Join the Labour Party and save your country!

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Rolf F

Re: Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Yeah sure, of course; though if the private shareholders are making outsized returns....but anyway, the care industry is a whole other can of worms. My own experience is quite eye opening, to say the least.

On a tangent; how many people do you think made more money on paper through their house price increasing than they did working? I don't know the answer.

I was thinking more of tesco and Macdonalds being subsidised by the state.

Most people's houses will reflect their earnings so I would think people making more on their house price increase will be the exception.

A stat I saw the other day was that house prices are 8 times people's earnings which sounds about right.

Ahhh, I remember the good old days when a mortgage was 3.5 times your earnings.

still is - there is a lot of equity being recycled

Ahhh, I remember the good old days when a mortgage was 3.5 times your earnings plus a 10 percent deposit.

Not sure that has changed much either. Person buys flat for £130K in 2003 having borrowed £117K. 5 years later they have paid off £15K of borrowing and sell for £170K. They now have a £68K deposit to buy a small 2-bed house for £200K, borrowing the other £132K, and their salary only needs to have risen by £5K in that period.

Indeed, and aren't we lucky who bought houses around then (eg me). I remember those days which was my point. Which is also that I have a middle class job and live in a middle class house that I purchased on my own and now own outright.

I then watched as people following behind me achieved the same only with working class houses (back to backs on the edge of the city centre) and then couldn't achieve it all without dual incomes or parental contributions or silly contrived means to purchase things.

I live in a house that even the Chief Exec of my organisation would struggle to buy on their salary as a first time buyer. That is nuts.
Faster than a tent.......

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Mon Sep 16, 2019 08:56 am

At the height of prices my house was 3x what I paid for it around 2000. I still have one huge regret. I bought in an area I wanted to live not where other people wanted to live. That means I missed out becoming mortgage free after 2 years of home ownership!

I'll explain, house prices tripled in my area over 4 or 5 years. In the neighbouring city these happened in 18 months to 2 years. One house I looked at for the same money as my house sold again after 2 years for enough money to clear my mortgage, buy a better house than mine on my very street and still have change for solicitor/estate agent fees and other moving expenses. It pays to live up north which was probably a decade plus behind the south in price rises. Where I live it happened about 4 years behind a city 40 minutes drive south.

Still can't complain.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:32 pm

Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Just going to abolish the Deputy Leader role to get rid of Tom Watson then they're getting straight on it.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:13 pm

TailWindHome wrote:Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Just going to abolish the Deputy Leader role to get rid of Tom Watson then they're getting straight on it.

Maybe that GE projection is accurate.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:55 pm

rjsterry wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Maybe that GE projection is accurate.

Let's hope so.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 06:57 am

Tangled Metal wrote:At the height of prices my house was 3x what I paid for it around 2000. I still have one huge regret. I bought in an area I wanted to live not where other people wanted to live. That means I missed out becoming mortgage free after 2 years of home ownership!

I'll explain, house prices tripled in my area over 4 or 5 years. In the neighbouring city these happened in 18 months to 2 years. One house I looked at for the same money as my house sold again after 2 years for enough money to clear my mortgage, buy a better house than mine on my very street and still have change for solicitor/estate agent fees and other moving expenses. It pays to live up north which was probably a decade plus behind the south in price rises. Where I live it happened about 4 years behind a city 40 minutes drive south.

Still can't complain.

Have always bought houses within a tolerable cycling distance of work or done jobs near to home.

Hate car commuting.

Now I live in the best part of town thanks to that. Would never want to live out in the sticks.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Sat Sep 21, 2019 07:40 am

Robert88 wrote:Now I live in the best part of town thanks to that. Would never want to live out in the sticks.

I now live out in the sticks thanks to that. Much better cycling. Would never want to live in town. :wink:
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Coopster the 1st

Postby Coopster the 1st » Sat Sep 21, 2019 08:42 am

I must congratulate you Stevo as your £3 contribution keeps on giving. Now it is looking like the party is going to destroy itself from the inside with the proper loonies on another power grab
Fair-weather commuter
Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 in Black - WOW :)
Giant Defy 2 - FCN 4(summer) / 5(winter) - Great bike
Hybrid - FCN 8 - Relegated to the pub bike

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 08:45 am

Robert88 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:At the height of prices my house was 3x what I paid for it around 2000. I still have one huge regret. I bought in an area I wanted to live not where other people wanted to live. That means I missed out becoming mortgage free after 2 years of home ownership!

