Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
hypster

Re: Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

Postby hypster » Fri May 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
hypster wrote:Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

Just a simple demonstrable fact as you will find out in the fullness of time. Most vehicles have moved on from drum or rim brakes to discs for one simple reason. You denying that fact is obviously bollox.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 pm

hypster wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
hypster wrote:Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

Just a simple demonstrable fact as you will find out in the fullness of time. Most vehicles have moved on from drum or rim brakes to discs for one simple reason. You denying that fact is obviously bollox.

nah. you be wrong, bro.

#don'tbelievethehype
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm

The difference it fairly marginal and you'll have to decide yourself if you're the type who gets spooked when the braking gets a bit worse in the wet or not.

I see it as a fairly simple equation: I'm light enough that I stop faster than most folks regardless of braking system and I spend a lot less time braking than I do hauling the brakes around places so I don't really feel the need for disc brakes.

I have a theory that a lot of newer people to road cycling who haven't grown up with it, treat their bicycle brakes like they're car brakes, and so naturally feel much more secure with disc.

If that's the case, knock yourself out and get disc. I've seen enough older men get the heebiegeebies on descents because they don't trust their brakes.

I do trust my rim brakes, so I don't really feel the need to spend more money on them.

hypster

Postby hypster » Fri May 10, 2019 13:02 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:The difference it fairly marginal and you'll have to decide yourself if you're the type who gets spooked when the braking gets a bit worse in the wet or not.

I see it as a fairly simple equation: I'm light enough that I stop faster than most folks regardless of braking system and I spend a lot less time braking than I do hauling the brakes around places so I don't really feel the need for disc brakes.

I have a theory that a lot of newer people to road cycling who haven't grown up with it, treat their bicycle brakes like they're car brakes, and so naturally feel much more secure with disc.

If that's the case, knock yourself out and get disc. I've seen enough older men get the heebiegeebies on descents because they don't trust their brakes.

I do trust my rim brakes, so I don't really feel the need to spend more money on them.

With all due respect Rick, every sentance in your post has a veiled slur in it which is just laughable implying "You're less of a man if you need to rely on disc brakes". I think all the "remainers" are going to get really upset in the future when they can't buy a shiney, new bike complete with yesterday's technology.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri May 10, 2019 13:06 pm

It’s not so much less of a man but for some people it makes a really big difference to their descending and if so it’s worth it.

HaydenM

Postby HaydenM » Fri May 10, 2019 13:23 pm

The better you brakes are, the faster you can go in theory but it's not really safe to be at that limit on a public road so it doesn't make the largest amount of difference.

The key question is does the confidence and all weather braking performance outweigh the weight and non-aero for your typical riding? The answer is different for everyone. I've used all sorts of brakes and it's weather conditions and sightlines that hinder speed down hill for me, discs help in shyte weather which is what I do a lot of.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 13:42 pm

hypster wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:The difference it fairly marginal and you'll have to decide yourself if you're the type who gets spooked when the braking gets a bit worse in the wet or not.

With all due respect Rick, every sentance in your post has a veiled slur in it which is just laughable implying "You're less of a man if you need to rely on disc brakes". I think all the "remainers" are going to get really upset in the future when they can't buy a shiney, new bike complete with yesterday's technology.

yet again you are wrong and Rick's post is excellently well presented with all valid and true points.

if you also look through various threads on here you'll find that a lot of very experienced ridets also agree completely with Rick

#Rickisright

#don'tbelievethehype

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri May 10, 2019 13:46 pm

Errr what?

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 13:55 pm

#shocker
#Rickisright
#don'tbelievethehype
#don'tbeaclubbie

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Kajjal

Postby Kajjal » Fri May 10, 2019 14:06 pm

A fair accurate test is difficult but this is an attempt by GCN.

https://youtu.be/uHFSSXOSnxs

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Fri May 10, 2019 16:09 pm

Kajjal wrote:A fair accurate test is difficult but this is an attempt by GCN.

It’s an attempt alright

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Fri May 10, 2019 16:11 pm

Use whatever you’re most comfortable with or want to try it really makes no odds, top end rim or disc brakes work.

Edit. If you don’t know how to ride a bike stick with disc and get some stabilisers too. That way if I see you out I can avoid you.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 16:25 pm

Alejandrosdog wrote:
Kajjal wrote:A fair accurate test is difficult but this is an attempt by GCN.

It’s an attempt alright

something like that. its definitly special.

utterly unscientific and fairly pointless, but an attempt.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Webboo

Postby Webboo » Fri May 10, 2019 17:09 pm

Folk who complain about the poor stopping power of rim brakes, should try riding on Weinmann 500 side pull brakes. These were standard for bikes in the 1980s. It didn’t matter whether it was wet or dry as they didn’t work in either conditions.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 17:30 pm

or those 1980s safety brake things that came on racers.

#lethal

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Fri May 10, 2019 17:51 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
yet again you are wrong and Rick's post is excellently well presented with all valid and true points.

if you also look through various threads on here you'll find that a lot of very experienced ridets also agree completely with Rick

#Rickisright

#don'tbelievethehype

#SameShitDifferentDay
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri May 10, 2019 18:00 pm

#tellusaboutit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Fri May 10, 2019 18:40 pm

#spethal

#beefer

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Sun May 12, 2019 12:53 pm

if it helps the discussion, the majority in today's Giro stage seem to be on rim brakes so perhaps they may not be that bad

#goodenoughforPROs

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

NorvernRob

Postby NorvernRob » Sun May 12, 2019 14:18 pm

I’ve got both. Discs are great for dirty conditions and off road stuff, which is why I have them on my commuter. My ‘best’ bike has rim, and there simply isn’t a reason for me to change.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”