BREXIT - Meh.

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Rolf F

Re: BREXIT - Ich Bin Auslander

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:12 am

TailWindHome wrote:Image

Shameful. But no surprise. How do we end up putting people in charge of the country who regard it as so inconsequential?
Faster than a tent.......

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:29 am

Johnson is perfect for them. He will promise them an imaginary world that cannot exist, then fail. Let's say 75% of the 160,000 then defect to Farage. Does that change anything at all?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:34 am

So what happens when BoJo is elected and then he is unable to do anything in the two weeks of Parliament before the deadline, and inevitably has to go cap in hand to the EU to ask for an extension?

In what realistic way is this not the only scenario available if he gets elected?

DrHaggis

Postby DrHaggis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:43 am

Rick Chasey wrote:So what happens when BoJo is elected and then he is unable to do anything in the two weeks of Parliament before the deadline, and inevitably has to go cap in hand to the EU to ask for an extension?

In what realistic way is this not the only scenario available if he gets elected?

Well, he could lose an NCV, which, incredibly, isn't too outlandish a claim.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:59 am

DrHaggis wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:So what happens when BoJo is elected and then he is unable to do anything in the two weeks of Parliament before the deadline, and inevitably has to go cap in hand to the EU to ask for an extension?

What are the rules about someone becoming Prime Minister without having a commons majority? Is he automatically PM even though it was Theresa May that was asked to form the government?
my natural exuberance spills out all over the place

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am

DrHaggis wrote:

Which presents the headbangers illustrated in the chart above with a dilemma. Most of the polls show a win for Labour in a GE, but if Johnson, their great hope, has just failed to produce a unicorn from a hat, what are they going to do? A vote for Farage lets Corbyn in, and Farage's economic policies (in as much as there are any) are even more dangerous than McDonnell's.
1980s BSA 10sp

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am

Farage hasn't a single seat in Parliament.
Why are they giving this khunt Oxygen?

Farage will not be PM.
S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

"They put Jesus on a 'x' and then they deaded him" (My daughter, 5yo)
Me: They used to catch Cod that weighed 50kg
Daughter (now 6): How did they get it in the pan?!

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:54 am

I could stomach Brexiteers' arguments when they were trying to make a case that it would benefit the UK. But it's become the end in itself, a religious article of faith, hasn't it? Doesn't matter if everything goes to hell, we must deliver Brexit!

It is funny (in the most depressing possible sense of the word) how they say that only thing that would make them back down on Brexit is the spectre of Corbyn - yet their actions make him increasingly more likely to be PM.

Fools.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Pinno wrote:Farage hasn't a single seat in Parliament.
Why are they giving this khunt Oxygen?

Farage will not be PM.

Because for all his narcissistic populist bilge, he does at the root of it have a point. The Tories promised they would take us out of the EU and they haven't.
1980s BSA 10sp

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 20:23 pm

bompington wrote:

I could stomach Brexiteers' arguments when they were trying to make a case that it would benefit the UK. But it's become the end in itself, a religious article of faith, hasn't it? Doesn't matter if everything goes to hell, we must deliver Brexit!

It is funny (in the most depressing possible sense of the word) how they say that only thing that would make them back down on Brexit is the spectre of Corbyn - yet their actions make him increasingly more likely to be PM.

Fools.

Not me but you will appreciate

Imagine if you travelled through time to the mid-80s and told the Provisional IRA leadership that they could get a united Ireland from the Tories, so long as they guaranteed it would make British people poorer, more isolated and an international laughing stock.

john80

Postby john80 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 08:35 am

The next PM can walk us to No Deal and all that parliament can do is call a no confidence vote in the Government and hope that Tory MP's revolt in sufficient numbers to result in a general election. This I believe is the legal standpoint. Even in this scenario you are relying on the EU agreeing to an extension and if we know anything from prior experience it is likely that this would have some terms attached to it that would guess what be unfavourable. I am not sure those Tory MP's would survive this within their constituencies so it is a question of how committed they are to no Brexit.

