Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Tangled Metal

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Tangled Metal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 19:56 pm

That one sheet using the finger probably started when army switched from izol to soft toilet paper. Sgt major stuck his finger through and realised he could save money for bullets by cutting back on paper. Afterall it was probably the times when they used to walk the shooting range to collect the brass to save pennies through recycling. :wink:

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » Thu Sep 19, 2019 22:16 pm

Pross wrote:
Ballysmate wrote:Who decided on the nominal size of a sheet of toilet paper?
Is one sheet fit for purpose?

I've never understood this. Has anyone ever used a single sheet (other than when you suddenly realise you've run out)? Why not make each sheet a usable size instead of people needing to use multiple sheets?

People in the past must have had smaller bums

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » Thu Sep 19, 2019 22:18 pm

Brazil nuts in a bag mixed nuts and not enough raisins to sweeten the quantity of nuts.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:09 am

I agree with the toilet paper chat, although all most people do is fold it over and double the ply. If I was going to make a paper which was up to the job I'd probably just double the ply anyway. I'd pay for softness over thickness, otherwise I'd be using kitchen roll by now...

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:13 am

TheBigBean wrote:Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.

Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:24 am

TheBigBean wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.

It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:29 am

rjsterry wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.

Why does turning it the wrong way help? I understand the crossthreading risk.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:29 am

Cowsham wrote:Brazil nuts in a bag mixed nuts and not enough raisins to sweeten the quantity of nuts.

Related - Cadbury's Fruit and Nut is way too heavy on the fruit and too light on the nuts these days.
and then the next thing you know

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:31 am

Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:32 am

KingstonGraham wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:To be fair, I find giving it [insert number larger than 100]% even more irritating, so perhaps I should be pleased with the move towards full gas.

You are assuming that the value it is comparing with is maximum effort. It is not necessarily. You can understand giving more than 100% FTP, if that was the starting value for comparison.

What "I'm going to give it 150%" could mean is "normally, I work at about 50% of my maximum potential, but today, I'm going to try a bit, Brian".

Thanks. I'll go with that and be less annoyed by it. Can you find an excuse for everyone talking about full gas all the time?

bompington

Postby bompington » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:39 am

Once I find a new cliche I always want to pick it up and run with it. AT full gas of course.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:40 am

TheBigBean wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:To be fair, I find giving it [insert number larger than 100]% even more irritating, so perhaps I should be pleased with the move towards full gas.

You are assuming that the value it is comparing with is maximum effort. It is not necessarily. You can understand giving more than 100% FTP, if that was the starting value for comparison.

What "I'm going to give it 150%" could mean is "normally, I work at about 50% of my maximum potential, but today, I'm going to try a bit, Brian".

Thanks. I'll go with that and be less annoyed by it. Can you find an excuse for everyone talking about full gas all the time?

Cycling takes many words from other languages. American is just a new one.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:45 am

TheBigBean wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

Not sure exactly, but I would imagine something about the geometry of the two parts tends to align them when light pressure and rotation is applied.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 09:49 am

rjsterry wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

Not sure exactly, but I would imagine something about the geometry of the two parts tends to align them when light pressure and rotation is applied.

I see. Anyway, I am now wiser which is a good thing, but also embarrassed. Still, my colleague asked me yesterday why wheels need spokes. At least, I'm better than that!

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 am

ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.

Tashman

Postby Tashman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:20 am

Pross wrote:ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.

I'm at work so can't see the level of Mansplaining but I assume it's related to the fact that they expect more people to take interest as it's a big tournament. Rugby's laws are fairly mind boggling.

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:16 pm

Tashman wrote:
Pross wrote:ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.

I'm at work so can't see the level of Mansplaining but I assume it's related to the fact that they expect more people to take interest as it's a big tournament. Rugby's laws are fairly mind boggling.

You don't see them have Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand demonstrating the off-site rule at a football world cup though. It feels like they think as they rarely show international rugby their audience doesn't watch the game. At least they've got fairly decent pundits though and the first match has been entertaining

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Pross wrote:
Tashman wrote:

You don't see them have Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand demonstrating the off-site rule at a football world cup though. It feels like they think as they rarely show international rugby their audience doesn't watch the game. At least they've got fairly decent pundits though and the first match has been entertaining

Be interesting to know how many people who don't understand anything about rugby are tuning in for Japan against Russia at 11:45 am. Maybe they want to see Loose Women, and can't change the channel.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:20 pm

keef66 wrote:Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.

Thanks for highlighting this -- not because I didn't know but because I do it automatically and forget to tell young green engineers to do it.

Another one is mechanical engineers or car mechanics who don't know that a little time spent cleaning the threads ( if any are sticking out beyond the nut before removal ) will prevent jamming and cross threading -- grit or especially sand can get trapped and destroy the threads even when it's invisible to the eye.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 16:31 pm

Cowsham wrote:
keef66 wrote:Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.

Thanks for highlighting this -- not because I didn't know but because I do it automatically and forget to tell young green engineers to do it.

Another one is mechanical engineers or car mechanics who don't know that a little time spent cleaning the threads ( if any are sticking out beyond the nut before removal ) will prevent jamming and cross threading -- grit or especially sand can get trapped and destroy the threads even when it's invisible to the eye.

The problem is where there is no chamfer and the parts are threaded to the end; so the edge of the hole can pick up like the thread start causing cross threading. Revrse turn ensures the initial engagement is on the thread, not the edge of the hole.

Return to “The Cake Stop”