Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Pinno

Re: Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Postby Pinno » Wed Aug 21, 2019 21:09 pm

Sandyballs wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:
hopkinb wrote:All the cowshyte, yokelry, curtain twitching and incest gets on my nerves after a while. As does the monotony and monoculture. :wink:

The incest is not compulsory, but if your family is into that sort of thing...
Best you stop if it gets on your nerve and it's not for me though. :wink:

Incest.. it’s a pain in the ars* with 7 brothers!

I’ll get my coat.

:D
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sun Aug 25, 2019 18:14 pm

Almost all adverts - not whether they work or influence people's behaviour or not (spoiler - they do!) but just how terribly bad they are!

I should caveat this by saying I rarely watch TV so most adverts arrive at my via the radio and in particular Talksport/talkradio. The standard is so so bad that it is more likely to make me avoid their products than use them. Having said that, i maynot be their target audience - 90% are for builders' stockists or gambling, neither of which i have ever needed/used.There is a just eat one that almost makes me want to turn the radio off.

Are they intentionally bad to make you remember them? remember it was for just eat, for example, but it was more likely to make me want to vomit than to eat anything!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Sun Aug 25, 2019 20:23 pm

Chris Bass wrote:Almost all adverts - not whether they work or influence people's behaviour or not (spoiler - they do!) but just how terribly bad they are!

I should caveat this by saying I rarely watch TV so most adverts arrive at my via the radio and in particular Talksport/talkradio. The standard is so so bad that it is more likely to make me avoid their products than use them. Having said that, i maynot be their target audience - 90% are for builders' stockists or gambling, neither of which i have ever needed/used.There is a just eat one that almost makes me want to turn the radio off.

Are they intentionally bad to make you remember them? remember it was for just eat, for example, but it was more likely to make me want to vomit than to eat anything!

I think that the quality of TV ads has diminished.
W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Aug 27, 2019 07:30 am

Seeing adverts recently for coffee bags, how do you get your coffee the right strength from a bag as it won't brew like tea? I assume you just buy them in the strength required.

Also, why does a company think now is the time to start pushing coffee bags when there is so much publicity around waste and there has been a resurgence in loose leaf tea? I only recently found out that most tea bags contain plastic so don't know if that's the case for coffee bags too.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

25 degrees
clear blue skies
completely dry roads
utterly lovely overall

clubbie in full clubbie kit on crappy winter bike with full mudguards.

#saveitforbest.oh.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

awavey

Postby awavey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 am

filled a washing up bowl with hot water, heard a noise which didnt think much of at first, picked up the glass tumbler that was in the bowl to wash and found the base of it had literally just seperated cleanly and fallen off and I was just now holding a glass tube in my hand.

completely smooth break too, dont think the glass had been knocked or damaged previously

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:47 am

we've seen that happen a few times with pint glasses - when they are stored stacked in each the inner glass presses down and can create a pressure fissure within the glass - cold to hot expansion by putting it in the boiling water will cause this fissure to expand and split the glass.

bizarrely this stops affecting you when you have staff to do your washing up.

#domestics

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 am

awavey wrote:filled a washing up bowl with hot water, heard a noise which didnt think much of at first, picked up the glass tumbler that was in the bowl to wash and found the base of it had literally just seperated cleanly and fallen off and I was just now holding a glass tube in my hand.

completely smooth break too, dont think the glass had been knocked or damaged previously

turn the glass cycinder into a really cool theatre style monocular and insist on using it when driving down busy motorways as it helps you.

#moderndrivingaids

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 13:43 pm

Queueing to board bus after hospital eye clinic sesh back to station for train home, old fella gets in dispute with driver over how much his fare is supposed to be, prob a miscommunication over destination, but old grump is getting a proper strop on. Must have been in his 80s, didn't look the sharpest, laden with plastic bags full of stuff...coming from a hospital...?

Anyway, intrigued as to why he was arguing about his fare. Free bus passes? Poss too thick to bother applying for his, just the 15 or more years of giving away his money.

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Aug 30, 2019 13:49 pm

Ignore!! Completely wrong part of the forum let alone thread.

