Vote UKIP - stop cyclists stealing roadspace!

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Diamant49

Vote UKIP - stop cyclists stealing roadspace!

Postby Diamant49 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 20:39 pm

Danlikesbikes

Re: Vote UKIP - stop cyclists stealing roadspace!

Postby Danlikesbikes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 20:46 pm

Saw this earlier today & it did make me chuckle for all the wrong reasons - all I can say is it does not come across as a very well educated bunch of answers to the questions and that is me being fair.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Wirral_Paul

Postby Wirral_Paul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 23:27 pm

So which idiot put that "Burk" up as a candidate in the so called "Cycling capital of the UK"??

Oops!! :D

finchy

Postby finchy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 07:35 am

"Cyclists don't pay, car drivers do, blahblahblahblah bollox"

Obviously this twunt has never heard of council tax, general taxation or the fact that cyclists might also own cars.

NeXXus

Postby NeXXus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 07:40 am

Major facepalm there :D
And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 07:55 am

I can feel quite dis-heartened when voters display such ignorance at how the system works and things are paid for so it's even more depressing to read someone that stupid is actually running for office. Democracy eh? :roll: I mean, at least we always knew the monster raving looney party and legalise cannabis crowd were jokers, the UKIP lot are unfortunately quite genuine.

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 08:07 am

On the one hand, it shows how little idea UKIP have of how funding works, and what a disaster they would be if they ever got any serious power. On the other hand, it's depressing when people are such idiots
You live and learn. At any rate, you live

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » Sat Apr 27, 2013 09:01 am

Frighteningly thick!!!!!

pinkteapot

Postby pinkteapot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 09:51 am

Answer to question 11 is worse!

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/elections/20 ... question11

Why are there cycle tracks on Hill's road on both the road and footpath?
Road space is required for motorised vehicles who pay for it. It shouldn't be wasted on people who don't.
Just for your information, I walk to most places in Cambridge, but you should bear in mind that if everybody cycled, there would be no roads to ride on.
What is "sustainable transport"? Is it using things that other people pay for?

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:29 am

Utterly brilliant. Alienating a whole swathe of voters to get favour with motorists on a website that motorists won't visit. That's the opposite of politics.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Rigged

Postby Rigged » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 am

Just googled his name and came up with this article: http://road.cc/content/news/81887-ukip- ... roads-ride

I can't believe UKIP are actually gaining support (for more reasons than just this guy's view of cyclists)!

pinkteapot

Postby pinkteapot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Comment from a US Republican politician, explaining why cycling is bad for the environment:

http://images.bimedia.net/images/emailOrcutt.JPG

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Sat Apr 27, 2013 13:19 pm

Rigged wrote:I can't believe UKIP are actually gaining support (for more reasons than just this guy's view of cyclists)!

Can't you? The other three main parties have treated the voter with distain when it comes to Europe. People rightly or wrongly see power being ceded to Brussells all the time. The EU is a different beast altogether to the 'Common Market' that the country signed up for. In short, it didn't do what it said on the tin.
UKIP may be a one trick pony, but they are the only party willing to say what a lot of people believe and identify with. They are not just attracting voters from the right either, people from across the political spectrum are giving them consideration.
Reading this, you may think I was a UKIP voter, but no, I am not, they are still a party of protest and I would consider it a wasted vote. But I fully understand why people are starting to think about them, because the main parties have been too late waking up to the growing public opinion vis a vis Europe.

Kerguelen

Postby Kerguelen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 14:41 pm

Ballysmate wrote:
Rigged wrote:I can't believe UKIP are actually gaining support (for more reasons than just this guy's view of cyclists)!

<snip>
Reading this, you may think I was a UKIP voter, but no, I am not, they are still a party of protest and I would consider it a wasted vote. But I fully understand why people are starting to think about them, because the main parties have been too late waking up to the growing public opinion vis a vis Europe.

That was a nicely done denial, very subtle.
'Rabid, pig-ignorant and stultifyingly ill-informed.'