Still can't complain.

Have always bought houses within a tolerable cycling distance of work or done jobs near to home.

Hate car commuting.

Now I live in the best part of town thanks to that. Would never want to live out in the sticks.

Funny part of town where peoples houses have lower meadows like yours :wink:
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 08:55 am

Coopster the 1st wrote:I must congratulate you Stevo as your £3 contribution keeps on giving. Now it is looking like the party is going to destroy itself from the inside with the proper loonies on another power grab

Like I said, its the best £3 I ever spent. The thread was started as a bit a laugh but the response from some was priceless :)

As for New Old Labour, the loonies took over the asylum quite a while ago; all they're doing now is dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 09:13 am

As a registered supporter I get a few emails from Labour. Here's today's effort, which strangely omits the bid to oust Tom Watson.

And they're ready for a general election which they've just bottled out of :)

"It's that time again – join us this week for Annual Conference 2019!

Stevo, thousands of us have just hit Brighton for a week of inspiring speeches, radical policies, and powerful ideas. We're ready to lay out Labour's transformative agenda so we can hit the ground running for the coming General Election.

With the government on its knees, at this year's conference we're gearing up for a once-in-a-generation chance for real change for our country.

This could be the election to rival 1945. And we're ready.

Labour is already pushing the boundaries with policies to reverse austerity, redistribute wealth and power and seriously tackle the climate crisis. But at Conference, it's time to think even bigger! Get ready for more incredible policies and groundbreaking new plans to build a Britain where people matter more than privilege.

Here's what's coming up today...

Your Saturday highlights
Conference starts at 2.30pm – don't miss it!
At 3.30pm, join Dawn Butler for a BIG announcement
Just joined Labour? At 5.30pm the New Members event promises to kick things off in style!
Here at Conference, thousands of excited and enthusiastic Labour supporters have gathered together. If you're lucky enough to be in Brighton, we have an incredible programme of radical ideas, with hundreds of fringe events, speeches and opportunities to engage with others like you fighting for a better world. And if you're not, don't worry!

Join us and keep up with our party's transformational agenda taking shape, developed by the many for the many.
Dive into the Annual Conference 2019 minisite
Conference 2019 is Labour at its best. At its most vibrant. Labour debating, Labour organising – Labour drawing on the power of the many to put people before privilege.

And you've got a front row seat. Let's get started!

In solidarity,

Team Labour"
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

Still can't complain.

Hate car commuting.

So what sort of house do you live in? I guess it must be on a housing estate?

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 13:54 pm

Robert88 wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

Still can't complain.

Hate car commuting.

So what sort of house do you live in? I guess it must be on a housing estate?

Just a normal one in the London 'burbs/edge of Kent. Nice enough place, but only room for a small meadow even if I wanted one :)
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 15:42 pm

According to Tom Watson, what happened today at the Labour party conference where there was an attempt to oust him is like what happens in Venezuela. You're not far wrong there, Tom :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49781152
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Sep 21, 2019 19:31 pm

Labour should be killing the Tories in the polls after the last few years but those Momentum idiots seem intent on holding them back and making them unelectable. That said I can't stand Tom Watson, he actually made me feel sympathy for Rupert Murdoch with his showboating at the CMS phone hacking enquiry.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 23:28 pm

Pross wrote:Labour should be killing the Tories in the polls after the last few years but those Momentum idiots seem intent on holding them back and making them unelectable.

Like I said, 3 quid very well spent :)
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 09:37 am

Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

bompington

Postby bompington » Sun Sep 22, 2019 13:26 pm

Yes, good article:
Both the Conservatives and Labour used to be proud to call themselves broad churches, capable of encompassing and speaking for many strands of opinion and they made that central to their appeal to the electorate. Now both are behaving like viciously intolerant sects.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 15:38 pm

bompington wrote:Yes, good article:
Both the Conservatives and Labour used to be proud to call themselves broad churches, capable of encompassing and speaking for many strands of opinion and they made that central to their appeal to the electorate. Now both are behaving like viciously intolerant sects.

Here's a good thread for you:
https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=13100964&start=600
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Pross

Postby Pross » Sun Sep 22, 2019 17:38 pm

Why does Corbyn go for these TV publicity stunts surrounded by young kids? It always feels a bit creepy. Maybe they're the only ones that buy into his policies.

Return to “The Cake Stop”