the nhs

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4580
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby VTech » Thu May 09, 2013 21:18 pm

The post is good but how do we fix the problem ?
Can we continue to always support smokers, fat people who eat too much, druggies, drinks.

Where does it stop ?
We just can't afford it. It's crippling the country. I'm not saying we should get rid or keep but it's not sustainable.
Living MY dream.

verylonglegs
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Re: the nhs

Postby verylonglegs » Thu May 09, 2013 21:41 pm

Rigged wrote:
MountainMonster wrote:I genuinely find this thread has dropped in quality. Charging someone for falling off a bike? Are you serious? What if this person chose to commute by bike and fell off, is that still self inflicted. What if they get hit while on their bike, is that automatically self-inflicted since they were on a bike. Does walking down the street and missing a small hole with sends them into the gutter count as self-inflicted?

You guys can not actually be serious.

If anything, cycling lowers the burden on the NHS as the people are fitter. I highly doubt the small percentage of people falling off and ending up in hospital is even 1% of the money saved by having a healthier population.

Some people these days.....


I have to agree with this.

Where do we stop with 'self-inflicted'?

How do you decide how much extra bodyweight is the cause of a joint problem requiring an operation such as a knee or hip replacement?

Would smokers get refused lung cancer/heart disease treatment etc.?

What about those who have smoked but have since given up?

How about those in need of emergency care; do we allow them to continue bleeding out whilst their pockets are searched for a credit card to swipe because they chose to step into the road at the wrong moment?

Further, who makes these spur-of-the-moment decisions, and what checks exist to ensure that people deserving of free care aren't charged or that those who should pay don't get their care for free?

How much would that cost to administrate?

What form of repercussions would exist when mistakes were made?

How would you compensate those who suffer at the hands of incorrect decisions?

I bet the same people calling for such a system would be the first to be up in arms when the papers uncover the scandal of a little old lady refused free treatment for something. Such a circumstance becomes inevitable when you make the system intentionally discriminatory and add so much complication to the system.

I understand the thought process behind the suggestion, but making individuals carry the burden of mistakes that could befall anyone is completely counter to what I believe is great about the NHS, and by extension what is great about this country. People are so keen to knock this country for the disappearing sense of 'society', whilst simultaneously looking to dismantle many of the community-spirited institutions that we should be proud of. The NHS and the welfare state are just two examples of the types of thing this country should be immensely proud of having rather than looking to dismantle them entirely so that they can pay a little less tax and have a little more money for themselves.

I suppose now I'm a commie, by some people's standards at least :lol:


All sound sensible questions which in turn have mirror opposites, how far do we go before making hard hard decisions? The NHS was created in the post-war period when the population was rake thin but ultimately a lot fitter through years of rationing and was designed to help the poorest in society get the same medical care as everyone else. Back then very expensive treatments for many illnesses didn't exist, if you had something like leukemia then that was your lot unfortnately. I'd happily bet that the founders of the organisation would be horrified to find out it now wastes a lot of money just because people can't keep their hands out of the biscuit barrel and take a walk occasionally. I can't see how it can go on in it's current form to be honest but I'll happily admit I'm glad I won't have to make decisions on who gets what, definitely not a task I envy.
Last edited by verylonglegs on Thu May 09, 2013 21:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamicbrick
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 14:40 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby dynamicbrick » Thu May 09, 2013 21:47 pm

Gregger wrote: etc
You come off a motobike "at 100mph". so your speeding and you expect everyone to pick up the bill for your reckless ness?
etc


You're damn right I do... As you so inelegantly point out - people can have the snip, breast enlargement, gastric band, so on and so forth - why shouldn't they reset all my broken bones from a road accident (which, before you see fit to mount your high horse called Indignation again, wasn't as a result of excess speed)

Indeed, why shouldn't they deliver my children, have a valiant if somewhat inconsistent attempt at curing my dad's leukemia, or cutting five organs out of my mother in law before the cancer got her? (But then the amount of NI and Income Tax I pay in any given year gives me a strange sense of entitlement, especially since I'll never see a state pension, and seem to be entirely ineligible for any form of state benefit except £74 a fortnight.)