I wonder how many times we can say that we are leaving on a date and force companies such as car industries to shut down factories or stock pile parts and then whinge about the loss of production. #Embarassing.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Wed Jun 19, 2019 08:40 am

john80 wrote:The next PM can walk us to No Deal and all that parliament can do is call a no confidence vote in the Government and hope that Tory MP's revolt in sufficient numbers to result in a general election. This I believe is the legal standpoint. Even in this scenario you are relying on the EU agreeing to an extension and if we know anything from prior experience it is likely that this would have some terms attached to it that would guess what be unfavourable. I am not sure those Tory MP's would survive this within their constituencies so it is a question of how committed they are to no Brexit.

I wonder how many times we can say that we are leaving on a date and force companies such as car industries to shut down factories or stock pile parts and then whinge about the loss of production. #Embarassing.

If there is a no confidence vote, and sufficient MPs in the current switch their support to an alternative PM, would there need to be a general election? Can the Queen ask someone else to try to form a government?

If it's about giving control back to the UK Parliament, that would make sense. Then if we don't get an extension, the new government can revoke A50 to avoid a no-deal exit.

Not saying any of that is likely, but surely possible if the chaos builds to sufficient levels of insanity.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Wed Jun 19, 2019 08:44 am

I wonder what the opinion polls would say if there were a direct choice between Brexit and a return to weekly bin collections.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Wed Jun 19, 2019 08:49 am

john80 wrote:The next PM can walk us to No Deal and all that parliament can do is call a no confidence vote in the Government and hope that Tory MP's revolt in sufficient numbers to result in a general election. This I believe is the legal standpoint. Even in this scenario you are relying on the EU agreeing to an extension and if we know anything from prior experience it is likely that this would have some terms attached to it that would guess what be unfavourable. I am not sure those Tory MP's would survive this within their constituencies so it is a question of how committed they are to no Brexit.

What unfavourable terms were attached to the previous two extensions?
1980s BSA 10sp

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Wed Jun 19, 2019 09:02 am

KingstonGraham wrote:I wonder what the opinion polls would say if there were a direct choice between Brexit and a return to weekly bin collections.

Brexit vs bring-back-hanging

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 09:22 am

you just need to continue the thought process... why are we pursuing a policy that results in the car industry shutting down factories and stockpiling parts.

Anyway the car industry seems to be adopting a more long term risk reduction policy.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 09:51 am

Yes, and we don't want to embarrass ourselves in the eyes of the world, do we?

I mean they might think we were stupid.

narbs

Postby narbs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am

KingstonGraham wrote:I wonder what the opinion polls would say if there were a direct choice between Brexit and a return to weekly bin collections.

I remain firmly of the belief that had the UK imposed migration limits on the accession countries in the early 2000s (as other EU members did) and switched to blue passports (never been anything stopping that) we wouldn't be in this mess.

Businesses benefited from being able to fill low-skilled vacancies which UK workers wouldn't or couldn't take up, we all benefited from more care workers and cheaper, skilled tradespeople and successive governments let the EU take the blame when people moaned about immigrants.

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 am

darkhairedlord wrote:

Brexit vs bring-back-hanging

Pretty certain that was one of the reasons for voting Brexit, so the old ideas could be reinstated.
#bloodyEUstoppingusdoingaswewish
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Wed Jun 19, 2019 14:13 pm

narbs wrote:

I remain firmly of the belief that had the UK imposed migration limits on the accession countries in the early 2000s (as other EU members did) and switched to blue passports (never been anything stopping that) we wouldn't be in this mess.

Businesses benefited from being able to fill low-skilled vacancies which UK workers wouldn't or couldn't take up, we all benefited from more care workers and cheaper, skilled tradespeople and successive governments let the EU take the blame when people moaned about immigrants.

I remain firmly convinced people don't really care about the EU. That's my hot take.

Return to “The Cake Stop”