The Irony Thread

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Shortfall

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Shortfall » Wed Feb 28, 2018 17:54 pm

diplodicus wrote:
Shortfall wrote:https://order-order.com/2018/02/27/max-mosley-car-crash-racist-leaflet/

Irony of ironies. Deputy leader of the Labour Party accepting half a million quid in donations from a multi millionaire former Blackshirt who wants to limit the freedom of the press.

Some very "enlightened" comments under that article :shock:

Yeah. Guido doesn't moderate his comments section. On the point about accepting donations from Mosley, apparently Seamus Milne has said that Labour won't take anymore cash from him. However they won't be handing him back the half a million quid they've already trousered. Make of that what you will.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:09 am

Jo Coburn, the presenter of the BBC's Daily Politics, was paid £2,500 by Brent Council to chair two events to "draw interest to the council's budget public consultation" in January 2015.

The council invited "Brent residents and community groups" to attend one of the events "to have their say on where difficult cuts should be made".

Shortfall

Postby Shortfall » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

Ballysmate wrote:Jo Coburn, the presenter of the BBC's Daily Politics, was paid £2,500 by Brent Council to chair two events to "draw interest to the council's budget public consultation" in January 2015.

The council invited "Brent residents and community groups" to attend one of the events "to have their say on where difficult cuts should be made".

Why has she got The Daily Politics gig these days? Andrew Neil is one of our finest broadcasters and stands head and shoulders above most of the politicians he interviews but he appears to have disappeared from the program. Jo Coburn is a pretty poor substitute.

HantsTooFLat

Postby HantsTooFLat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 am

People who offer quite shocking opinion about an entire generation being entitled snowflakes complaining about being called a womble.
“Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 19:55 pm

HantsTooFLat wrote:People who offer quite shocking opinion about an entire generation being entitled snowflakes complaining about being called a womble.

Are you alright hun?

Would you like me to find you a safe space?

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 19:59 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:
HantsTooFLat wrote:People who offer quite shocking opinion about an entire generation being entitled snowflakes complaining about being called a womble.

Are you alright hun?

Keep digging ;)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 20:10 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:

Are you alright hun?

Keep digging ;)

I am channeling my inner Coopster

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 21:10 pm

Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 21:13 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:

Are you alright hun?

He is wiv da angles now.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 22:05 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:

Are you alright hun?

He is wiv da angles now.

Moved to Norfolk?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jul 27, 2018 07:40 am

But are you despairing of the 32% who can't change a fuse (ie use a screwdriver!) or of their parents who failed to spend thirty seconds telling their offspring how to do it?!
Faster than a tent.......

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 08:13 am

Rolf F wrote:

But are you despairing of the 32% who can't change a fuse (ie use a screwdriver!) or of their parents who failed to spend thirty seconds telling their offspring how to do it?!

Exactly, this is mostly down to the parents. I teach my kids how to fix things themselves so I don't have to do it for them, if I'm not around they will look at tutorials on YouTube and work it out that way. Basically they know it's up to them to try and sort things out, it's a parent's responsibility to prepare their children for life.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 08:45 am

Veronese68 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

Exactly, this is mostly down to the parents. I teach my kids how to fix things themselves so I don't have to do it for them, if I'm not around they will look at tutorials on YouTube and work it out that way. Basically they know it's up to them to try and sort things out, it's a parent's responsibility to prepare their children for life.

It's totally this.

I tell my old man i'm out to buy a drill so I can put up my curtains. My mum nags him that why should I spend my money on a drill when he has one; so he comes over with it. Now, since he's put dozens of curtain rails up, guess what, he starts to do it. At that point, it's hard to break that father-son mould and say 'nah i'm gonna do it'.

I've now stopped mentioning what I'm doing in the house so I can get on and do it myself; turns out, despite being crap at anything manual I am actually fairly decent at decorating, for example (not that it's difficult).

If you never do it, you'll never learn.

HantsTooFLat

Postby HantsTooFLat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 09:30 am

Veronese68 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

This, on our expensive phones.
“Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 09:40 am

HantsTooFLat wrote:This, on our expensive phones.

:lol: Or in my daughter's case on the iPad paid for by doting parents.
Rick Chasey wrote:If you never do it, you'll never learn.

Exactly.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

Rolf F wrote:

I don't recall ever getting told how to change a light bulb...it's not that hard to figure out and I'm sure the current generation isn't (much) thicker than we are :)
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

I have just managed to change fluorescent tube without watching a video. I do however need to watch a video that will show you how to avoid knocking the tube out in the first place. Also one that shows you how to keep your garage tidy so you don’t have to spend an hour moving stuff so you can clean up all the glass.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:54 pm

I think it is more to do with things are getting better - although I can, I can't even remember when I had to change a lightbulb last? the eco energy saving ones last for like 10 years. Say goes for a fuse, I know how to do it but can't remember when I last did, aren't most plugs sealed now so you can't open them up anyway?

So it isn't that it is beyond the realms of possibility for under 35s (I am one!) to do these things or learn how to just they haven't yet.

I do build and maintain all my bikes so I may not be entirely representative when it comes to under 35s being practical I suppose!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:05 pm

If they had asked the same over 55s 20 years ago I'm sure there would be different answers. Why would you need to do DIY skills when you don't own a house? As already said, it's not hard to learn is it. Still, something good to moan about for Generation Complain, everything IS getting worse after all

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:38 pm

Chris Bass wrote:I think it is more to do with things are getting better - although I can, I can't even remember when I had to change a lightbulb last? the eco energy saving ones last for like 10 years. Say goes for a fuse, I know how to do it but can't remember when I last did, aren't most plugs sealed now so you can't open them up anyway?

You used to have to open a plug up to access the fuse - now all you need to do is lever the plastic clip out and swap it over. Anyone old enough to be able to read small numbers should be able to do it.

HaydenM wrote:If they had asked the same over 55s 20 years ago I'm sure there would be different answers. Why would you need to do DIY skills when you don't own a house? As already said, it's not hard to learn is it. Still, something good to moan about for Generation Complain, everything IS getting worse after all

What was in the list that Stevo posted wasn't really DIY - basic household maintenance is not DIY and you only need to live somewhere with piped water and electricity to benefit from knowing about it. Even fitting a toilet seat barely scrapes in under that heading though that really is something you can perhaps reasonably expect to not need to do in a lifetime.

It all depends if your preferred approach is to fix a problem now or ring someone up and have them travel across town to do something that takes 30 seconds. I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.
Faster than a tent.......

Return to “The Cake Stop”