True, this is inconsistent with my belief that people who get plastered and fall on their face on a Saturday night should contribute something, but that's more a personal gripe based on living in a seaside town which fills up every weekend with halfwits provincials with something to prove to each other.

The health tourism is an underlying problem, and the midwife at my youngest's birth quite openly admitted that they do see rather a lot of women from eastern Europe and the sub-continent having a holiday in Britain in the final weeks of pregnancy. There was also a piece on Radio 4 recently investigating the pensioner ex-Pats who return from the Costa del Wherever when old age overtakes them, or when they develop something serious that they don't trust the locals to sort.

That last bit is a rather interesting conundrum - rocking up expecting labour assistance is one thing, but returning to Blighty expecting to have your cancer removed in old age is something else entirely.

One of my closest friend's father has done just this. He's a property developer by trade, and naffed off to the Gulf a decade ago. Before that he was buggering about in Spain during the explosion of golf resorts. Don't think he's been resident in the UK in any real sense for twenty years. With this in mind, aged 58, he eventually decided that the doctors in the UAE were not right in the diagnosis of stomach ulcer, and came back to see the GP where is sister lives. Lo and behold, he's absolutely riddled with cancer. Terminal cancer. Much the same situation as my Father, really. True to NHS, they've done the same thing with him; consultants, chemo, radio, palliative, etc. Difference is my Dad only ever worked in the UK, and paid tax his whole working life, whereas mate's Dad didn't/hasn't.

Now whilst I don't begrudge him the treatment at all, it does raise the question - should we be publicly fixing him, when he's not really resident? A&E is obvious, but long term care?

The only case I know of in reverse is twenty years ago when a friend of a friend got sunstroke whilst on hols in Spain. Went to see a doctor there who discovered he had an undiagnosed heart condition... so they immediately medi-vac'd him back to the UK

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4580
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby VTech » Fri May 10, 2013 06:26 am

The problem is, we really are a country of people who say "it's not possible to police, what if this, what if that" and we never get anything done.
You only need to read the above for proof of that. I suggested for self inflicted injuries based on being drunk and next thing were talking about falling of a ladder and bike and so on.

It's been the blight of Britain for decades and I believe is so inbuilt into our nature now that we are at a point where something major needs to happen before we can ever fix it.
The sad thing is that we are a nation of clever people, we fix issues, we solve puzzles but allow lazy and foolish people change the building blocks of our future.
In general I honestly believe that people want to have better systems, better infrastructure so why don't we push these ?
I would suggest that people get concerned over the ones they will upset and decide its better to keep quiet.
Ill give a few examples.

1) second, third generation unemployed where not working is inbuilt into the family life where father, mother, kids, grand kids all don't work and have never shown and intention to work. These may be viewed as "leaches" by some but to councilers and MP's offer a good vote if security for them is maintained.

2) drug addicts who are happy to take medication and support from the NHS wihe it any real want of assistance costing billions overall when support and crime are counted.

3) fatties, people who get ill, need medication and support, will never work or add to the growth (no pun) of our country and will cost us a fortune by the time the fat has clogged the arteries so much that the ticker packs up.

4) drunks + binge drinkers, again, people that cost us a fortune and could easily be resolved with assistance and fines. The cost in this sector are astonishing.

5) assault and fighting, why should we pay ? Why don't courts make the guilty pay for the medical side as well as compensation to the victim ?

6) prisons, why can't we make them do hard labour and earn some of the costs they bear on society ?

7) dangerous sports, A&E burden of fixing people injured during dangerous sports.


There will be some who on the outside look like they fit into one of the categories I've mentioned. Maybe someone who is fat but maybe through no intention and doesnt eat 10,000 calories a day or someone who falls off a bike on a club Sunday ride.
I just don't agree with the argument that we can't police it because someone will say if you are mopping your floor at home and slip it will be classed as a dangerous situation and won't be covered so let's not put something into place.

