Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Angrod

Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

Postby Angrod » Sun May 05, 2019 11:31 am

Hi !
I want to get into road cycling, and I'm gonna buy a bike soon.
I'm a total beginner ( I've just been riding on a regular basis, on the road with my mtb, for like 7 month [between 700 and ~1300km per month], other than that I have no experience ), and I struggle choosing which type of bike to choose as a beginner willing to get in a club/train seriously to get a good level, and if possible realize my dream to become a pro and be able to make a living out of it ( although everyone told me it'll impossible to do so strating this late [I'm 23yo] :/ ).
Without hesitation, I prefer Disc brakes and don't like rim brakes at all. The thing is I read that It could be a problem having disc brakes in a group of riders with rim brakes. An rim brakes are stille very common. So I wonder if it can really be a big deal, to the point where it's better to buy a bike with rim brake for now.

By the way if you have an endurance bike to recommend [ under 2300€ ], I'll appreciate your help. Right now I feel like Trek Emonda ALR 5 Disc is a good one to go for. Boardman SLR 9.0 Disc looks good too.
I want a good bike, with good quality, that's, if possible, easily upgradable into a pretty decent bike in the future. But not a bike too good for a beginner that won't even be able to use all the potential of the bike.

Thanks, and I hope my topic wasn't too much of a pain to read, I'm not a native english speaker.

cougie

Re: Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

Postby cougie » Sun May 05, 2019 13:41 pm

Rim or disc makes no difference. Lots of pros are still on rim brakes and they don't pay for their bikes - so ignore the marketing hype. They just want to sell new bikes.

2300 is a lot for your first road bike - pay half of that and you'll get a bike that's more than good enough and when you crash it you can repair/replace it.

If you're good enough you won't be paying for bikes in a year or two but it's a long shot.

Join a club and learn how to ride there.

Good luck with it.

paulwood

Postby paulwood » Sun May 05, 2019 14:01 pm

If you prefer disc brakes and are comfortable with how to look after them then get disc brakes.

The perceived problems of groups riding on a mix of disc and rim brakes seem to have been a non event. The pro peloton is a mix of disc and rim brakes.

Not going to suggest a bike, I'm a rim break rider myself. There are loads of great bikes for well under your budget. Just make sure you get one that fits properly.

Angrod

Postby Angrod » Sun May 05, 2019 19:21 pm

cougie wrote:2300 is a lot for your first road bike - pay half of that and you'll get a bike that's more than good enough and when you crash it you can repair/replace it.

The thing is I really love riding my bike, and ride it at least ~2h30 per day. So I want to buy myself a pleasure since bike is the only thing I would invest a lot into.
Thanks for the encouragement !

paulwood wrote:The perceived problems of groups riding on a mix of disc and rim brakes seem to have been a non event. The pro peloton is a mix of disc and rim brakes.

Ok I see, disc brakes it will be then.

Thanks for the help !

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sun May 05, 2019 19:23 pm

Angrod wrote: The thing is I read that It could be a problem having disc brakes in a group of riders with rim brakes.

It isn't.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Sun May 05, 2019 19:31 pm

no bike will be too good for you. its just a bicycle. buy disc or rim brake - it doesn't make a difference. ignore people who say you are spending too much - its your money and if you are riding it lots then you will have something nice.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Angrod

Postby Angrod » Sun May 05, 2019 19:48 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:no bike will be too good for you.

I guess the only problem would be me feeling guilty not exploiting the benefits I got from paying like 300€ more. It feels like a waste spending extra money to have, for example, a carbon frame although I won't even be able to appreciate it since I don't have any point of reference.

lesfirth

Postby lesfirth » Sun May 05, 2019 19:57 pm

It will not be a problem for long. You soon get used to spending money on bikes and cycling stuff.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Sun May 05, 2019 21:13 pm

Angrod wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:no bike will be too good for you.

I guess the only problem would be me feeling guilty not exploiting the benefits I got from paying like 300€ more. It feels like a waste spending extra money to have, for example, a carbon frame although I won't even be able to appreciate it since I don't have any point of reference.

hopefully you appreciate nice things. its a waste of money to buy something you don't really want.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Wayne Plunger

Postby Wayne Plunger » Sun May 05, 2019 22:50 pm

If you have the money buy what you want, I spent years saving for a rainy day that never came, now I have loads of money but not great health.

