Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Crckd
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:36 pm

Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Crckd » Thu Sep 05, 2019 07:12 am

I am the original owner of Cannondale Quick 2016, which I have purchased from one of the Authorized Cannondale shops.
Everything went well to begin with, and the bike rode very well. But one day, while cycling on a straight, tarmacked road, all of a sudden my front wheel begun to wobble uncontrollably; the wobble was strong enough to set me straight under a heavy traffic, it was a very near miss. I had to do an emergency stop and on inspection of the bike I have discovered a massive crack along the Front Fork. It was clear that the damage was severe enough to render the bike useless and a danger to life if operated. Therefore, I had to be evacuated with the bike by a taxi.
The letter was written to Cannondale regarding this incident. Their answer was for me to get in touch with my regional dealer, which in our case was “Trial-Sport”, in Russia.
I would like to note here that the bicycle in question was originally purchased in a completely different country, and not through “Trial-Sport”. Nevertheless, I have followed all the claws of the warranty, as listed the Cannondale website, in particular: purchased the bike from an Authorized Cannondale Retailer, in assembled and adjusted condition; being the original owner; registered the bike with Cannondale on the first day of purchase; used the bike exclusively as per the supplied owner’s manual.
Initially, “Trial-Sport” was refusing to accept my bicycle for assessment, due to the fact of it being purchased in a neighbouring country and not through “Trial-Sport” directly, despite the clear warranty conditions listed on the official Cannondale Website : ” For any warranty claim to be considered, the bicycle must be brought in to an Authorized Cannondale Retailer on the same continent on which the bicycle was purchased.” After lengthy deliberations and numerous telephone calls to Cannondale, “Trial-Sport” have finally agreed to undertake a warranty-required detailed examination of my bike, as they are in fact an Authorized Cannondale Retailer in Russia.
Two weeks later I have received the results of my bike examination, in a letter from the above named shop, where they have concluded that: “the Front Fork does not have any traces of mechanical impact that could have resulted in damage from improper use; the observed crack originated exclusively due to the manufacturing defect”. “Trial-Sport” has sent the copy of this letter to the Cannondale head office, copying me in this correspondence.
Following this, Cannondale has stopped answering my emails completely and blatantly ignored my every effort at getting this calamity resolved. I have managed to get in touch with the actual director of “Trial-Sport”, who in turn was able to get hold of Cannondale, requesting them to speak to me directly, as the shop has already completed every obligation prescribed to them by Cannondale Warranty Conditions. Faulty Front Fork must be replaced by the manufacturer, end off.
After this ordeal and more than a month later, I have finally managed to get an answer back from Cannondale in which they were requesting for me to get in touch with yet another shop – the original place of purchase. This was impossible to accomplish due to the simple fact that 1. the original shop ceased to exist, 2. was based in another country, 3. that country has already strained relationships with Russia. And yet again we have entered into a long, fruitless arguments via lengthy email trail revealing a very simple fact that every Warranty Condition listed on the Cannondale website is a complete SCAM. Cannondale will demand pretty much anything they can think of in order to avoid their legal obligation to replace faulty parts resulting from poor manufacturing practices, which ultimately endanger their customer’s lives. The list of unrealistic demands is endless, here’s some examples: travel to another country (Ukraine); keep and provide the original bicycle box and packaging (unfortunately, I am not a hoarder that keeps every piece of carboard supplied with the Lifetime Warranted goods, or I would have nowhere to live); an actual proof that the bicycle was used exclusively on well tarmacked roads (again, unfortunately I am not CSI! How can you possibly provide a proof of use beyond the written summary of an Authorized Cannondale Retailer examiner?!); etc… My argument is that EVERY single Warranty Condition listed on their website was followed to the dot; and the additional conditions requested have no place to be, as they were not written anywhere, but pulled out of thin air, in order to avoid replacing the faulty part. Additional conditions contradict not only the laws of the country where their product is represented in Authorized capacity, but also the consumer laws of the US, which all were blatantly ignored. This backwards and forwards correspondence lasted well over two months, at the end of which, Cannondale declared that the “Lifetime Warranty” is in fact the lifetime of this particular model, stating that the “Lifetime Frame Warranty provided for Cannondale Quick 2016 has ended as soon as the newer model, Cannondale Quick 2017 has entered the market”, therefore rendering any claims made on their website for a Lifetime Warranty – absolutely useless.
Following this culminating statement from Cannondale, I have realised that I am wasting my time. During this painful process I have also found many similar sad stories, where Cannondale refuses to satisfy warranty claims even if a bike was used on a trainer, for example. Therefore, I’ve given my “Righty” Fork for repairs at a specialised carbon repairs shop. In addition, I’ve asked the mechanic to photograph the insides of the fork.
The final revelations of the repairs shop shocked me to the core! According to the manufacturer’s claims, my Front Fork was supposed to be made of monocoque carbon fibre. It was in fact made of three separate parts: aluminium crown, plastered with decorative carbon, and glued-on carbon feet! In addition, at the point where the blades join the fork there’s only two layers of carbon, which had dry empty cavities devoid of resin! I’d like to point out here that it was a decorative 3K carbon and NOT the unidirectional one, which should have been used in this particular advertised construction.
The mechanic has pulled apart the second foot of the fork and determined that it was made in absolutely the same fashion. Therefore, the fault observed was not even a manufacturing default, but a standard technological process at Cannondale. It becomes apparent that all of their seemingly carbon forks are constructed using the same technological principle – therefore Cannondale is defrauding their customers globally.
I would like for everyone to come to their own conclusions and decide whether or not it is worth to get involved with these scammers, who’s products might just cost you your life. I am a living proof that even a “Noname Chinese carbon” is more reliable than the Cannondale products, plus Chinese are a lot better at honouring their warranty obligations, and do not tell their customers to wee-wee off.
The mechanic at the repair shop has applied a bandage to both blades of my “Righty” fork out of UD carbon and I am continuing to use my Quick. Let’s hope that the aluminium frame won’t surprise me with similar shenanigans…