I get problems everyday at work, I'm sure you all do but do we just drop our tools and stop ?
Yesterday I was working on a software that wasn't quite right, I ended up driving over 600 miles all told and didn't get home until 2.30am having left at 5am the previous day but I got it fixed.
We tried the "something isn't as it should be, let's down tools and wait for someone else to fix it" routine with our unions in the 80's (my childhood, and it destroyed business and killed tens of thousands of jobs.
These actions don't fix anything, they cause so many problems.
If something is wrong why shouldn't we have a try to resolve it ? Of course we can't make everyone happy and some will feel punished but if making people pay for foolish or even mildly silly behaviours offer us some benefits overall I'd sign up.
We may end up with a negative side, lets say my mom has 3 glasses of wine and falls and cracks her ankle and needs an OP and due to being over the limit is charged a fee then so be it. We owe it to ourself to at least try to get a fix.
Living MY dream.

User avatar
MountainMonster
Posts: 7268
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:04 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby MountainMonster » Fri May 10, 2013 07:23 am

My father and I have spent the last year and a half getting one of our projects up and running. I love Britain, but a common statement heard coming from our mouths when we meet with our stake holders is "Stop being so British, you are just looking for every reason something will fail. Focus on the reason it will succeed."

Does anyone know why rather than looking for the positives the British tend to only focus on negatives and why something won't work? This is a nation of innovators for goodness sake with some of the greatest thinkers coming from here.

laurentian
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby laurentian » Fri May 10, 2013 08:48 am

VTech wrote:
1) second, third generation unemployed where not working is inbuilt into the family life where father, mother, kids, grand kids all don't work and have never shown and intention to work. These may be viewed as "leaches" by some but to councilers and MP's offer a good vote if security for them is maintained.

2) drug addicts who are happy to take medication and support from the NHS wihe it any real want of assistance costing billions overall when support and crime are counted.

3) fatties, people who get ill, need medication and support, will never work or add to the growth (no pun) of our country and will cost us a fortune by the time the fat has clogged the arteries so much that the ticker packs up.

4) drunks + binge drinkers, again, people that cost us a fortune and could easily be resolved with assistance and fines. The cost in this sector are astonishing.

5) assault and fighting, why should we pay ? Why don't courts make the guilty pay for the medical side as well as compensation to the victim ?

6) prisons, why can't we make them do hard labour and earn some of the costs they bear on society ?

7) dangerous sports, A&E burden of fixing people injured during dangerous sports.



I think, basically, the answer to almost all of these is that we are a 21st Century, civilised society.
Wilier Izoard XP

User avatar
Graeme_S
Posts: 3686
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 17:21 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby Graeme_S » Fri May 10, 2013 09:07 am

In terms of the burden on the NHS I think the government would do to invest more money in schemes that help reduce the NHS burden. For example more cyclists = healthier nation = lower NHS costs.

When Nye Bevan created the NHS as the Health Minister, he was also the Minister for Housing and could see that by investing in quality social housing (and getting people out of slums) he could reduce the burden on the NHS and save money overall.

From the top of government all the way down to individual hospitals all the money is parcelled up and everybody is only responsible for saving the money in their own parcel. It creates a fark you buddy environment where decisions are deliberately made that cost us more money but save money from someone's individual budget.

It also doesn't help that politicians are generally only interested in policies that will see results before their next election.

Stick8267
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 16:06 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby Stick8267 » Fri May 10, 2013 09:16 am

So Bank Holiday weekend weekend I was running an inner city A&E where we saw about 1 100 people over the three days. I had some 350 hours of doctor time to sort them all out giving us about 15-20 minutes a patient. Unsurprisingly our wait got up to over 7 hours at times.