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Fri Aug 30, 2019 14:57 pm

REmoving Chrome from my PC and using Firefox. All the problems have gone away! :D

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Aug 30, 2019 22:37 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:we've seen that happen a few times with pint glasses - when they are stored stacked in each the inner glass presses down and can create a pressure fissure within the glass - cold to hot expansion by putting it in the boiling water will cause this fissure to expand and split the glass.

#domestics

Cool a glass bottle in the fridge, then pour very hot oil into it up to the point where you want the split to occur.

Make interesting drinking vessels.
W - Wiggle Honda

orraloon

Postby orraloon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 22:55 pm

Ok, last one for tonight. Final glass then bed...

Right. You got big girls. You know. Big. Walking through Oxford today, is warm,is sunny. Lots of eye candy. Put it out there, get it looked at...

However. One blonde white girl walked past me, full on happy, smiled back at me, no worries, all sound. But jeez, the size of those white thighs below the skimpiest black shorts... Really?

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Aug 30, 2019 23:06 pm

orraloon wrote:However. One blonde white girl walked past me, full on happy, smiled back at me, no worries, all sound. But jeez, the size of those white thighs below the skimpiest black shorts... Really?

Since when did you start being fussy?!! ffs. :roll:

Actually... are you in a position to be fussy?
W - Wiggle Honda

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Aug 31, 2019 13:22 pm

Why is it that I can do a warm up for a race (running) at a really gentle pace and my legs feel tired and really not up to anything but as soon as the gun goes I can run at a pace 2 minutes per mile faster and everything feels relatively easy (for the first 2/3rds of the race anyway)?

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:39 pm

Pinno wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:we've seen that happen a few times with pint glasses - when they are stored stacked in each the inner glass presses down and can create a pressure fissure within the glass - cold to hot expansion by putting it in the boiling water will cause this fissure to expand and split the glass.

#domestics

Cool a glass bottle in the fridge, then pour very hot oil into it up to the point where you want the split to occur.

seriously? or is doing this going to make the bottle shatter and blind us all?

#notoverlyconvinced

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Sat Aug 31, 2019 20:09 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
Pinno wrote:

#domestics

seriously? or is doing this going to make the bottle shatter and blind us all?

#notoverlyconvinced

Try it. Some glass breaks clean, others don't break at all and some shatter. Wear goggles. Use a metal funnel. Do it in your shed.
W - Wiggle Honda

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon Sep 02, 2019 08:06 am

Matthewfalle wrote:25 degrees
clear blue skies
completely dry roads
utterly lovely overall

clubbie in full clubbie kit on crappy winter bike with full mudguards.

#saveitforbest.oh.

Not necessarily intrigue-worthy surely? Hops on summer bike to head out and gear cable snaps; hurriedly digs winter bike out.

#sometimescraphappens.........
Faster than a tent.......

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 08:20 am

Pross wrote:Why is it that I can do a warm up for a race (running) at a really gentle pace and my legs feel tired and really not up to anything but as soon as the gun goes I can run at a pace 2 minutes per mile faster and everything feels relatively easy (for the first 2/3rds of the race anyway)?

Similar on the bike - you feel completely knackered, get on the bike & start pedaling - still feeling crap - then get a plethora of PBs* on the way home ...

*well - not any more, because generally I'm slower than I was a few years ago - but, YPBs anyway (yearly PBs ... )

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 02, 2019 08:55 am

Slowbike wrote:
Pross wrote:Why is it that I can do a warm up for a race (running) at a really gentle pace and my legs feel tired and really not up to anything but as soon as the gun goes I can run at a pace 2 minutes per mile faster and everything feels relatively easy (for the first 2/3rds of the race anyway)?

Similar on the bike - you feel completely knackered, get on the bike & start pedaling - still feeling crap - then get a plethora of PBs* on the way home ...

*well - not any more, because generally I'm slower than I was a few years ago - but, YPBs anyway (yearly PBs ... )

tail winds are great aren't they :D
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Return to “The Cake Stop”