Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby darkhairedlord » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:51 pm

keef66 wrote:^Me too. It's just moronic.

The world is full of annoying crap like that now. Pet peeves of mine are online forms which require you to enter the same information several times, or fields requiring numbers which don't bring up the number keyboard automatically. I know it's only an extra dab of a finger, and not in the same league as having to walk 8 miles a day to fetch contaminated drinking water, but it'd be unnecessary if the page was better designed.

Built in search onscreen keyboard plugin on tv or settop box where some are alphabetical, others querty. Just have one fing plugin and use it in all the apps!

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 15946
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Rolf F » Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:55 pm

keef66 wrote:^Me too. It's just moronic.

The world is full of annoying crap like that now. Pet peeves of mine are online forms which require you to enter the same information several times, or fields requiring numbers which don't bring up the number keyboard automatically. I know it's only an extra dab of a finger, and not in the same league as having to walk 8 miles a day to fetch contaminated drinking water, but it'd be unnecessary if the page was better designed.


Entry fields that ask your age, do have a pop up list but have the value that appears initially as 2019. Who was born in 2019 and is filling online forms in?

Maybe default to 1999 which is not far off the birth year of those who are probably filling most forms in. Unless it is a form for over - 50s plans (whatever they are....). Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
Faster than a tent.......

Slowbike
Posts: 8249
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:07 pm

Rolf F wrote:Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol: :wink:

thistle (MBNW)
Posts: 2592
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 17:37 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:22 pm

Rolf F wrote:Entry fields that ask your age, do have a pop up list but have the value that appears initially as 2019. Who was born in 2019 and is filling online forms in?

Maybe default to 1999 which is not far off the birth year of those who are probably filling most forms in. Unless it is a form for over - 50s plans (whatever they are....). Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Might be a way to keep the spambots away?

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby keef66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:34 pm

thistle (MBNW) wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Entry fields that ask your age, do have a pop up list but have the value that appears initially as 2019. Who was born in 2019 and is filling online forms in?

Maybe default to 1999 which is not far off the birth year of those who are probably filling most forms in. Unless it is a form for over - 50s plans (whatever they are....). Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Might be a way to keep the spambots away?


I've developed RSI repeatedly scrolling all the way back to 1957. And why does my age matter if I'm only buying dog food??

And what about those bloody Captcha things which ask you to tick all the (blurry, grainy) photos with cars, or shops, or traffic lights. Half of them I can't make out what's in the photo at all, so it's a bit of a guess. Try using some decent, in focus, higher res photos...

I'm starting to make Victor Meldrew sound like a positive, upbeat kinda chap...

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 15946
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Rolf F » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:39 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol: :wink:


Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Stevo 666
Posts: 33912
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Stevo 666 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:58 pm

Rolf F wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol: :wink:


Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!

I hear that's a common tactic on dating websites...
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

HaydenM
Posts: 2637
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 09:03 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby HaydenM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:02 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!

I hear that's a common tactic on dating websites...


I guess being 85 or 86 might be more attractive than whatever his real age is...?

MrB123
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 16:12 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby MrB123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:06 pm

Not being able to find a convenient source of embalming fluid.

Slowbike
Posts: 8249
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Slowbike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:26 pm

Rolf F wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol: :wink:


Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!


Well played ... ;)


On a similar theme - why do accounts for business systems need your DoB? Just confirming details for a BT business account - ok, using my (works) email address, but they want my DoB - not relevant and not needed - so you're not getting it. But you have to put something in .... better say Happy Birthday to me on the 1st Jan then ...

elbowloh
Posts: 1877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 13:53 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby elbowloh » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:40 pm

On a similar note, when you're in a shop and they ask if you want them to email you the receipt or in other words, give us your email address so we can bombard you with ads or sell your details on to someone else.
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby keef66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:56 pm

Not as annoying as being spammed by lastminute.com who took £1200 then failed to provide the flights we thought we'd booked. OK, the refund was promptly issued, but now I have to find out how to unsubscribe to emails I don't remember agreeing to receive. GRRR!

awavey
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 22:46 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby awavey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 21:56 pm

Slowbike wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
Slowbike wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS

Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol: :wink:


Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!


Well played ... ;)


On a similar theme - why do accounts for business systems need your DoB? Just confirming details for a BT business account - ok, using my (works) email address, but they want my DoB - not relevant and not needed - so you're not getting it. But you have to put something in .... better say Happy Birthday to me on the 1st Jan then ...


because they do a credit check to see you are who you say you are and your DoB ties you in to that identity and so you dont have any outstanding issues paying off debts which might make giving you a brand new account till the next bill slightly troublesome if you rack up stupid amounts of charges and dont intend to pay for them...trust me it happens

awavey
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 22:46 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby awavey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 21:58 pm

keef66 wrote:Not as annoying as being spammed by lastminute.com who took £1200 then failed to provide the flights we thought we'd booked. OK, the refund was promptly issued, but now I have to find out how to unsubscribe to emails I don't remember agreeing to receive. GRRR!


its weirder when you receive a text message from a company you dont remember ever giving your mobile phone number to and only had an email contact with

User avatar
Cowsham
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:15 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Cowsham » Tue Sep 17, 2019 22:13 pm

PoweredByIdris wrote:
elbowloh wrote:ATMs.

I want to withdraw some cash. I am given the following options:
1) Cash only
2) Cash and Receipt
3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!


And what the hell is an 'advice slip'?

"You should spend this on new wheels"


Me too -- was going to put this gripe in but beaten to it.

User avatar
Cowsham
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:15 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Cowsham » Tue Sep 17, 2019 22:16 pm

HaydenM wrote:ATMs that wont accept your card until they have finished sincerely thanking the previous user of the machine for a solid 2 minutes after they've left.



When I read this I could only visualize a little Chinese man politely thanking the machine back each time it thanked him.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 21017
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Pross » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:21 am

Cowsham wrote:
PoweredByIdris wrote:
elbowloh wrote:ATMs.

I want to withdraw some cash. I am given the following options:
1) Cash only
2) Cash and Receipt
3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!


And what the hell is an 'advice slip'?

"You should spend this on new wheels"


Me too -- was going to put this gripe in but beaten to it.


It had already been done but yes, it's still as annoying as ever. At least the ATM by my house no longer gives an advice slip whether you want one or not so there's less of a litter problem now.

thistle (MBNW)
Posts: 2592
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 17:37 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:25 am

elbowloh wrote:On a similar note, when you're in a shop and they ask if you want them to email you the receipt or in other words, give us your email address so we can bombard you with ads or sell your details on to someone else.

And then they print you a receipt anyway.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 44004
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:34 am

Advice slip at 3am tells you to go home.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 21017
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Postby Pross » Wed Sep 18, 2019 07:43 am

The wireless keyboard in my office. It misses letters from virtually every word I type and not even the same letters. When I look up from the keyboard to the screen it's just a random string of letters underlined in red that have to be re-typed. Oddly, it seems to get better later in the day which is probably one for the intriguing thread.


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: briantrumpet, Coopster the 1st, Forehead, mamil314, morstar, rjsterry, Shortfall, TailWindHome and 27 guests