The Irony Thread

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Ballysmate

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 06:22 am

There is a comment btl which seems to sum it up.

What middle-class lefties often forget though is that violent crime disproportionately affects the working class, hence the call for tougher sentences, for example, for carrying a knife from working-class voters. It's all well and good to call it class war when it doesn't affect you.

Perhaps OJ has a greater understanding now.

Shirley Basso

Postby Shirley Basso » Fri Aug 30, 2019 07:26 am

Middle class doing drugs being a victimless crime.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 07:28 am

Ballysmate wrote:There is a comment btl which seems to sum it up.

What middle-class lefties often forget though is that violent crime disproportionately affects the working class, hence the call for tougher sentences, for example, for carrying a knife from working-class voters. It's all well and good to call it class war when it doesn't affect you.

Is there any evidence that 'tougher sentences' (whatever those are) make the slightest difference to crime rates? I don't have much time for Jones and he might be a bit off target with that article, but it's not much of a stretch to suggest that Johnson's 'pledge' - a word that now seems to mean a promise that will not be fulfilled - is just a bit of campaigning aimed at his core vote. It's not even a new commitment: Liz Truss promised the same increase in prison accommodation back when she was justice secretary and it's still just a promise.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 08:29 am

rjsterry wrote:

Is there any evidence that 'tougher sentences' (whatever those are) make the slightest difference to crime rates? I don't have much time for Jones and he might be a bit off target with that article, but it's not much of a stretch to suggest that Johnson's 'pledge' - a word that now seems to mean a promise that will not be fulfilled - is just a bit of campaigning aimed at his core vote. It's not even a new commitment: Liz Truss promised the same increase in prison accommodation back when she was justice secretary and it's still just a promise.

If you're banged up in jail then it's a bit difficult to commit crimes against the public at large. So I would say it does work, unless other criminals commit more crime to keep the average up.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 09:17 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

If you're banged up in jail then it's a bit difficult to commit crimes against the public at large. So I would say it does work, unless other criminals commit more crime to keep the average up.

Your theory has been implemented in the US and shown to be wrong. They lock up far more people for far longer and violent crime rates are still far higher. Criminals need to be caught, tried and convicted before sentencing comes into it. The promise of extra police - which still only gets us back to where we were in 2010 - only addresses the first bit. There is no corresponding pledge for the courts system. Courts sitting empty is already an issue.

The promised expansion of prisons just about keeps up with the existing overcrowding and the last round of sentencing review. Even if it comes to pass - as I say the last promise of expansion is still unfulfilled 5 years later - it won't materially increase capacity for longer sentences.

It's good campaign material but a sentencing review will make no difference to incidence of crime.
Last edited by rjsterry on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980s BSA 10sp

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 09:57 am

Wait. Are you saying he asked for a shoeing?
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 17:19 pm

Ben6899 wrote:

Wait. Are you saying he asked for a shoeing?

I have re read my post several times and if that is what you think I am saying you have totally misunderstood.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 17:23 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

Your theory has been implemented in the US and shown to be wrong. They lock up far more people for far longer and violent crime rates are still far higher. Criminals need to be caught, tried and convicted before sentencing comes into it. The promise of extra police - which still only gets us back to where we were in 2010 - only addresses the first bit. There is no corresponding pledge for the courts system. Courts sitting empty is already an issue.

The promised expansion of prisons just about keeps up with the existing overcrowding and the last round of sentencing review. Even if it comes to pass - as I say the last promise of expansion is still unfulfilled 5 years later - it won't materially increase capacity for longer sentences.

It's good campaign material but a sentencing review will make no difference to incidence of crime.

So how do criminals commit crimes against the general public while they are in prison?
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 19:37 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

So how do criminals commit crimes against the general public while they are in prison?

Let's suppose the prisoner has a family. Lock up the breadwinner and you get feral kids.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 20:58 pm

Robert88 wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

Let's suppose the prisoner has a family. Lock up the breadwinner and you get feral kids.

Yeah, people guilty of violent crimes are such good role models.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 21:17 pm

Robert88 wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

So you think people should get a free pass for violent crime because they have kids? Might cause a tiny bit of dysfunctional behaviour.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 07:39 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

So you think people should get a free pass for violent crime because they have kids? Might cause a tiny bit of dysfunctional behaviour.

Prison is not the only way that crime can be punished. It is very archaic.

Maybe we should go down the Chinese route whereby citizenship wins Brownie points and bad behaviour sees them taken away.

In a sense we already do that through credit-scoring, there is an advertisement that explains how it works and if you are low on points you end up living in squalor (probably Sunderland) driving a cr4ppy old Ford Escort instead of maybe a shiny new Jaguar?

Whaddaya say?

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 09:41 am

Robert88 wrote:Prison is not the only way that crime can be punished. It is very archaic.

Maybe we should go down the Chinese route whereby citizenship wins Brownie points and bad behaviour sees them taken away.

In a sense we already do that through credit-scoring, there is an advertisement that explains how it works and if you are low on points you end up living in squalor (probably Sunderland) driving a cr4ppy old Ford Escort instead of maybe a shiny new Jaguar?

Whaddaya say?

Agree that prison is not the only way but where we are talking violent crime and potential risk to the public then it most likely is the most apprpriate way.

As for your idea, the citizenship idea sounds like something that could fit in neatly with Brexit. Mention it to Boris.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

john80

Postby john80 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 14:38 pm

Reducing crime is solved by the carrot and the stick. Do serious crime and you get a long sentence as a punishment. During the sentence we educate and rehabilitate to minimise the reoffending rates. We currently do the stick but the carrot is missing until the hang them and flog them brigade get the picture that this has a long track history of not working.

Sending people to jail for a week is pointless.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Wed Sep 04, 2019 15:06 pm

After 50 years, Blue Mink's song promoting racial harmony is banned for being racist.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blue ... -82kpk7jht

PBlakeney

Postby PBlakeney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 04:17 am

"Returning power to Westminster".
Only for Westminster to shut down.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Fri Sep 20, 2019 07:12 am

The super woke Justin Trudeau being outed as the Al Jolson of politics.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 08:33 am

Ballysmate wrote:The super woke Justin Trudeau being outed as the Al Jolson of politics.

Anyone who had looked into him in any detail knew he was not quite what he seemed.
1980s BSA 10sp

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:34 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Ballysmate wrote:The super woke Justin Trudeau being outed as the Al Jolson of politics.

Anyone who had looked into him in any detail knew he was not quite what he seemed.

In what way? (I haven't paid too much attention to him tbh).

In any event, more than a little embarrassing. Imagine the forum activity this would generate if it was BoJo or Trump.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 13:16 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

In what way? (I haven't paid too much attention to him tbh).

In any event, more than a little embarrassing. Imagine the forum activity this would generate if it was BoJo or Trump.

Saying all the right things about climate change then signing off on tar sands exploitation. Plus he's been tangled up in a corruption case.
1980s BSA 10sp

Return to “The Cake Stop”