I am not going to argue about whether they should have been seen or whether their problems were self inflicted as, quite frankly, it is too complicated to agree the definition and the boundary between who is and isn't treated. I would also suggest that you don't want me deciding whether you get treated or not. It will probably depend what mood I'm in and how knackered I am! Most of the people I saw could have been said to be self inflicted through life style choices but they all needed to be seen at one level or another.

I would never want to see A&E charges. Most people we see would probably be exempt anyway (as they are for prescription charges) and the cost and hassle of collecting the money would be ridiculous.

The simple truth is that the GPs have abdicated responsibility for their patients unscheduled needs leaving us to pick up the pieces. Do remember that GPs are independent health providers and are self employed. They refused to join the NHS when it was set up and have held it ransom ever since. They are an enormously successful and powerful lobby group that effectively runs the BMA and their most vociferous work has been whenever the government has tried to bring them in under the sort of control that the hospitals enjoy. The notion of giving the control of commissioning to them is terrifying. A significant number of GPs working on commissioning groups also run private companies that provide out of hours work and other treatment options to the NHS. Conflict of interest?

A&E is significantly understaffed and it is going to get worse. The A&E doctor specialist training programme has a 50% fill rate nationally so in 5 to 10 years there is going to be a major shortage of doctors trained to deliver the care the public need. In 15 to 20 years it will be close to impossible to staff many departments. Very few people coming out of medical school see A&E as an attractive option. The hours are ridiculous, the shift patterns soul destroying, the targets bear no relation to clinical quality and the support non-existent.

Sorry that's all a bit depressing and I am afraid I do not know what the answer is. Personally I am expanding my skill base so I can get out of the NHS. It's an awful organisation to work for, especially as a senior doctor. All I am expected to do is make sure things happen quickly irrespective of whether they are clinically appropriate or of high quality.

The NHS is dying.

ooermissus
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 am

Re: the nhs

Postby ooermissus » Fri May 10, 2013 09:21 am

Stick8267 wrote:The simple truth is that the GPs have abdicated responsibility for their patients unscheduled needs leaving us to pick up the pieces. Do remember that GPs are independent health providers and are self employed. They refused to join the NHS when it was set up and have held it ransom ever since.


They're absurdly overpaid too.

User avatar
Rigged
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 17:42 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby Rigged » Fri May 10, 2013 09:41 am

VTech wrote:The problem is, we really are a country of people who say "it's not possible to police, what if this, what if that" and we never get anything done.
You only need to read the above for proof of that. I suggested for self inflicted injuries based on being drunk and next thing were talking about falling of a ladder and bike and so on.

It's been the blight of Britain for decades and I believe is so inbuilt into our nature now that we are at a point where something major needs to happen before we can ever fix it.
The sad thing is that we are a nation of clever people, we fix issues, we solve puzzles but allow lazy and foolish people change the building blocks of our future.
In general I honestly believe that people want to have better systems, better infrastructure so why don't we push these ?
I would suggest that people get concerned over the ones they will upset and decide its better to keep quiet.
Ill give a few examples.

1) second, third generation unemployed where not working is inbuilt into the family life where father, mother, kids, grand kids all don't work and have never shown and intention to work. These may be viewed as "leaches" by some but to councilers and MP's offer a good vote if security for them is maintained.

2) drug addicts who are happy to take medication and support from the NHS wihe it any real want of assistance costing billions overall when support and crime are counted.

3) fatties, people who get ill, need medication and support, will never work or add to the growth (no pun) of our country and will cost us a fortune by the time the fat has clogged the arteries so much that the ticker packs up.

4) drunks + binge drinkers, again, people that cost us a fortune and could easily be resolved with assistance and fines. The cost in this sector are astonishing.

5) assault and fighting, why should we pay ? Why don't courts make the guilty pay for the medical side as well as compensation to the victim ?

6) prisons, why can't we make them do hard labour and earn some of the costs they bear on society ?

7) dangerous sports, A&E burden of fixing people injured during dangerous sports.