Enjoy it while you can.

hypster

Postby hypster » Mon May 06, 2019 09:12 am

Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

Alejandrosdog

Postby Alejandrosdog » Mon May 06, 2019 09:36 am

this is a good example of marketing twaddle meets internet numpties and creates confusing tosh that drives people to spend a ton of money they dont need.

to the OP Buy what you want....
Disc or rimbrake it makes no odds unless you have a very very narrow performance advantage for either. Generally good rim brakes are excellent, so are good disc brakes. I prefer the asthetics of rim brakes plus I have a load of wheels. Ive noticed that in the real world i brake much later than my club mates going into corners down hill I stop just as quickly, even in the wet and i dont get brake fade when Im in the Pyrenees.

of course there may be an element of skill and experience but none the less my personal experience has been i just dont see what the hype is about. My race bike is a few years old, its not aero and i dont get dropped. It only has room for 23mm tyres, yet i feel quite comfortable. I dont use a a garmin mapping device but i dont get lost, I havent had a bike fit and my knees havent exploded.

Despite mocking power for an amateur for years I have to concede that training and power is a revalation. no need to race with it, I prefer to do what needs to be done.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon May 06, 2019 10:00 am

Alejandrosdog wrote:this is a good example of marketing twaddle meets internet numpties and creates confusing tosh that drives people to spend a ton of money they dont need.

Disc or rimbrake it makes no odds unless you have a very very narrow performance advantage for either. Generally good rim brakes are excellent, so are good disc brakes. I prefer the asthetics of rim brakes plus I have a load of wheels. Ive noticed that in the real world i brake much later than my club mates going into corners down hill I stop just as quickly, even in the wet and i dont get brake fade when Im in the Pyrenees.

of course there may be an element of skill and experience but none the less my personal experience has been i just dont see what the hype is about. My race bike is a few years old, its not aero and i dont get dropped. It only has room for 23mm tyres, yet i feel quite comfortable. I dont use a a garmin mapping device but i dont get lost, I havent had a bike fit and my knees havent exploded.

Despite mocking power for an amateur for years I have to concede that training and power is a revalation. no need to race with it, I prefer to do what needs to be done.

^^ This should be pinned at the top of this forum.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm

hypster wrote:Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Matthewfalle

Postby Matthewfalle » Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Imposter wrote:
Alejandrosdog wrote:this is a good example of marketing twaddle meets internet numpties and creates confusing tosh that drives people to spend a ton of money they dont need.

^^ This should be pinned at the top of this forum.

agree completely.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Mon May 06, 2019 13:34 pm

I haven't got disc on any of my 3 bikes and never tried them but I was under the impression that disc were definitely better especially in the wet. I know GCN did a video/test on this and this is what they found. Marginally better in the dry but significantly better in wet. Are you all saying then that this is incorrect?

Not taking a contrary stand point, just asking.

GCN video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hKMgUEku4

This was two years ago so bound to be tons of other videos around now but this is the one I recall watching at the time.

I should say I'm more than happy with rim brakes on my bikes, I almost always only ride in dry anyway. If I regularly rode in wet maybe I'd consider discs.

Another edit: Chris Hoy says disc definitely better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UUNxw8Rg1M
Last edited by SurferCyclist on Mon May 06, 2019 13:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meursault

Postby meursault » Mon May 06, 2019 13:39 pm

SurferCyclist wrote:I haven't got disc on any of my 3 bikes and never tried them but I was under the impression that disc were definitely better especially in the wet. I know GCN did a video/test on this and this is what they found. Marginally better in the dry but significantly better in wet. Are you all saying then that this is incorrect?

I have disc on my Synapse and Rim on my Boardman. The only major difference I notice is in the moments when you have to stop now, preferably sooner. Disc is a bit more responsive under those emergency situations. I prefer the look of disc in that there nothing (obviously) where the rim brakes would normally be.

I'm happy to ride either.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

meursault

Postby meursault » Mon May 06, 2019 13:40 pm

meursault wrote:
SurferCyclist wrote:I haven't got disc on any of my 3 bikes and never tried them but I was under the impression that disc were definitely better especially in the wet. I know GCN did a video/test on this and this is what they found. Marginally better in the dry but significantly better in wet. Are you all saying then that this is incorrect?

I have disc on my Synapse and Rim on my Boardman. The only major difference I notice is in the moments when you have to stop now, preferably sooner. Disc is a bit more responsive under those emergency situations. Of course, they are both going to skid when physics determines that point. I prefer the look of disc in that there nothing (obviously) where the rim brakes would normally be.

I'm happy to ride either.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon May 06, 2019 13:49 pm

If discs were an advantage worth having do you not think that someone like Sky/Ineos would make sure they were all using them ? Marginal gains and all that.

SurferCyclist

Postby SurferCyclist » Mon May 06, 2019 13:52 pm

cougie wrote:If discs were an advantage worth having do you not think that someone like Sky/Ineos would make sure they were all using them ? Marginal gains and all that.

Good point, only thing maybe is the extra weight of disc brakes? Watching Tour de Yorkshire I noticed that more teams are using disc brakes these days but plenty riders still on rims.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”