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Sun Apr 28, 2013 08:52 am

Although I am not linking them with UKIP in any political way, the same principle applies to BNP.
Their policies may be thought odious by the vast majority in the country, but for years they were the only 'party' who recognised that immigration was a growing problem for a large portion of the electorate. People who were concerned about the UK's growing population were branded racists, xenophobes and the like, by mainstream politicians and media. People had no one to give their fears voice and were seduced by BNP.
They have gone on to win Council seats, seats in the London Assembley and the European Parliament. I was shocked to find out that BNP gained over 5% of the vote in the 2008 London Mayoral Election, finishing fifth. London is an extremely cosmopolitan city, so for a party like BNP to gain 1 in 20 votes is remarkable and worrying.
Again, this has been brought about by the main parties failure to deal with the subject of immigration, which for some areas in the country is of much more pressing concern than issues like gay marriage for instance.
And no, before somebody says otherwise, I am not against gay marriage. Probably, like a lot of people up and down the country, I don't give a flying feck about it. I am just using it as an example of the Government 'Hanging pictures while the roof is falling in'.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Sun Apr 28, 2013 16:49 pm

Ballysmate wrote: People who were concerned about the UK's growing population were branded racists, xenophobes and the like, by mainstream politicians and media.

That'll be that same media then who got them all paranoid in the first place about immigration without ever actually bothering to find out if it was a problem. The same media as well that has got large swathes of the population paranoid about benefits scroungers even though the unemployed take up a comparatively small proportion of benefits compared to those within work.

The media decide what opinions the stupid should have. If UKIP does well, it will be down to the media.
Faster than a tent.......

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 17:07 pm

Refreshingly honest I thought. The other candidates seem happy to peddle the same old claptrap, pretty words with no substance. He thinks that cyclists are a bunch of arrogant foul mouthed wazzocks who seem to want the world and are quite happy to break the rules when it suits... Pretty fair reflection of life as it is I would think...

ooermissus

Postby ooermissus » Sun Apr 28, 2013 17:10 pm

Mikey23 wrote:Refreshingly honest I thought. The other candidates seem happy to peddle the same old claptrap, pretty words with no substance. He thinks that cyclists are a bunch of arrogant foul mouthed wazzocks who seem to want the world and are quite happy to break the rules when it suits... Pretty fair reflection of life as it is I would think...

One of the main things you learn on BR is how much cyclists dislike other cyclists.

Ballysmate

Postby Ballysmate » Sun Apr 28, 2013 17:50 pm

Rolf F wrote:
Ballysmate wrote: People who were concerned about the UK's growing population were branded racists, xenophobes and the like, by mainstream politicians and media.

That'll be that same media then who got them all paranoid in the first place about immigration without ever actually bothering to find out if it was a problem. The same media as well that has got large swathes of the population paranoid about benefits scroungers even though the unemployed take up a comparatively small proportion of benefits compared to those within work.

The media decide what opinions the stupid should have. If UKIP does well, it will be down to the media.

Most people's view of the world is shaped by their experiences and as you quite rightly say, what they see and read in the media. To say that because people are influenced by what they read, they are stupid is incredible. I assume that your towering intellect is such, you can separate fact from subtle propaganda. Or is it just people who decide to take a differing stance or vote for a different party to you that you consider stupid?
As I said earlier, I am not a UKIP voter, but wouldn't consider anyone who voted for them, or any other legitimate party, to be stupid.

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 18:36 pm

Ballysmate wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

Most people's view of the world is shaped by their experiences and as you quite rightly say, what they see and read in the media. To say that because people are influenced by what they read, they are stupid is incredible. I assume that your towering intellect is such, you can separate fact from subtle propaganda. Or is it just people who decide to take a differing stance or vote for a different party to you that you consider stupid?
As I said earlier, I am not a UKIP voter, but wouldn't consider anyone who voted for them, or any other legitimate party, to be stupid.

You really think readers of things like the Sun or Mirror are intelligent?

Return to “The Cake Stop”