World Cup 2018

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
joe2008

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby joe2008 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 18:39 pm

Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:England were actually dier. If they’d had a hard group, they wouldn’t have made it out. Same old England, different day.

That is very harsh, England did as expected against who they played, no more no less. They made the most of a favourable draw and some "bigger" teams going out early.

Which teams at a similar level to England did better?

Belgium. They belted us twice.

No, Belgium have two world class midfielders, we haven't.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 18:40 pm

Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:England were actually dier. If they’d had a hard group, they wouldn’t have made it out. Same old England, different day.

That is very harsh, England did as expected against who they played, no more no less. They made the most of a favourable draw and some "bigger" teams going out early.

Our Waterloo :(

Milemuncher1

Postby Milemuncher1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 18:40 pm

joe2008 wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

No, Belgium have two world class midfielders, we haven't.

True.

Milemuncher1

Postby Milemuncher1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 18:40 pm

Robert88 wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

Our Waterloo :(

It seems that way.

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 19:05 pm

Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

Good to see that your ability to always be wrong transcends sports.

Have you been triple counting Belgium’s goals?

Milemuncher1

Postby Milemuncher1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 19:46 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

You’re a knob. 2-0 is a belting, what sort of clueless knob are you?

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 19:58 pm

Milemuncher1 wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Milemuncher1 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

You’re a knob. 2-0 is a belting, what sort of clueless knob are you?

Your ability to write English suggests a reasonable level of intelligence so you either deliberately write the opposite of what is correct or you have a mental illness.

Either way it is something of a relief to be considered a clueless knob.

Find me one other person in the world who considers 1-0 to be a belting

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 20:35 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:Find me one other person in the world who considers 1-0 to be a belting

I would say that the first game counts. The Belgian manager said the first objective was to not win the the game for the easier draw. They couldn't manage to lose while trying.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 06:31 am

Surrey Commuter wrote:Good to see that your ability to always be wrong transcends sports.

Do you mind not splitting your infinitives like that? Please. It lets us down in front of our Russian friend.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Jul 17, 2018 07:49 am

PBlakeney wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:Find me one other person in the world who considers 1-0 to be a belting

I would say that the first game counts. The Belgian manager said the first objective was to not win the the game for the easier draw. They couldn't manage to lose while trying.

If he really wanted to lose he'd have started Mignolet
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 08:45 am

Robert88 wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:Good to see that your ability to always be wrong transcends sports.

Do you mind not splitting your infinitives like that? Please. It lets us down in front of our Russian friend.

Bizarrely that is the only thing about English that I know because of Capt James T. Kirk unforgivable “boldly going”

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 am

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

Bizarrely that is the only thing about English that I know because of Capt James T. Kirk unforgivable “boldly going”

Split infinitives have been around since at least the 13th century. Daniel Defoe, Benjamin Franklin, William Wordsworth, Abraham Lincoln, George Eliot, Henry James, and Willa Cather are among the writers who used them. Keep on splitting, I say.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Milemuncher1

Postby Milemuncher1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

Robert88 wrote:

Aww leave him alone. He’s obviously a bit ‘special’. It’s wicked to mock the afflicted.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

Quite a few Liverpool supporters would, after they have won a game 1-0.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Milemuncher1 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

Aww leave him alone. He’s obviously a bit ‘special’. It’s wicked to mock the afflicted.

Careful Walt, you may stray off the reservation

Return to “The Cake Stop”