Electric Shavers..........

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
meanredspider

Re: Electric Shavers..........

Postby meanredspider » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm

I used to be Quality Director for Philips Personal Care (a few of you might still have epilators from my raffle) and I’d recommend a mid-range Philips shaver. Basically the same cutting tech as the more expensive machines but without the bells and whistles. And, for those of you who insist on a wet face (fork knows why - hair grows - and a Philips razor is far kinder to your face) you can shave in the shower. The blades are still ground by the same machine that they’ve had for the last 50 years because they can’t find better).

Never pay more than half price.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 pm

meanredspider wrote:And, for those of you who insist on a wet face (fork knows why - hair grows - and a Philips razor is far kinder to your face) you can shave in the shower.

I have to disagree with that. I was recommended to use an electric shaver while going through a period of bad ingrowing hairs. I got a Phillips which I only used for about a month before binning it. Never again...
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

ayjaycee

Postby ayjaycee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 13:54 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D

Don't forget the mythical 'Digital Motor'!
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

ayjaycee

Postby ayjaycee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 13:56 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:Pair of goggles and a cigarette lighter. Much quicker and more effective than any of the above.

Why not just live dangerously and bin the goggles?
Kinesis Racelight 4S

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 15:28 pm

ayjaycee wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D

Dyson vacuum cleaners and their patent pending always annoyed me. Back then when they first came out I had a slight involvement in our company's patent process. I knew enough to say without doubt that the technology behind their vacuum cleaners was my innovative or novel enough to meet patent approval. I was also confident that their patent lawyers knew that too as did their management. It was cynical abuse of the patent process IMHO.

Then my first degree shortly before that I was taught the theory behind cyclone based filtration in various media both air and liquids. We were taught the engineering / science behind it especially how to b calculate the design parameters of the equipment to filter out the required faction of the particles. It was used in mineral extraction / concentration for probably +100 years before Dyson.

Overall it has taken me until this year to let it go and allow a Dyson in our house. I don't like the idea of them taking me for a mug over it.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 15:30 pm

There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.

Vino'sGhost

Postby Vino'sGhost » Thu Dec 06, 2018 16:19 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:
ayjaycee wrote:

Dyson vacuum cleaners and their patent pending always annoyed me. Back then when they first came out I had a slight involvement in our company's patent process. I knew enough to say without doubt that the technology behind their vacuum cleaners was my innovative or novel enough to meet patent approval. I was also confident that their patent lawyers knew that too as did their management. It was cynical abuse of the patent process IMHO.

Then my first degree shortly before that I was taught the theory behind cyclone based filtration in various media both air and liquids. We were taught the engineering / science behind it especially how to b calculate the design parameters of the equipment to filter out the required faction of the particles. It was used in mineral extraction / concentration for probably +100 years before Dyson.

Overall it has taken me until this year to let it go and allow a Dyson in our house. I don't like the idea of them taking me for a mug over it.

I had an interview there once, I've never met a more arrogant tosser in my life what was even more bizarre was that he was badly educated and talking condescendingly about how important a good level of education was. (I've got a masters degree in Law, i can only assume he didnt read the CV or that if he did, he didn't have the education to identify the qualification.

I wont buy or have anyone buy any Dyson product after that. Though they do have a cool harrier infront of the office that i may have actually worked on.

Vino'sGhost

Postby Vino'sGhost » Thu Dec 06, 2018 16:20 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.

I love a good ear hair flaming. Makes me feel ten years younger :)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 16:39 pm

Vino'sGhost wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.

I love a good ear hair flaming. Makes me feel ten years younger :)

A good shave gives me ten years back apparently. If I got my hair dyed too I might get 15 years back!

Fat chance!

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 17:31 pm

I've always used a Philips electric shaver, have had no problems but then I'm not particularly dark. I can go 3 days without shaving and you still can't see anything except a bit of bum fluff. Would take me a lifetime to grow a beard and even then I'd look like shaggy from Scooby doo.

Lucky me!
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

ayjaycee

Postby ayjaycee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 17:43 pm

Tangled Metal wrote:If I got my hair dyed too I might get 15 years back!

Fat chance!

Alternatively, as they usually do, you might just look like a bloke who has given into vanity and had his hair dyed. That said, I'm not sure why I would say that about a male but not a female!
Kinesis Racelight 4S

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Dec 06, 2018 18:23 pm

ayjaycee wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:Pair of goggles and a cigarette lighter. Much quicker and more effective than any of the above.

Why not just live dangerously and bin the goggles?

Eyebrows and lashes.....

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 18:37 pm

Vino'sGhost wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
ayjaycee wrote:

I had an interview there once, I've never met a more arrogant tosser in my life what was even more bizarre was that he was badly educated and talking condescendingly about how important a good level of education was. (I've got a masters degree in Law, i can only assume he didnt read the CV or that if he did, he didn't have the education to identify the qualification.

I wont buy or have anyone buy any Dyson product after that. Though they do have a cool harrier infront of the office that i may have actually worked on.

Dysons are rubbish I removed the one from the crib because it was so rubbish and replaced it with the king of vacuums, a red Henry.

The dyson lives in the garage in Cobweb Corner.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:03 am

Matthewfalle wrote:Dysons are rubbish I removed the one from the crib because it was so rubbish and replaced it with the king of vacuums, a red Henry.

The dyson lives in the garage in Cobweb Corner.

Did the same, the filters used to block up really quickly and the cleaner would just stop working. We'd had a cheap Vax before that which lasted years and have since gone to the Henry which is indestructible - there's a reason they get used by commercial cleaners, hotels etc.

Tyke999

Postby Tyke999 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 20:19 pm

I hate shaving..full stop. face and legs.

I wax/epilate my legs weekly otherwise I look like I'm wearing full length hairy socks...Been doing this for a few years now and the grow back is not as thick.....

going for laser on face and legs in the new year but have been recommended to buy an IPL hair removal system in the interim...

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Dec 07, 2018 20:36 pm

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 13:44 pm

Was waiting for someone to mention Veet for Men .............

Arthur Scrimshaw

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Wed Dec 12, 2018 13:50 pm

cooldad wrote:I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Cost about £40 for a razor, soap, brush and starter set of 8 different types of blades (5 each, 40 total), more than a years supply.

A years supply of blades (Gillette) costs about £10 a year, soap about £12, shaves like a dream. After a little practice.

Electric razors are sh1t.

Agreed, I've still got my electric razor and use it occasionally to remind myself how much better a double edged wet shave feels.

Tyke999

Postby Tyke999 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 23:33 pm

Kingstonian wrote:Was waiting for someone to mention Veet for Men .............

tried it...crap...lasts about two days, burns like hell and you smell of cat wee-wee !!

kafkathedog

Postby kafkathedog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 09:55 am

meanredspider wrote:I used to be Quality Director for Philips Personal Care (a few of you might still have epilators from my raffle) and I’d recommend a mid-range Philips shaver. Basically the same cutting tech as the more expensive machines but without the bells and whistles. And, for those of you who insist on a wet face (fork knows why - hair grows - and a Philips razor is far kinder to your face) you can shave in the shower. The blades are still ground by the same machine that they’ve had for the last 50 years because they can’t find better).

Never pay more than half price.

What about the flexible head vs fixed head, any real benefit?

Return to “The Cake Stop”