New Wheel set advice required.

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
oxoman

New Wheel set advice required.

Postby oxoman » Sun May 26, 2019 07:55 am

Currently using American Victory Classic 30 wheels which are coming to their end of life rim wise and wondering what I should do. Replace Rims, Factory built set or Handbuilt set. Current set have done around 10k so don't owe me anything and the hubs etc are still good. Bike gets used for commuting, Audax and light touring along with wet weather duties and I'm a svelte 85kg when at my heaviest. Ideally not looking at spending stupid money and their ten speed rim braked, rims should last me till end of the summer so no rush. Advice welcomed.
Moda Bolero wet bike.
Giant Anthem SX
Giant TCX SLR CX bike
Defy Adv Pro 2 shiny nice bike :P
Boardman comp hardtail. little oxo,s

arlowood

Re: New Wheel set advice required.

Postby arlowood » Sun May 26, 2019 09:21 am

oxoman wrote:Currently using American Victory Classic 30 wheels which are coming to their end of life rim wise and wondering what I should do. Replace Rims, Factory built set or Handbuilt set. Current set have done around 10k so don't owe me anything and the hubs etc are still good. Bike gets used for commuting, Audax and light touring along with wet weather duties and I'm a svelte 85kg when at my heaviest. Ideally not looking at spending stupid money and their ten speed rim braked, rims should last me till end of the summer so no rush. Advice welcomed.

Depends how you define "stupid money" but I would suggest a set of Borg31 handbuilts from Malcolm at Cycleclinic

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... 1-wheelset

Just over £400 for the 24/28 spoke version on Miche Primato hubs. I've been running a set of his Archetype/Miche wheels for the last 2 years and can't fault them for build quality

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Sun May 26, 2019 13:37 pm

I did look at Malcolms hand builds but wasn't sure how they compare against my original wheels. With nearly 10k miles and only 1 set of bearings at arouns 8k I can't help thinking of just replacing rims.
Moda Bolero wet bike.
Giant Anthem SX
Giant TCX SLR CX bike
Defy Adv Pro 2 shiny nice bike :P
Boardman comp hardtail. little oxo,s

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Mon May 27, 2019 06:01 am

Ive been very impressed with campag khamsins for around £140 ......

Think campag call them something else now.

OnTheRopes

Postby OnTheRopes » Mon May 27, 2019 07:51 am

I would suggest Campagnolo Zonda, good quality and bomb proof. A little over £300 at Wiggle

Svetty

Postby Svetty » Mon May 27, 2019 10:57 am

You could remove the rims, measure the ERD and then see if there is a suitable alternate rim available with +/- the same ERD (Kinlin xr31t?).

Alternatively, the wheels owe you nothing and with 10k on them you should be replacing the spokes as well in which case why not just get new.

I must admit if the hubs are still smooth and there is a reasonably priced alt rim I'd be tempted to just re-rim them using the old spokes but new nipples.
FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D

davetex

Postby davetex » Mon May 27, 2019 14:13 pm

If they are jbend spokes, you'd probably do just as well to replace the rim and spokes, can't see reusing the spokes as saving a great deal and the labour involved would be same either way.

As above, the kinlin rims are excellent in my experience

handful

Postby handful » Mon May 27, 2019 15:03 pm

oxoman wrote:Currently using American Victory Classic 30 wheels which are coming to their end of life rim wise and wondering what I should do. Replace Rims, Factory built set or Handbuilt set. Current set have done around 10k so don't owe me anything and the hubs etc are still good. Bike gets used for commuting, Audax and light touring along with wet weather duties and I'm a svelte 85kg when at my heaviest. Ideally not looking at spending stupid money and their ten speed rim braked, rims should last me till end of the summer so no rush. Advice welcomed.

I had the same wheels on my Moda and really liked them. When I replaced them I got some Fulcrum Racing Quattros which I have been very happy with. I actually bought some bargain Zondas from Wiggle but there was some kind of mix up on their pricing which they didn't honour so they offered the Quattros instead. I accepted reluctantly but have not regretted them. I also have Hunt wheels on my carbon bike which I've been more than satisfied worth but a bit more expensive and the hubs are louder than I like. As others will no doubt mention the Hunts are rebadged Kinlins I believe.
Vaaru Titanium Sram eTap HRD
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
Intense Spider 29er - mud

DJ58

Postby DJ58 » Mon May 27, 2019 17:29 pm

handful wrote:

I had the same wheels on my Moda and really liked them. When I replaced them I got some Fulcrum Racing Quattros which I have been very happy with. I actually bought some bargain Zondas from Wiggle but there was some kind of mix up on their pricing which they didn't honour so they offered the Quattros instead. I accepted reluctantly but have not regretted them. I also have Hunt wheels on my carbon bike which I've been more than satisfied worth but a bit more expensive and the hubs are louder than I like. As others will no doubt mention the Hunts are rebadged Kinlins I believe.

If it bothers you, you can reduce the noise by adding a small amount of light weight grease to the freehub mechanism.
viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13083486

Return to “Road Buying Advice”