The Irony Thread

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Pross

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Pross » Fri Sep 20, 2019 13:35 pm

Is going in fancy dress as someone with different colour skin automatically racist or would you need it to be done in a demeaning way (although from the photos of Trudeau it looked like a comedy attempt which would suggest it could be demeaning)? I'm just thinking if the theme was sporting greats and a white person chose to go as Ali, complete with darkened skin, would that necessarily be racist?

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 13:50 pm

Pross wrote:Is going in fancy dress as someone with different colour skin automatically racist or would you need it to be done in a demeaning way (although from the photos of Trudeau it looked like a comedy attempt which would suggest it could be demeaning)? I'm just thinking if the theme was sporting greats and a white person chose to go as Ali, complete with darkened skin, would that necessarily be racist?

I thought this, a friend of mine once came to 6th form as Obama in full makeup. He wasn't doing a gollywog show or anything, just looked a hell of a lot like Obama.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 14:40 pm

I guess we won't be getting re-runs of 'It ain't half hot, Mum' on Sky Gold any time soon.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Fri Sep 20, 2019 17:59 pm

I am old enough to remember The Black and White Minstrel Show being thought of as the best thing on British TV. And it doesn't seem that long ago. Although it is.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Fri Sep 20, 2019 18:04 pm

PBlakeney wrote:I am old enough to remember The Black and White Minstrel Show being thought of as the best thing on British TV. And it doesn't seem that long ago. Although it is.

If I tell my pupils that this passed for mainstream 'wholesome' family entertainment when I was their age (well, and beyond that), I don't think they can believe/imagine it...

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 18:49 pm

In fairness I can't believe it - I missed the overt racism on TV luckily

I bet if you went back and rewatched tv even from the early 2000s it wouldn't be allowed today or at least frowned upon
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

diplodicus

Postby diplodicus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:57 pm

Pross wrote:Is going in fancy dress as someone with different colour skin automatically racist or would you need it to be done in a demeaning way (although from the photos of Trudeau it looked like a comedy attempt which would suggest it could be demeaning)? I'm just thinking if the theme was sporting greats and a white person chose to go as Ali, complete with darkened skin, would that necessarily be racist?

Discussing this with my daughters yesterday morning. The consensus from them was dressing up as a specific person is acceptable but dressing up as a generic race isn't. Applying skin colouring is not acceptable in either case.

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:02 pm

diplodicus wrote:

Discussing this with my daughters yesterday morning. The consensus from them was dressing up as a specific person is acceptable but dressing up as a generic race isn't. Applying skin colouring is not acceptable in either case.

Oh dear...

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:01 pm

Would this not be allowed either?

Nor this?

Will a host of classic films be deemed no longer suitable for screening?
What a loadabollox!

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:02 pm

diplodicus wrote:Applying skin colouring is not acceptable in either case.

A lot of women who use fake tan might disagree. Unless you don't count Oompah-Loompahs as a race.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:06 pm

Ballysmate wrote:Would this not be allowed either?

Nor this?

Will a host of classic films be deemed no longer suitable for screening?
What a loadabollox!

Or in the world of music...

Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:11 pm

Should I, as a white male, feel affronted that Whacko tried to white up? Or should that be whiteface?
Is the term 'paleface' suitable or is it offensive?

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:17 pm

Ballysmate wrote:Should I, as a white male, feel affronted that Whacko tried to white up? Or should that be whiteface?

Should you, as someone who doesn’t self identify as a thicko, understand and consider the historical context of racism, before making stupid remarks?

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:28 pm

Ballysmate wrote:Should I, as a white male, feel affronted that Whacko tried to white up? Or should that be whiteface?

I wonder whether this guy could be in trouble now?

Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:30 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:

Should you, as someone who doesn’t self identify as a thicko, understand and consider the historical context of racism, before making stupid remarks?

Thicko? That's not a very enlightened expression for a 'woke' person like yourself is it?
Intellectually challenged, if you don't mind, you humourless tw@t.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:53 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:

Whoosh.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:08 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

Whoosh.

Don't worry, I didn't expect everyone to get it.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:35 pm

yeah - i mean white people get it so bad, I dont know what the civil rights movement was making such a fuss about back then - at least they could go to a fancy dress party as whoever they wanted, pffft

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:45 pm

Chris Bass wrote:

yeah - i mean white people get it so bad, I dont know what the civil rights movement was making such a fuss about back then - at least they could go to a fancy dress party as whoever they wanted, pffft

So that's a 'No' then?
Thought not.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 08:56 am

Ballysmate wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

So that's a 'No' then?
Thought not.

You shouldn't do or feel anything as a white male, just as yourself! If you want to be offended or whatever, go for it

Return to “The Cake Stop”