Image Image Image

Please retweet it: https://twitter.com/Cracked01430254/sta ... 84288?s=20

User avatar
meursault
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 20:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby meursault » Thu Sep 05, 2019 14:19 pm

Just be easier to replace the fork yourself, with a little cost?

I didn't read all your post, but sounds like too much energy, and too many geographic specific anomalies to bother with.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

User avatar
Franco di Banco
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 17:38 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Franco di Banco » Thu Sep 05, 2019 14:22 pm

Much too long to read all that.
Can we have an abridged summary?

User avatar
lettingthedaysgoby
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 06:49 am

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby lettingthedaysgoby » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:03 pm

Franco di Banco wrote:Much too long to read all that.
Can we have an abridged summary?

"Cannondale are rubbish" seems to cover it.


Fenix
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 14:25 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Fenix » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:09 pm

is a broken fork a calamity ?

Joe Totale
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Joe Totale » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:11 pm

"The final revelations of the repairs shop shocked me to the core! According to the manufacturer’s claims, my Front Fork was supposed to be made of monocoque carbon fibre. It was in fact made of three separate parts: aluminium crown, plastered with decorative carbon, and glued-on carbon feet! "

Nope, you're wrong there. The Cannondale Quick came with a carbon bladed fork with an alloy steerer, maybe the shop missold it to you:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV239433

User avatar
meursault
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 20:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby meursault » Thu Sep 05, 2019 15:57 pm

lettingthedaysgoby wrote:
Franco di Banco wrote:Much too long to read all that.
Can we have an abridged summary?

"Cannondale are rubbish" seems to cover it.


What do you ride? I could do with a laugh.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

mamil314
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 17:48 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby mamil314 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 16:04 pm

'that country has already strained relationships with Russia'

At least you have Crimea, right?

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Sep 05, 2019 16:13 pm

mamil314 wrote:'that country has already strained relationships with Russia'

At least you have Crimea, right?


crimea - river....
Putin on the agony....

exlaser
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby exlaser » Thu Sep 05, 2019 17:00 pm

Russian troll alert :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Van Nicholas Ventus
Rose Xeon RS

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Sep 05, 2019 19:02 pm

exlaser wrote:Russian troll alert :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's only on here to keep of poopstir


User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Sep 05, 2019 20:20 pm

It's ok, cannondale are looking at it.

Crckd
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:36 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Crckd » Fri Sep 06, 2019 02:08 am

Franco di Banco wrote:Much too long to read all that.
Can we have an abridged summary?

Summary: Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life; frame lifetime warranty is in fact till the next model comes along; Cannondale’s carbon fork is actually made of aluminium with ‘decorative’ carbon elements.

mamil314 wrote:'that country has already strained relationships with Russia'
At least you have Crimea, right?

I have not, Putler has...
If you think that I or any other ordinary person needed Crimea, then you are crazy.
If Russia did not have a large internal army defending the president, the bald dwarf would already hang on the gallows.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18545
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Sep 06, 2019 06:58 am

TL;DR
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
ABCC Cycling Coach

Imposter
Posts: 10358
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Imposter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 07:02 am

Give the guy a break - any Russian brave enough to call Putin a ‘bald dwarf’ deserves some support...

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16868
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 07:19 am

Imposter wrote:Give the guy a break - any Russian brave enough to call Putin a ‘bald dwarf’ deserves some support...


this 110%
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby keef66 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 09:02 am

Imposter wrote:Give the guy a break - any Russian brave enough to call Putin a ‘bald dwarf’ deserves some support...


I'm now thinking a cracked fork may be the least of his worries :shock:

@ O.P. - Your bike never had a full carbon fork, so "The final revelations of the repairs shop shocked me to the core!" is a bit melodramatic.

If Cannondale are dragging their feet despite a report from one of their dealers saying the fork was defective, try posting on their Facebook page.

But for gods sake stick to the facts. If you wade in there using words like scam and fraud you'll be hearing from their legal department rather than warranty claims...

Crckd
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:36 pm

Re: Cannondale “Carbon” – is a FRAUD! Cannondale Warranty is a SCAM! Manufacturing fault nearly cost me my life

Postby Crckd » Fri Sep 06, 2019 09:11 am

keef66 wrote:@ O.P. - Your bike never had a full carbon fork

I already understood about the "carbon blade". OK, the design issue has been resolved. But this does not negate the fact that the fork is defective and that the manufacturer does not fulfill the warranty.
I started talking about scam only after they came up with a hundred ridiculous reasons for refusing a guarantee. Talking with these guys is like swimming in sh!t, I don’t want to do this anymore.


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 325i, banditvic, Joe Totale and 36 guests