There will be some who on the outside look like they fit into one of the categories I've mentioned. Maybe someone who is fat but maybe through no intention and doesnt eat 10,000 calories a day or someone who falls off a bike on a club Sunday ride.
I just don't agree with the argument that we can't police it because someone will say if you are mopping your floor at home and slip it will be classed as a dangerous situation and won't be covered so let's not put something into place.

I get problems everyday at work, I'm sure you all do but do we just drop our tools and stop ?
Yesterday I was working on a software that wasn't quite right, I ended up driving over 600 miles all told and didn't get home until 2.30am having left at 5am the previous day but I got it fixed.
We tried the "something isn't as it should be, let's down tools and wait for someone else to fix it" routine with our unions in the 80's (my childhood, and it destroyed business and killed tens of thousands of jobs.
These actions don't fix anything, they cause so many problems.
If something is wrong why shouldn't we have a try to resolve it ? Of course we can't make everyone happy and some will feel punished but if making people pay for foolish or even mildly silly behaviours offer us some benefits overall I'd sign up.
We may end up with a negative side, lets say my mom has 3 glasses of wine and falls and cracks her ankle and needs an OP and due to being over the limit is charged a fee then so be it. We owe it to ourself to at least try to get a fix.


1. How many 2nd and 3rd generation unemployed people do you suppose there actually are? I Googled this to try and find some empirical evidence of their numbers.

Using the best official data, the research confirms worklessness is a major problem: in 3.7m working-age households, 18% of the total, nobody has a job. But two-generational worklessness is far rarer...As for homes with two generations that have never worked, the fraction drops further, to less than 0.1% of the total. Of course there will be some "never-worked" families where children have flown the nest, but the little data available suggests these, too, are uncommon.


The truly double-generation long-term unemployed family is, then, a rare species. As for the politicians' "third-generation" perma-idlers, these are on the critically endangered list – if not entirely fictional. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation set out to identify and investigate 20 such "never-worked" families in deprived Glasgow and Teesside, but it found not a single one.


http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -editorial

There were virtually no other results.

These occur in such small numbers that their actual impact on the public purse in the grand scale of things is almost entirely irrelevant. They also don't represent any type of 'group' of sufficient size that politicians could actually benefit from securing their votes.

Ideologically, we'd see everyone who's deserving get their entitlements but no one getting something they weren't entitled to. I don't think such a perfect system exists. In light of that, I'd sooner see a system that walks on the cautious side and accepts some overpayments as unavoidable in order to see that all those who need it get it. Yes, that means I pay a little more in taxes each year, but it's more than worth it to me.

Your other points can largely be addressed as a whole. I'm a big believer in prevention is better than cure. Somehow we need to foster the personal responsibility that sees people choose not to smoke, eat and drink to excess.

We've actually done pretty well in cutting down the number of smokers and the attitude towards it, but it will be decades until the benefit to people's health is reflected in the NHS bill. I'd support similar steps to see that alcohol and junk food consumption goes the same way.

We need to look at the social conditions that drives so many of us to drink to oblivion every friday and saturday night, to eat crap with absolutely no regard or understanding of the harm it does to our bodies, to address why people turn to drugs and why people either fall or are born into long-term unemployment. That doesn't mean that we should pull the rug from under those who require society's support either through benefit or health care.

I honestly believe that the papers hold a lot of responsibility for the cynicism that so many people feel towards the state of Britain. They've propagated the false belief for so long that there's millions of people out there who have never worked, never want to, and will never have to. That benefit fraud is rife. That immigration and/or the EU is the cause of all these problems. All of these claims are largely unsubstantiated by any sort of research. Where research is used it's partially-quoted and taken out of context to deliver an entirely different conclusion to that of the research itself.

ooermissus
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 am

Re: the nhs

Postby ooermissus » Fri May 10, 2013 09:51 am

You and your facts. :wink:

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4580
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby VTech » Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 am

Facts in Britain are often known as "Spin"
There are plenty of second and third generation unemployed, it depends where the reviews and studies are carried out.
Im not saying it is a extremely high percentage but it is there, it is fact and it is going to get worse as people only learn from within their own community so if the people around them dont work then the likelihood is that they wont.

