The Irony Thread

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
HaydenM
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 09:03 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby HaydenM » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:46 pm

Rolf F wrote: I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.


I can wire a plug now but that doesn't mean everyone in my age group can (or could 35 years ago in your case). Of the 6 rented places in 7 years before I bought this place I have only changed light bulbs from that list. Why would you learn to do it before you need to when you can simply google it at the time?

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 44015
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:52 pm

Wiring a plug is still part of the GCSE syllabus, so I mean, there's no excuse really.

HaydenM
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 09:03 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby HaydenM » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:55 pm

Don't think I did GCSE electronics, it was an option and I did Design and Tech which had a lot of wood working iirc. No idea if they still do it like that, a lot sounds like it's changed in the last 10-15 years in education

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 44015
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 13:56 pm

No it's in the compulsory science exam.

User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 21632
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Veronese68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:20 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:No it's in the compulsory science exam.

This is true, it's what prompted me to teach my daughter at the time now that you mention it. Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14990
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby rjsterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:23 pm

Veronese68 wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:No it's in the compulsory science exam.

This is true, it's what prompted me to teach my daughter at the time now that you mention it. Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.


Ha.

Regarding lightbulbs, they'll soon (<10 years, I'd guess) be a thing of the past, although it is surprising how many people who've reached middle or senior management positions in large corporations, but struggle with the most basic home maintenance.
Last edited by rjsterry on Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 15951
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:28 pm

HaydenM wrote:
Rolf F wrote: I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.


I can wire a plug now but that doesn't mean everyone in my age group can (or could 35 years ago in your case). Of the 6 rented places in 7 years before I bought this place I have only changed light bulbs from that list. Why would you learn to do it before you need to when you can simply google it at the time?


Try googling anything when your battery is flat and the fuse blew in your power pack lead! Seriously though, it's a fair point but I suspect a lot of people don't actually google it at the time either.........
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Stevo 666
Posts: 33979
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 15:41 pm

Veronese68 wrote:Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.

This.

I also have problems teaching mine not to leave her clothes and possessions lying around wherever she decides to drop them and then complaining that she can't find anything.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Surrey Commuter
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:09 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Surrey Commuter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 18:06 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.

This.

I also have problems teaching mine not to leave her clothes and possessions lying around wherever she decides to drop them and then complaining that she can't find anything.


Can we have a thread about cleaning hair from shower waster traps? I seriously thought about just buying a new one every month.

User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 21632
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Veronese68 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 19:47 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.

This.

I also have problems teaching mine not to leave her clothes and possessions lying around wherever she decides to drop them and then complaining that she can't find anything.


Can we have a thread about cleaning hair from shower waster traps? I seriously thought about just buying a new one every month.

Don’t be ridiculous, you don’t need a new one you can just pay a man to do it for you.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14990
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby rjsterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 19:50 pm

:lol:
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Surrey Commuter
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:09 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Surrey Commuter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 21:20 pm

All a married chap needs is a well stocked toolbox for the FiL to use when he pops round. In frequent moments of despair he will buy you new and better tools.

For years my old man bought me tools for Xmas and birthday presents - a fantastic idea

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14990
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby rjsterry » Fri Jul 27, 2018 21:30 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:All a married chap needs is a well stocked toolbox for the FiL to use when he pops round. In frequent moments of despair he will buy you new and better tools.

For years my old man bought me tools for Xmas and birthday presents - a fantastic idea


Why on earth would you let someone else near your tools?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Surrey Commuter
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:09 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Surrey Commuter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 21:41 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:All a married chap needs is a well stocked toolbox for the FiL to use when he pops round. In frequent moments of despair he will buy you new and better tools.

For years my old man bought me tools for Xmas and birthday presents - a fantastic idea


Why on earth would you let someone else near your tools?


Because the man is a perfectionist who not only finishes jobs to an unimaginable level he then cleans, polishes and sharpens my tools before buying additional ones that I (he) may need in the future.

These jobs all need to benefit his daughter which rules out bike stuff

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14990
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby rjsterry » Sat Jul 28, 2018 00:11 am

So they're his tools, really. :)
Last edited by rjsterry on Thu Aug 29, 2019 23:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Surrey Commuter
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:09 pm

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Surrey Commuter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 08:04 am

rjsterry wrote:So there his tools, really. :)


:D

User avatar
Capt Slog
Posts: 3033
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Capt Slog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 14:37 pm

My son has just told me that a chap came into school this morning to speak to the kids.

He told them that he'd told his 4 and 5 yr old daughters that they shouldn't believe in Father Christmas any more because he's not real. They should now focus their attentions on the true meaning of Christmas, not presents, food or even family, but Jesus, and more importantly, God.
The older I get, the better I was.

Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.

User avatar
orraloon
Posts: 5151
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 08:45 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby orraloon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 14:45 pm

Fundamentalist nutter. This time prob not an Islamic one either.

Seems to be a thing.

https://www.altpress.com/news/man-arres ... isnt-real/

User avatar
Ballysmate
Posts: 12960
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 08:45 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Ballysmate » Thu Aug 29, 2019 21:05 pm

Owen Jones writing this column and then a few days later becoming a victim of violence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llar-crime

User avatar
Robert88
Posts: 2677
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 05:44 am

Re: The Irony Thread

Postby Robert88 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 05:49 am

Ballysmate wrote:Owen Jones writing this column and then a few days later becoming a victim of violence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llar-crime


It's not ironic, it's a hazard of being a "prominent left-wing activist and political commentator" who is also gay.

Asking for trouble these days. What is 'trick or treat' night gonna be like?


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DrHaggis, Graeme_S, verylonglegs and 5 guests