Electric Shavers..........

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
SoloSuperia

Electric Shavers..........

Postby SoloSuperia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:29 pm

I have always wet shaved, but as I've grown older my beard doesn't seem to grow at the same rate as it used to, also sems a bit sparser.
So I am considering using an electric razor, on top of that I am confused by the range available £20 to £270 your thoughts please Pros and Cons on the various models available.
I am not to fussed about the price if it can be justified...
Thanks

sam anon

Re: Electric Shavers..........

Postby sam anon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 17:24 pm

Don't buy a Braun one...!

I think it's cheaper to make a waterproof one than one with decent blades that'll go through a coarse dry beard.

I've given up and use a comb and scissors. Would recommend a decent simple trade one over a bells and whistles consumer model.

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 19:11 pm

I haven't wet shaved since 2010, a good decision.

I have two sets of clippers. One set by Babyliss, rechargeable at the mains for when I've let things get a bit out of hand. And battery powered by Wahl - neater but not as powerful.

Both cost about £20. You don't need to spend much money. I've had the Babyliss since making the decision to throw the Gillettes in the bin.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Zendog1

Postby Zendog1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 19:30 pm

I had to use an electric shaver last year after an operation.

Hated it compared to wet and went straight back when I was able.

So maybe borrow an electric one and try it first?

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 19:33 pm

Don't go too cheap - I have a £20 battery powered Philips one I use in the field and all it seems to do is push my manly stubble around my face before ripping my neck to shreds and leaving me looking like a homeless dude.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

SJH76

Postby SJH76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 20:38 pm

sam anon wrote:Don't buy a Braun one...!

Agree on this. My brother had one a few years back and the foil that covers the blades snapped and left a very jagged piece of metal which, had he been using it at the time, would have sliced his face open. After that I was always terrified of using one. Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 20:50 pm

SJH76 wrote:Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.

Not understanding this thought process. Whatever system you choose it will still be blades cutting hair. If a razor goes blunt, so does an electric shaver.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Mon Dec 03, 2018 21:07 pm

Don't buy Philips rotary shavers, their blades are held in flimsy plastic and break IME.

SJH76

Postby SJH76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 21:22 pm

PBlakeney wrote:
SJH76 wrote:Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.

Not understanding this thought process. Whatever system you choose it will still be blades cutting hair. If a razor goes blunt, so does an electric shaver.

I mean they blunt quicker than I would expect them to. If over a year say, they cost about the same as wet shaving then I see little point imo.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 21:58 pm

I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Cost about £40 for a razor, soap, brush and starter set of 8 different types of blades (5 each, 40 total), more than a years supply.

A years supply of blades (Gillette) costs about £10 a year, soap about £12, shaves like a dream. After a little practice.

Electric razors are sh1t.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 22:15 pm

SJH76 wrote:
PBlakeney wrote:

I mean they blunt quicker than I would expect them to. If over a year say, they cost about the same as wet shaving then I see little point imo.

That I do understand.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 22:17 pm

cooldad wrote:I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Cost about £40 for a razor, soap, brush and starter set of 8 different types of blades (5 each, 40 total), more than a years supply.

A years supply of blades (Gillette) costs about £10 a year, soap about £12, shaves like a dream. After a little practice.

Once I had decided on my favourite blades I got 500 blades for £25. That's about 20 years supply.
Kind of puts it into perspective.

diamonddog

Postby diamonddog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 08:02 am

I have had Braun, Philips, cheap and expensive electric razors, all are crap IME.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 08:11 am

I've used Braun for many years (about 30!), just switched to a Philips Series 9000 as I think my skin has changed somehow in recent years - could only get a decent shave wet with the Braun. The Philips needs a different technique, but I'm getting used to it, and it does seem to be better than I was achieving with the Braun.

Someone commented on the foil breaking with Braun - I've only ever had that when I've left it far too long before changing it. It does wear over time and the metal starts to crack and disintegrate eventually. You get to recognise that very different 'blade abrading skin' feeling and stop immediately! If it was newish and broke, that's extremely unusual.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 08:23 am

PBlakeney wrote:
cooldad wrote:I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Once I had decided on my favourite blades I got 500 blades for £25. That's about 20 years supply.
Kind of puts it into perspective.

this.

i use double sided safety blades, about £7 for 100 from Amazon.

job jobbed.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

ayjaycee

Postby ayjaycee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 07:54 am

Over the years, I seem to have used almost every one of those electric shavers in the £20 - 270 price range (mains, battery and rechargeable) with varying degrees of lack of success and have always gone back to wet and have used disposables for as long as I can remember. I guess at some point I must have used the old 'double sided safety' but can't remember doing so as it was so long ago. However, I've been getting increasingly peed off with the price of my favoured Gillette Fusion blades and a while ago tried the Lidl version which just were't as good. By coincidence, I'm now thinking of trying the old fashioned safety razor and might just get Mrs AJC to buy me a nice one for Christmas. Also, I haven't used shaving soap (or the canned stuff) since I discovered oil. Like MF, I've spent a lot of time in the field and that's when a tiny bottle of oil really really came into it's own.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Dec 06, 2018 08:15 am

Pair of goggles and a cigarette lighter. Much quicker and more effective than any of the above.

Dinyull

Postby Dinyull » Thu Dec 06, 2018 09:47 am

I have a fairly cheap Phillips jobbie and have been happily using it for 6+ years.

I only have to shave once a week though and not particularly bothered about a "close" shave. If you have to shave more often and are after a smooth as a baby's ar$e effect then I don't think it's for you*.

*unless there are better shavers out there?!

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

Same here. I've tried going to electric on several occasions hoping it would be quicker and that newer electrics might be better but find them all crap and end up with a rash and ingrowing hairs. Double edged gives a lovely close shave and is so cheap.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D

Return to “The Cake Stop”