Im shocked that anyone would honestly think or believe that benefit fraud and people not wanting to work isnt widespread :) to believe otherwise is yet another confirmation of blinkered views of the british.
Benefit fraud is huge, it just depends on how you calculate.

Some would argue that if your not working then you are entitled to it.

I would suggest that if you were able to do a job and one was available yet you didnt want to do it because it didnt match your previous work but the employer was willing to have you onboard then you are committing benefit fraud because you are claiming when you dont need too and others need that money more than you.

We are a lazy nation, why did we get an influx of polish ? did they and other EU people come here to take our jobs ?
They came here because on the whole, so many people here didn't want them so they were never theirs to lose.

@mountainmonster, you mention that you had to spend a year and a half getting a project up and running, does anyone actually think that if, as a whole we all worked like this we would be in such a mess ?

Of course we wouldnt.
We thrived in the industrial revolution, we became world class and got to the point where people truly believed they were owed a living. Its the british way.

We are owed nothing, if we can work we should.
If we can pay, we should.
If we can help, we should.

Its easy for doctors to say they have too much work on at the A&E dept and suggest that they have only a small time to see patients. It is for this that I am so against the take take society.
My son was looked after so well in november after being diagnosed and they couldnt have done more but what about my grandkids ? If im ever blessed with them what will be their options ?
The NHS can't/won't be able to be as it is in 2030 !
Living MY dream.

ooermissus
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 am

Re: the nhs

Postby ooermissus » Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 am

Told you facts wouldn't have any impact.

User avatar
Rigged
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 17:42 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby Rigged » Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 am

VTech wrote:Facts in Britain are often known as "Spin"
There are plenty of second and third generation unemployed, it depends where the reviews and studies are carried out.
Im not saying it is a extremely high percentage but it is there, it is fact and it is going to get worse as people only learn from within their own community so if the people around them dont work then the likelihood is that they wont.

Im shocked that anyone would honestly think or believe that benefit fraud and people not wanting to work isnt widespread :) to believe otherwise is yet another confirmation of blinkered views of the british.
Benefit fraud is huge, it just depends on how you calculate.


You don't quite seem to have got the hang of this facts thing. Simply saying it's a fact doesn't actually make it so.

Definition of fact
noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fact

So facts are "spin", but only if they happen to contradict your opinion. Your opinion is "fact", but you don't actually have anything to substantiate it. I think you're getting yourself a little confused ;)

A poll conducted by the Trades Union Congress in 2012 found that perceptions among the British public were that benefit fraud was high - on average people thought that 27% of the British welfare budget is claimed fraudulently;[4] however, official UK Government figures have stated that the proportion of fraud stands at 0.7% of the total welfare budget in 2011/12.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefit_fr ... efit_fraud

Image

The latest report estimates fraud and error levels in the benefit system in Great Britain.

For 2012/13 (preliminary) it is estimated that 2.1 per cent of total benefit expenditure was overpaid due to fraud and error, the same as the 2011/12 estimate.
The estimated value of overpayments is £3.5bn, which is a rise from the 2011/12 estimated value of £3.4bn.
For 2012/13 (preliminary) it is estimated that 0.9 per cent of total benefit expenditure was underpaid due to fraud and error, which is a rise from the 2011/12 estimate (0.8 per cent).
The estimated value of underpayments is £1.4bn, which is a rise from the 2011/12 estimated value of £1.3bn.

http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/i ... raud_error

And you think my views are blinkered? I'd love it if you could actually substantiate your views with anything other than wild conjecture (without resorting to The Daily Mail, preferably ;)).

User avatar
the playing mantis
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby the playing mantis » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

also fat obese people should be sent to boot cavmp until they are normal weight before receiving any free treatment.

