Van Nicholas Euros

Show off your bikes here...
Ledeev

Re: Van Nicholas Euros

Postby Ledeev » Mon Dec 23, 2013 15:05 pm

I used to measure like that, but when I started buying bikes like this...

....it all got a bit too difficult for me, especially when I run a bit late for my start time and need to get the bike set up right first time, so I started measuring to the rails. I know it's not what the bike shops do, but it works for me.

Horses for courses I guess, in the same way some people like Campag.
Van Nicolas Euros Ui2 / Lynskey Sportive Di2C / Cannondale CAAD12 Disc
Cervelo P3C / Cervelo Soloist / Felt B16 / Turner 5 spot / Turner Flux

DiscoBoy

Postby DiscoBoy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 17:00 pm

I think we need some pictures of your other bikes, you know, to make sure you have them set up correctly ;)
Red bikes are the fastest.

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Mon Dec 23, 2013 17:20 pm

I'll try and post some more photos for critiquing. There just aren't enough Internet-based bike fit services!

I swapped one of the spacers under the stem for a red one tonight and I'm pleased how it looks now!

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Lovely looking!

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Wed Jun 25, 2014 17:18 pm

I finally got round to updating my Van Nich to Di2.

I dislike the look of cables on the downtube so decided to run the control wire along the bottom of the top tube, then down the back of the seat tube to be lost behind the rear mech and various other wires. A bit of experimentation with wire lengths and I came up with the following:

Junc A to B: 1200mm
Junc B to RD: 500mm
Junc B to batt: 300mm
Junc B to FD: 300mm

I retained the wires to the frame under strips of aluminium tape. I’m not satisfied with the quality of this job so will have another go at this with someone holding the wires tight while I stick them on.

I’m not a fan of the look of the Shimano Di2 battery, but because I can’t find an easy way of getting the wires inside the frame without drilling, I'm stuck with it. I don’t have the patience to fashion a mount to go under the BB or chainstay like other people have, so mounted it on the seat tube instead. In my opinion, it looks okay there and makes tidying up the wires easier.

I also took the opportunity to swap the cranks for some Ultegra SL ones that I picked up for my Lynskey, but decided to put on this instead. I’m still not sure if I prefer the look, but I’m sure it will grow on me.

I use the bike mainly for training and general riding, so mainly use it with the Powertap wheels shown in the pictures. I quite like the 32h on this bike, it gives an under-stated pre-2000s look that I really like. I can’t say that I’m that blown away by the Powertap. It weighs rather a lot, breaks spokes for fun and after <2000 miles (all weather admittedly), the bearings have gone. Despite the power measurement being consistent and reliable, I wouldn’t buy another one, especially given the performance of the Power2Max unit on my P3C

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Tue Jun 16, 2015 21:05 pm

On my way home yesterday, the dreaded flashing red light of pain came on to show that my Di2 battery needed charging. Fortunately it got me home, but it served as a reminder that I needed to do some cleaning and maintenance on my Van Nic.

Whilst cleaning, I took the opportunity to stick on my Carbones with some fresh tyres, Veloflex 23mm slick on the front, Continental GP4000s on the back. Annoying that they didn't match, but they were all I had in my shoebox of new tyres.

I really love the look of the Euros with these wheels on, and it really does bring the ride alive, so much nicer then the 32h DT swiss wheels I rode on in the spring. They aren't the lightest or most aero, but the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs are superb wheels. I've had these since 2006 and have ridden them a lot. I had the PT fitted 4 years ago, raced a lot on them but have never had to true them or anything.

I'm moving house soon, so that'll be the end of the easy access to sultry beach shots, :(

Also, I know I have a lot of seat post showing.

Carl_P

Postby Carl_P » Fri Jun 19, 2015 20:46 pm

That's really nice, but then I'm a bit biased. I've actually stripped all the decals off mine now and it does look so much better. Van Nic frames have such nice build quality, it's a shame they haven't come up with a better decal solution.

How did you find the Chinese carbon wheels? I must say your latest wheels look superb against that frame 8)
Specialized Venge S Works
Enigma Etape
Orbea Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Fri Jun 19, 2015 21:08 pm

I know, I've never liked the decals and thought they looked rubbish the moment I pulled the frame out of the delivery box back in 2009. Their removal is on my 'to-do' list this winter. At least you can tell a VN from a mile off with them though I suppose. Quite right on the build quality, 6 years, 10,000 miles, no issues. I bought a Lynskey two years ago which was considerably more expensive and the thing cracked open after 18 months!

The Chinese wheels are pretty good for what they cost (£200 quid if I remember right). I bought a set of rims a few years ago and built them up myself, but the ones in the photo I bought pre-built two years later and the build quality of the rims between the two has improved considerably. I don't use the carbon rims on the Euros as a rule, but they're pretty light and roll well. However, the braking surface is quite uneven and they judder with the brakes on down hill. Usually I run them on my P3C on which I rarely use the brakes so it's not really an issue to me. I've only ever bought chinese tubular rims, I'm not brave enough for Chinese clinchers just yet.

