together in the bag.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:38 pm

when i was younger i knew the pinnacle of my saturday afternoons/evenings would becoming discussing cheese, grated cheese and it's additives!

Sandyballs

Postby Sandyballs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:40 pm

Chris Bass wrote:when i was younger i knew the pinnacle of my saturday afternoons/evenings would becoming discussing cheese, grated cheese and it's additives!

Grate Expectations.

I’ll get my coat......

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Sep 14, 2019 19:20 pm

Pross wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:
Pross wrote:

I took a look at a packet of grated cheese and apparently it contains potato starch. Might explain why it melts differently and could possibly change how long it keeps for.

My wife (inexplicably) bought some grated Parmesan.
Contents - Dried cheese and preservatives.
Storage - Out of date February 2020. Once opened store in a cool dark place. Do NOT refrigerate. (No note of use within x days once opened).
I am sceptical.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Return to “The Cake Stop”