User avatar
MountainMonster
Posts: 7268
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:04 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby MountainMonster » Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

Vtech,

part of the causes of the problems we are having now are the reluctance to do things because of possible failure, which although can be a genuine worry, often complicates things more than necessary, and leads to things staying the same. It would have taken 6 months to get our project launched either in Europe, or the US, but the mindset here of "if it could possibly have a problem it is not worth pursuing" is very detrimental to getting things done. This is also why there are so many other failed programmes across the UK because people chose to focus all their effort on stopping something rather than looking for solutions to the problem, or learning how to make it work through stressing the good points and learning from either small mistakes or case studies from other initiatives.

This mindset unfortunately only exists in the UK. It is depressing when I, as a 23 year old man, must tell stakeholders of large corporations to simply get on with things and get the ball rolling and the problems will fix themselves in time. These are highly respected members of their business communities, and these things would not need to be said elsewhere.

I still remember one meeting about 6 months ago where the project had a roughly 85% chance of success in its most perfect form, but every single British person sitting at the table only focused on the 15% that could cause problems and tried stalling everything. Most of these issues would have sorted themselves out if rather than just thinking about why it won't work you think about ways to make it work, but that simply did not happen. We had to eventually get the ball rolling ourselves (my father and I) and take the risk ourselves to watch the programme move as everyone else was only causing headaches. The funny part is that now that the project is up and running, we have the same companies coming back to us wanting to get involved since it is a pioneer project.

ooermissus
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 am

Re: the nhs

Postby ooermissus » Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am

the playing mantis wrote:also fat obese people should be sent to boot cavmp until they are normal weight before receiving any free treatment.


With around 14m obese people in the UK - it's going to be an awfully big boot camp.

User avatar
-spider-
Posts: 2538
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 17:40 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby -spider- » Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 am

ooermissus wrote:Told you facts wouldn't have any impact.


It is easy to fight facts with opinion. It is far more difficult to fight facts with facts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-Spider-

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4580
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby VTech » Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 am

MountainMonster wrote:Vtech,

part of the causes of the problems we are having now are the reluctance to do things because of possible failure, which although can be a genuine worry, often complicates things more than necessary, and leads to things staying the same. It would have taken 6 months to get our project launched either in Europe, or the US, but the mindset here of "if it could possibly have a problem it is not worth pursuing" is very detrimental to getting things done. This is also why there are so many failed other programmes across the country because people chose to focus all their effort on stopping something rather than looking for solutions to the problem, or learning how to make it work through stressing the good points.

This mindset unfortunately only exists in the UK. It is depressing when I, as a 23 year old man, must tell stakeholders of large corporations to simply get on with things and get the ball rolling and the problems will fix themselves in time. These are highly respected members of their business communities, and these things would not need to be said elsewhere.



Im with you mate. :!:

I get the job done, im paid well to do that and get passion from making the impossible possible. I thrive on making things work.
I have worked since I was 11, part time, as a kid washing cars, cleaning gardens, golf caddying and all sorts, I worked unpaid weekends because I wanted to learn. Its done me well, maybe some luck but work pays in the end.

I never listen to the above about benefit fraud stats because its wrong IN MY OPINION because it is SPIN

I explained very well above.

If you dont work you are entitled to benefits, this is NOT CURRENTLY CLASSED AS FRAUD but if you really are able to work then of course THIS IS FRAUD so removing the spin that people put on it, the reality is that we do have huge fraud, unless of course we really do have millions out of work and no jobs for them. :?:
Living MY dream.

User avatar
MountainMonster
Posts: 7268
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:04 pm

Re: the nhs

Postby MountainMonster » Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 am

the playing mantis wrote:also fat obese people should be sent to boot cavmp until they are normal weight before receiving any free treatment.


So is that a blanket rule, or a pick and chose one again. What about the people who have serious health complications, which as a side effect cause increased weight gain, leading to them being obese? My mother is a good example of this, there is only one medicine that works well for her, and it slows her metabolism to snails pace. Even when she was running 10k a day she would gain weight.

Should she be sent to boot camp? Millions of people are like that.


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ballysmate, diplodicus, Jez mon, TailWindHome and 47 guests