The Cosmics are great. Absolutely bullet proof, clincher, alloy braking surface so no faffing about with pads, just brilliant. Am mulling over whether to update the decals on those too, but these ones are quite rare now and I'll never get them applied quite as well as they do in the Mavic factory so don't think I'll bother.

Carl_P

Postby Carl_P » Sat Jun 20, 2015 14:19 pm

I had a SPIN titanium stem on mine for a short while, but it constantly creaked and eventually drove me nuts. I just couldn't stop it making a noise so I've now gone back to a carbon FSA. I've also got the exact same stem as you. I'm currently using a Van Nic titanium seatpost which does look nice but may also get a carbon one just to change the look from time to time.

Had mine 4 years now, still looks great so I won't be parting with it. Shame there's not enough clearance on the rear wheel with 25mm tyres for even Crud Roadracers, otherwise I'd use it all year round.
Specialized Venge S Works
Enigma Etape
Orbea Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Harry-S

Postby Harry-S » Sat Jun 20, 2015 14:49 pm

I bought a Lynskey two years ago which was considerably more expensive and the thing cracked open after 18 months!

Blimey Ledeev! What happened? Tell us more, and how did Lynskey respond?

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Sat Jun 20, 2015 20:37 pm

Blimey Ledeev! What happened? Tell us more, and how did Lynskey respond?

The driveside seatstay cracked. I suspect that it happened shortly after I built it up as the bike always had an unexplained creak. I only found it when I cleaned the oil off the chainstay.

Photos here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12943271&start=60

The frame is back with Lynskey being mended and the whole process has already taken a month. Hopefully it'll be back by the autumn, but I won't bet money on it.

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 14:26 pm

One lunchtime last year, I went out to check the tyre pressures on my Van Nich ready for my commute home. Whilst the bike was on the rack, I found this alarmingly large crack in the down tube.

Obviously, I put this damage down as terminal so rode home very gently without touching the brakes then proceeded to dismantle the bike. By some amazing bureaucratic good fortune I managed to find the 7 year old receipt and contacted the shop (Fat Birds) where I originally purchased the frame. They in turn contacted Van Nicholas, who came back saying that the Euros was out of production, but would I like the more upmarket Aquilo instead. I cheekily asked if I could have the (internally routed) Aquilo SE. They agreed and a few weeks later, the frame arrived. What brilliant service!!!

I needed to buy a new headset, bottom bracket and seatpost as these were different standards / sizes to that fitted to the Euros. I opted to swap the forks for some ENVEs whilst I was at it and I didn’t like the hand position on the bars so I swapped those too. I had Deda RHM02 bars on my Lynskey, which I love and better still, at 18 quid they’re a bargain so fitted a set of those.

The old stem didn’t look quite right when I initially fitted it, but I had a spare black USE stem that was a warranty replacement in my spares box.

I wanted to reuse the titanium Van Nich 27.2mm seatpost, but it didn’t fit the frame as this takes a 30.9mm. The solution I used here was to use a plastic USE shim to make the old seatpost fit. I also found a spare seatpost clamp that came off my Lynskey frame when that went back for repair which went straight on!

New FSA headset, Chris King PF41 bottom bracket, Nokon brake cables, short battery mount fitted under the chainstay, black SLR and Merida ‘dots’ bar tape complete the look.

I finished the build this week and have put about 50 miles on the bike so far. I’ve been riding my Cervelo Soloist with Powertap DT Swiss wheels and GP4000 rubber, mechanical Ultegra and ‘slammed’ position so far this year. It’s quite amazing how different the VN feels. It seems to float over bumps that would have tripped the Soloist up and it even feels different to my old VN. Clearly this is highly subjective, but so far so good. I’m not sure it’s faster or slower, it’s more comfortable that is for sure.

Term1te

Postby Term1te » Fri Jun 23, 2017 15:03 pm

That's a very nice bike you've got yourself there. I have a VN Euros that is almost exactly 10 years old,and I have the original receipt. Unfortunately the frame is in perfect condition after what must be approaching 10,000 km...

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:53 pm

That sounds very familiar. I reckon my Euros had done between 5000 and 6000 miles yet looked perfect when I put it in the box to send back, apart from that crack.

antonyfromoz

Postby antonyfromoz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 19:01 pm

that Van Nicholas looks fantastic and the service you have had from them was very impressive. Not sure that I can justify another road bike at the moment but if I could than a Van Nic would definitely be on the shortlist!

Shortfall

Postby Shortfall » Sun Jun 25, 2017 19:23 pm

That's a lovely bike but fark me that seat to handlebar drop would cripple me!

Ledeev

Postby Ledeev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 15:47 pm

Thanks for that. All my bikes have been set up with this or even a bit more drop since I started riding on the road. Maybe it's something I've adapted to.

Return to “Your Road Bikes”