Di2 or disc brakes?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Titiandv
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 am

Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Titiandv » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Considering getting a 2019 Cervelo s3. Undecided between 2 options:
1. ultegra di2, rim brake with Magic cosmic elite
2. Ultegra (mechanical), disc brake shimano 8070 hydraulic with disc Mavic cosmic elite cl
Option 1 costs 600 usd more than option 2
Thoughts?

User avatar
CookeeeMonster
Posts: 1937
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:47 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby CookeeeMonster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Ride in rain = disc brake else DI2

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16870
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

CookeeeMonster wrote:Ride in rain = disc brake else DI2



this

how much would rim brakes and mechanical Red or D/A be?
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

YiannisM
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 18:17 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby YiannisM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:26 pm

Disc brake all the way. With 600 euros you can upgrade on Di2 in the future, but if you buy rim brake you stuck with it. Actually disc brakes is the only reason that i have some thoughts to replace my other than that beloved Inifinito CV.

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby keef66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:28 pm

Titiandv wrote:Considering getting a 2019 Cervelo s3. Undecided between 2 options:
1. ultegra di2, rim brake with Magic cosmic elite
2. Ultegra (mechanical), disc brake shimano 8070 hydraulic with disc Mavic cosmic elite cl
Option 1 costs 600 usd more than option 2
Thoughts?


I'd definitely choose the one with the magic wheels :D

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16870
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:31 pm

YiannisM wrote:Disc brake all the way. With 600 euros you can upgrade on Di2 in the future, but if you buy rim brake you stuck with it. Actually disc brakes is the only reason that i have some thoughts to replace my other than that beloved Inifinito CV.


but what if he doesn't ride in the rain?
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24127
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:36 pm

Di2 is mature and initial problems people reported with failing connections and dodgy software updates seem to have faded. Disc brakes are useful in a limited number of instances, but they are hardly something exciting.

Neither of them is a real "upgrade", they are both vanity purchases, but if I had to choose one, I'd probably go for Di2

Titiandv
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Titiandv » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:40 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
CookeeeMonster wrote:Ride in rain = disc brake else DI2



this

how much would rim brakes and mechanical Red or D/A be?




Unfortunately they don’t offer that option. Would have to go for another bike.

backo
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby backo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:43 pm

Di2 all day long...it will put a bigger smile on your face.

The only time I can justify disc brakes is when riding a bike that is filthy with grud, namely on a Friday of commuting all week during the winter. Used to scare the hell out of me braking on filthy rims and nothing happening for a couple of seconds. Other than commuting day in day out this aint a problem unless you dont wash your bike or.......... have disc brakes!

Titiandv
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Titiandv » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:45 pm

Matthewfalle wrote:
YiannisM wrote:Disc brake all the way. With 600 euros you can upgrade on Di2 in the future, but if you buy rim brake you stuck with it. Actually disc brakes is the only reason that i have some thoughts to replace my other than that beloved Inifinito CV.


but what if he doesn't ride in the rain?



Disc brakes for riding in the rain sounds like a good idea but I NEVER ride in the rain. Mexico has lots of mountains so that would be the only real use of the disc brakes (riding down of them).

I think It would be easier to switch from rim to disc in the future than from mechanical to di2.

Kingstonian
Posts: 1702
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 21:14 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Kingstonian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:50 pm

Titiandv wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
YiannisM wrote:Disc brake all the way. With 600 euros you can upgrade on Di2 in the future, but if you buy rim brake you stuck with it. Actually disc brakes is the only reason that i have some thoughts to replace my other than that beloved Inifinito CV.


but what if he doesn't ride in the rain?



Disc brakes for riding in the rain sounds like a good idea but I NEVER ride in the rain. Mexico has lots of mountains so that would be the only real use of the disc brakes (riding down of them).

I think It would be easier to switch from rim to disc in the future than from mechanical to di2.


You can't switch from rim to disc on the same frame - the bike is built to be one or the other. You could theoretically switch the front fork of a rim brake bike for a fork with a disc mounting, but you couldn't also change the back wheel to disc braking.

I'd go with disc brake and a high end mechanical gearset.

jspash
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby jspash » Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:08 pm

Consider this; if you go with discs you will "never" have to buy another set of wheels for the life of bike. (in theory. real life doesn't always apply)

cougie
Posts: 22419
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby cougie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:15 pm

I've always had rim brakes. Ive worn out one rim in 35 years of cycling. Discs won't be a big wheel saving for me.

kingrollo
Posts: 3213
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby kingrollo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 15:00 pm

DI2 Easily

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby keef66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 15:11 pm

My oldest rim braked wheel is coming up for 12 years old and I can still see all the wear indicators. Think the (now deteriorating) condition of the cup n cone hubs will dictate when I eventually bin them, not rim wear.

In my defence most of my riding is on quiet, gently undulating country roads, I brake fairly infrequently and I don't weigh very much.

If I was stop-start commuting in all weathers, weighed 18 stone or had any frequent, long descents, then rim wear and hence disc brakes might concern me.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 24127
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 15:38 pm

if you never ride in the wet, disc brakes are just a waste of money. Modern rim callipers are very good in the dry, pretty much on par with disc brakes.

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16870
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 16:22 pm

Titiandv wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
CookeeeMonster wrote:Ride in rain = disc brake else DI2



this

how much would rim brakes and mechanical Red or D/A be?




Unfortunately they don’t offer that option. Would have to go for another bike.


what bike are you looking at?
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

keef66
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:46 am

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby keef66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 16:24 pm

The thread started out with "Considering getting a 2019 Cervelo s3. "

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16870
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 16:27 pm

keef66 wrote:The thread started out with "Considering getting a 2019 Cervelo s3. "


ah - that old chestnut, eh...
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16870
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Di2 or disc brakes?

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 16:38 pm

di2 then. no discs. best of two pointlessnesses.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests